ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Masters is just so well timed -- the perfect full page-turning weekend from March Sadness into Spring. :golf:

-Holed out from 140 on Saturday for eagle on my home hole #4, Par 4 -- couldn't even remember the last time that's happened. Bogeyed the next hole in proper fashion.

-57% of the bets, and 62% of the Money on TT as of now. Total is pretty even, but be interesting to see which side gets the late steam. 9:20 tip [eyeroll]

Last edited:
Great idea to have a 9:20 tip tonight. College basketball just keeps making one fantastic decision after another.

Porsche is shined up, top is down, looks to be a gorgeous day at Keeneland.

Sparty On.

Sorry I missed you out there, didn't even realize you all were there until I saw the picture of Cat with Julia and some others yesterday. Those drink lines and waits were ridiculous.

Reactions: drxman1
Usually there aren't any lines at all at Keeneland.

Ha, was referring to why I took so long to finally make it outside and ended up missing seeing a lot of people according to the boss. Stupid, obvious comment on my part noted, though.

Cal needs to start recruiting 3/4 star kids that play stifling defense and can shoot the lights out, and have aspirations of owning their own medical sales business. These are the ingredients to winning in college basketball in 2019. Yes Zion will sell tickets but we are in the business of hanging banners around here. Thank you Texas tech basketball

Before we go all "everything is changing"...
  • High school talent is a bell-curve rather than linear, meaning that the gap in talent between the #1 guy and the #50 guy is generally a lot bigger than the gap in talent between the number #100 guy and the #200 guy.
  • If you re-ranked them now, Culver would be a 5-star. Sometimes players develop late or don't get noticed. See Ja Morant. In Culver's case, he's not a freak athlete, but just a tremendous player.
  • To me their roster looks like a few dudes who can make threes and a rim protector surrounding a star player (all of whom can play D) - aka what all NBA teams are trying to do.

Reactions: Col. Angus
Pete Thamel is an awful turd who writes about made-up people, but I unfortunately found myself agreeing with a lot of this.

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-this-ncaa-title-game-is-a-sign-of-things-to-come-051035271.html

I’ll tell you what’s going to happen- Silver will open up the floodgates. Five years in, he’ll be dealing with the inevitable backlash from front office types, veterans and high school kids who flop and have no future - leading back to some sort of system making college essential again.

Frankly, I think Silver’s stance here is BS.

SERIOUS INQUIRY: Are national titles worth the price of watching a style of basketball that you personally loathe?

While I much prefer an up tempo game, I don't find the 'style' of either team bad to watch. UVA's overall offensive numbers are off the charts, shoot a bunch of 3s, and generally play beautiful & sound basketball. Both teams defenses play a large part into that as well. Big difference in the way they play than, say, a Mick Cronin team that just plays rough, slow, and ugly as hell on purpose.

People, myself included, bitch and moan nonstop about OUR offense in most years. The whole "style" thing is severely overrated on the surface, imo. If your team is going 31-3 in the ACC (or any conference for that matter) over a 3 year period, and a 1 seed every year in the tournament, you're gonna be pretty happy.

Last edited:
I too hope we recruit crappy players and hope they develop into stars 3-4 years down the road. Getting the best players we can get sucks.

Reactions: CatsFan75
Ha, was referring to why I took so long to finally make it outside and ended up missing seeing a lot of people according to the boss. Stupid, obvious comment on my part noted, though.

Don't take any sass from Dk.

Yeah the drink line got a little worse than usual Saturday, of course it didn't help they only had two bartenders where four could have easily worked out on the lawn. Don't see why they can't setup a couple extra spots out there on the weekends. It's not like it'll cut into the bartenders tip jar. SERVE US DRINKS.

We'll need to plan another dinner/band night soon. Cole's and Zack Attack FTW, that was a fun night.

While I've taken a pause loading up on the bourbon collection, nice little score today from my old faithful. Just went in to get some wine and my lady gives me the wink...you looking for some bourbon today???Weller, EH Taylor small batch, and 2012 Maker's bottle. Don't mind if I do.

Guess I'll pull for tech tonight.

Reactions: CSC81
If Michigan St. had beat Texas Tech, we'd still be in store for a low-scoring, grind it out national title game. But the narrative would have been totally different. Having Texas Tech in the final game allows sportswriters to create the narrative that TTU and UVA are the same - low rated recruits, boring basketball, etc. Not sure where any of that is coming from. I mean, wouldn't you take Ty Jerome/Kyle Guy over any backcourt in the country? Both were Top 50 guys and are super-experienced juniors.

-Saturdays at Keeneland are miserable anymore, at least at this age/point in life, especially if it's nice out. Happy with my Thursday/Friday approach. Probably head out this Friday, in fact.

-9:20p? I'll be in bed reading before the under 16. Don't give a shit who wins.

-Open the game up some on the court and off the court. Give the kids a reason to skip the DLeague and spend a year or 2 in college. Everyone wins.

Last edited:
-Saturdays at Keeneland are miserable anