ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever, my butt will be watching Saturday. I'm just pissed I have to wait that long. Hell, I wish they could hastily schedule an ass kicking in Bowling Green tomorrow night. Win win. Rick would love it and this team needs games!

You guys are great about letting players develop. You were all so supportive of Nick Richards his first 2 seasons, it was really heartwarming.

But seriously, the culture has to change and it has to start at the top. Cal has to make it crystal clear that it is ok for some players to stay 3-4 years. And he has to play the players that are best for the team to win games now, not the ones who will be better NBA players in the future.

I'm great with signing an Askew, but let's not force him into a 30+ minute role if he isn't ready. He might be one of those guys who flourishes as an upperclassman, but we sure as hell will never find out.

Sign more players like Willis, Hawkins & Richards and less athletic freaks who can't play basketball.

Clarke is far and away most disappointing so far. And the main reason is his handle. I was expecting a slashing effortless scorer with a shaky 3 point shot but amazing mid range game. Instead he looks like he’s about to dribble it off his foot every possession and he bricks five footers. However my big hope is Sarr and Jackson will be terrific by end of year - think they compliment each other great and if Sarr wasn’t in foul trouble we win last night easy. Still think Boston will get his jumper going soon for whatever reason.

I get this, but I attribute a lot of the early issues to a bad spacing of the floor due to the defense sagging from Boston and Clark which when they attack from the wings clogs it up, and then add whatever defender is on Sarr or Jackson being close by too.

That stalls them out on the drive, and with Askew I mean there is absolutely NO lane to move through.

The lane would clear if only one or the other are in at a time, but if they both are in then one of those 2 need to start down in the corner just for spacing.

I would love to see this lineup/backups play out:

Mintz, Clarke, Allen, Jackson and Sarr

Askew, Boston, Toppin, Brooks, Ware

Cold Tuesday game nights like last night always bring me back to when I was a kid. I grew up out in the country and the cable company wouldn’t come out our way. So whenever the Cats were on ESPN, Dad would take me to this little country bar about a mile down the hill - Miller’s Tavern for those familiar with southern Campbell County. Dad just called it Paul’s- the owner. I usually had basketball practice myself then would come home and get my homework done, put on my UK gear and we’d roll down for the 9pm tip already redassed about the Big 10 game going over and keeping us from seeing the start.

Paul’s was a smoke pit dump of a place with an honest-to-God outhouse as the only toilet option if you chose not to just piss outside which we always did. We’d sit at a table by some old Zenith monstrosity but it had ESPN and the Cats so we were happy as hell to be there. Dad would buy me a coke and chips, and have a few canned beers himself and we’d watch the game among a couple drunks saddled up at the bar. Dad usually knew them- he knows everyone, “how ya been Wayne?” I’d say hi to May, the owner’s wife who was always sitting there in her rocking chair.

Looking back it was a tad weird and perhaps some suspect parenting to have this 11-14 year old in a bar on a week night inhaling secondhand smoke yelling at the TV. I tend to look at the parenting as colorful and country so I’m all good with it.

Occasionally the drunks would give me shit, saying they were Louisville or UC fans and I’d give it right back. Paul’s is where I watched our revenge game on Kansas in late ‘91, a couple of those early 90s Indiana thrillers and the first half of the Mardi Gras Miracle, among many others. Usually, Dad would take me home at half but he’d let me listen to the rest of the game in my room with the lights off.

Place is still around. I hang a right past it every time I visit my folks.

In summer ‘95, Dad had seen enough- he got Direct TV. We knew this was a special season and he’d be damned if we couldn’t watch all the games at home. Even let me purchase the $89 College Basketball Package, as he knew I was obsessed and concerned with the competition around the country that year. When we finally cut them down, all I can remember is hugging him, and then my cousins Travis and Todd who lived across the street and watched every game that year with us. I can’t explain the feeling- first Cats title in my life.

Last edited:
Cold Tuesday game nights like last night always bring me back to when I was a kid. I grew up out in the country and the cable company wouldn’t come out our way. So whenever the Cats were on ESPN, Dad would take me to this little country bar about a mile down the hill - Miller’s Tavern for those familiar with southern Campbell County. Dad just called it Paul’s- the owner. I usually had basketball practice myself then would come home and get my homework done, put on my UK gear and we’d roll down for the 9pm tip already redassed about the Big 10 game going over and keeping us from seeing the start.

Paul’s was a smoke pit dump of a place with an honest-to-God outhouse as the only toilet option if you chose not to just piss outside which we always did. We’d sit at a table by some old Zenith monstrosity but it had ESPN and the Cats so we were happy as hell to be there. Dad would buy me a coke and chips, and have a few canned beers himself and we’d watch the game among a couple drunks saddled up at the bar. Dad usually knew them- he knows everyone, “how ya been Wayne?” I’d say hi to May, the owner’s wife who was always sitting there in her rocking chair.

Looking back it was a tad weird and perhaps some suspect parenting to have this 11-14 year old in a bar on a week night inhaling secondhand smoke yelling at the TV. I tend to look at the parenting as colorful and country so I’m all good with it.

Occasionally the drunks would give me shit, saying they were Louisville or UC fans and I’d give it right back. Paul’s is where I watched our revenge game on Kansas in late ‘91, a couple of those early 90s Indiana thrillers and the first half of the Mardi Gras Miracle, among many others. Usually, Dad would take me home at half but he’d let me listen to the rest of the game in my room with the lights off.

Place is still around. I hang a right past it every time I visit my folks.

In summer ‘95, Dad had seen enough- he got Direct TV. We knew this was a special season and he’d be damned if we couldn’t watch all the games at home. Even let me purchase the $89 College Basketball Package, as he knew I was obsessed and concerned with the competition around the country that year. When we finally cut them down, all I can remember is hugging him, and then my cousins Travis and Todd who lived across the street and watched every game that year with us. I can’t explain the feeling- first Cats title in my life.

giphy.gif

Reactions: UKRob 73 and wcc31
John Wall and Jamal Mashburn will forever be my favorites. Just turning point recruits. Timing is everything, bud gd, they were so good just when we needed em'.

Reactions: wildcat1973
Judge Mattox invited me to a Zoom meeting for motion hour tomorrow.

GYERO meets my inbox. Life, a rich tapestry lol
Small world.

Speaking of, do any of you UK law dogs know a guy name Jordan? He lives up the street and is apparently one of the top medical malpractice lawyers in the city.

Only talked to him once and it was about basketball. Seems to be a good dude.

I signed off the internet, ostensibly permanently, in a fit of rage following the football game last weekend. I don’t know why I still let UK football do that to me, but it does. Cocksuckers.

I’m sure I missed some uplifting basketball discussion in the meantime. I’m assuming I’d be better off not going back and reading the last ~30 pages.

Happy Advent. The Light of Christ is coming soon to redeem us all. Or not.

Hell yes! I am stoked about the idea of Russ/Beal on the same team! They got a few other pieces that will make them interesting in the East.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT