ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
* Breakfast is the best meal of the day, and it's not close. Even thoughtless meals, like cereal, are amazing.

I hate almost all breakfast foods (especially eggs) and if given the option will always order a dinner entree for breakfast. People who eat breakfast for dinner are simpletons, imo.

Reactions: Col. Angus
-Was told the CWS concert was Sturgill, Stapleton, and Childers so pretty disappointed. Wouldn't mind seeing Willie before he dies but the other two are a big ol meh. Have nothing for Stapleton and wouldn't show up for the Crow portion anyway.

-Here in body but my brain is not in it today. Other than helping my boy tfields I basically shut work out for 7 days, which I never do. Trying to kick start it but I'd rather leave my randoms for your pleasure.

-Flew out of CVG which we should take advantage of more often. Easier drive than SDF and have CLEAR so we can zoom though.

-Landed in Telluride at 9p and it was pitch dark so no look at the landscape until we woke up the next day. :flushed: Absolutely the most jaw dropping views I've ever seen. Most of it looks fake. We were up in the Mountain Village looking down on Telluride but the city is boxed in, hence Box Canyon, by gorgeous 14,000' mountains. All covered with aspen trees that were turning yellow right now. Everywhere you looked was awesome. Town itself was cute, no chains, backdrops at the end of streets were amazing. Fancy people covered in Patagonia labels like they walked right out of the catalog. Tons of ski bums working odd and end jobs to make it through the summer and cover a lift ticket.

First day we went fly fishing, my first attempt. Drove out to a lower elevation and fished a little hidden spot on the San Miguel River. Easy to see how that sport becomes addicting. Caught 2 in my fumbling attempts to cast and set hooks. Very neat experience. Finished that off with Brown Dog pizza, Detroit Style, and a few draft crafties.

Second day, tried our hand at mountain biking. Followed the Galloping Goose converted mining trail from 10,800' down to the valley floor. Spent some time at a crystal blue lake flanked by a 12,000' peak which may have been the most beautiful place I've ever been. Ride was pretty easy, wish we would've done some uphill, but the views were awesome. Tacos at Gnar something Tacos, great, and celebrated the nuptials that afternoon at an overlook that was perfect.

-Headed off to Napa the next day. Spent a couple hours in Palo Alto waiting on the rush hour traffic to die down. Really cool place. Stanford is unreal. Hard to not be enchanted by that weather.

Up and wine tasting early Saturday, I think 4 or 5 spots, and hammered by 5p. Dinner at Brix (good) I got the risotto, from what I can recall.

Thankfully took the morning off Sunday to go sweat out some of Saturday and grab lunch, Girl and the Fig(ok) I got the Croque Madam, before trying out Sonoma and hammered again by like 5p. Walked in R+D in Yountville, I had the cuban and she got the fried chicken sandwich which was great.

Monday hit up Bothe Napa SP for a hike and a close up at some redwoods. Not a ton of them but still some good views and a nice break from drinking wine. 2 more wine tastings and a nice nap before finally ending the trip at The French Laundry.

That place is just insane. Easily one of the best meals of my life. I was convinced I'd be disappointed and was completely blown away.They just have it down. Everything is perfect. Atmosphere is great, they played fun 80's music to lighten things up. Service is top notch as expected and really do a good job not making it too stuffy. Brought us a little extry of the items we loved. The black truffle mac n cheese is the best thing I've ever eaten. Brought the whole truffle out in a walnut humidor with a special crew to grate it, lol. Reminded me of a bottle service procession in a LV mega-club. All guest get custom menus, invites to the kitchen for a real look inside, we got to open the fridges, talk to the chefs, hang out with the manager, it was an event. Not one that we could do often but we've regretted not doing it last time and after 13 years of anticipation it lived up to the hype.

-Few brief observations:
*Cali is so damn interested in the cliche environmental and sustainable issues but completely overlook the fact they all drive everywhere... and seemingly at the same time. 6 lane highways jam packed at 10p. Maybe ease up on the straws and worry more about fuel consumption/emissions. That fakeness wears me out more than the KY rednecks throwing trash all over the place.
*The motorcycles out there are allowed to drive down the middle of the lanes. They have to die at an alarming rate.
*When wine tasting, most can't ship to KY, so the sales pitch dies quickly and you typically can find a good conversations after that. Also, 1 tour and tasting is PLENTY for a day. Imo, the small places are the best.
*I'm going back to Colorado soon. The people can be a bit much but it's such a great place.
*Crew trip to wine country would be fantastic, rent house, get a driver, tastings during the day and cook a big feast while guzzling the days picks in the evening. Shew. Someone needs to organize that for next fall.

Last edited:
Sometimes I reflect on my life and where I am and feel good about myself, even a little proud. Reading anths post was not one of those times.

Reactions: TheShowKiller
- One of my buds moved to Colorado two years ago, giving up the life of being a partner in a law firm. I really need to go see him.

- I didn’t worship Sonoma/Napa as much as some (wife included) do but it was still really cool and the red wine there and in Italy is next level.

Isn't he the guy with the rape button in his office?

Oh he is a creepy POS, I just don't buy this particular accusation.

Haven't been to telluride in years, but it's one of my favorite places. Not the easiest place to get to, but the town/ skiing was phenomenal.
Interesting telluride story. They had a grocery store with like three aisles, carpet floor, the size of a two car garage. I'm getting groceries and who else is grocery shopping? Christi Brinkley. I passed her no less than 9 times, she even looked at me and chuckled my last go around. Didn't think I was obvious, but apparently so.

I fully appreciate Cal for all that he does on and off the court. Not to mention all of the intangibles that come along with the job and being able to look the monster that is Kentucky Basketball in the eye and make it flinch. He doesn’t get enough credit for the on the court results over the last 10 yrs... Most regular season wins, most tourney wins, and most Final Fours and we all know why. 2015.

That being said we can all be critical over his preferred style of play in March. Let’s shorten the game, limit the opposing team’s possessions and play ultra inside /out conservative. Shit is really starting to drive me nuts. Granted the way the NBA game is played with more of an open floor helps but it’s amazing how much looser our guys look once they get to the NBA than they do at Kentucky. Perhaps Cal shouldn’t scream like a fng maniac during every possession and demand we pound it down low all of the time and just let our guy’s natural instincts/talent take over.

Cal has always evolved over the course of his career in terms of style of play or philosophy so I’m hoping that with this year’s personnel he plays more up tempo and outside/in.
Spot on

Blessed to receive an offer from Northeast Southwestern Central Coast Alaska State Tech A&M MMI.

Kids tweet out anything like ^that^ these days. Don’t even sign. Just get a junk letter in the mail and then think they’ve arrived. C’mon kids.

New memoir out on Coach Joe B. Hall

9780813178561.jpg

The conversational tone of this book evokes the sense that Coach Hall is sitting right across the table from you, telling his life story for the very first time. -- Doug Brunk, author of Forty Minutes to Glory: Inside the Kentucky Wildcats' 1978 Championship Season

Joe B. Hall is the best friend a "rival" ever had. His book is one every Kentuckian should read! -- Denny Crum, former head coach, University of Louisville men's basketball

I've long said that few coaches in our game have ever had as difficult of a task as what Coach Hall faced at Kentucky. To follow a legend like Coach Rupp is incredibly tough. Coach Hall not only continued the tradition of winning and excellence, he did it with grace and humility. I am happy that now there's a book that looks back on all that Coach Hall did for this state and this university and examines how he did it. He's been a mentor and friend to me, and I'm thrilled our fans will be able to read about him. -- John Calipari, head coach, University of Kentucky men's basketball

From being a Kentucky basketball fan as a boy, then a Wildcat player himself, and ultimately the head coach at the University of Kentucky, Joe B. Hall knows Kentucky basketball like no other. Add in his legendary storytelling ability, and you have a great read! Here for the first time ever, Joe B. has put his countless memories on paper. -- Kyle Macy, assistant coach, Transylvania University men's basketball

It’s pretty remarkable the consistency of excellence from Kentucky basketball, going on 90 years now. Especially when looking at the struggles of Indiana and UCLA, Notre Dame/Tennessee/Michigan on the football side.

We’ve had a few dips but immediately reset ourselves. Joe Hall had a lot to do with that. Followed a legend and added to our tradition. Tough to do.

Is there a precedent for Indiana basketball? Maybe the Ivy League schools in football, but that was more of a total system overall. I can't think of a school that was a legit blue blood for as long as they were in every sense of the word totally fall off like they have.

Tennessee football, I guess.

Reactions: Col. Angus
It’s pretty remarkable the consistency of excellence from Kentucky basketball, going on 90 years now. Especially when looking at the struggles of Indiana and UCLA, Notre Dame/Tennessee/Michigan on the football side.

We’ve had a few dips but immediately reset ourselves. Joe Hall had a lot to do with that. Followed a legend and added to our tradition. Tough to do.
Whatever, Cal has lost in the tournament to someone every year since 12’. Pretty disgraceful record if you ask me.

IU will be back as soon as they hire a homerun. Davis, Sampson, Dakich, Crean and Miller obviously won’t cut it. Hopefully by the time they do we are sitting pretty with 9 or 10 titles. Because after Cal leaves who knows what we will go through for a time period. History for us is on our side but we need to pad the title list while we have a HOFer stalking cawoods court.

Cal is always a step ahead, I wonder how much thought he has given the transition from him to whomever and if he has any plan to ease that transition for the next guy. I’ve thought he’d make a great athletic director to help that out but I think Peevy is in line for that.

IU will be back as soon as they hire a homerun. Davis, Sampson, Dakich, Crean and Miller obviously won’t cut it. Hopefully by the time they do we are sitting pretty with 9 or 10 titles. Because after Cal leaves who knows what we will go through for a time period. History for us is on our side but we need to pad the title list while we have a HOFer stalking cawoods court.

Cal is always a step ahead I wonder how much thought he has given the transition from him to whomever and if he has any plan to ease that transition for the next guy. I’ve thought he’d make a great athletic director to help that out but I think Peevy is in line for that.

Sampson is definitely the caliber of coach who could win a title at Indiana.

Unfortunately, he *gasp* called recruits too many times while there.

Is there a precedent for Indiana basketball? Maybe the Ivy League schools in football, but that was more of a total system overall. I can't think of a school that was a legit blue blood for as long as they were in every sense of the word totally fall off like they have.

Tennessee football, I guess.
What about Nebraska?

Tennessee has at least given off the illusion that they have been good a few of those Butch Jones years, even though they weren't. Butch brought hype to that program and then did things like call 5-yard out routes on 4th & 11 against Vanderbilt. Tennessee can get back, it's just going to take better management.

Nebraska though...Eric Crouch won the Heisman, and then they got killed by Miami and they were done forever. I don't think they can ever get it back. It's a shame they canceled production on the Nebraska football 30 for 30. I guess when you have Lawrence Phillips on your team, the less people know what happened, the better.

Crean, Miller, Sampson - these all looked like the kind of coaches who could bring IU "back" when they were hired. The difference between IU and UK is that if those types of coaches were hired at UK, they probably would have had much better success than they did at IU. In other words, UK, the program, is more likely to be of benefit to the coach than IU, the program. Obviously there are exceptions (Gillispie) but that has generally been true.

Reactions: parrott and wcc31
Big 4 Sports MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL
Longest Droughts Without Winning Playoff Round
Expos/Nationals 1981 (OVAH)
Bengals 1990
Lions 1991
Browns 1994
Reds 1995
Bills 1995
Panthers 1996
Padres 1998
Dolphins 2000
Braves 2001
Mariners 2001

Pitino got off my shit list coming back and speaking at Keightley’s memorial service at Rupp. All was finally forgiven, I could move forward.

Then off course his jackassery returned when he flipped us off in 2015.

It was a great speech though.

Reactions: august-west
- Interested to see how the lass hangs on Saturday ... Going to be a looooong day and night.

- Thoughts on the chiropractor? Seeing one now. I was skeptical but dude cured my elbow tendinitis for about 10 months.

- Blink is pretty damn awesome. May try to hop over to Covington tomorrow night.

- Having a contractor come check out our bathrooms for possible remodeling. The big issue is our claw foot tub. How do you get that thing moved? Seriously...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT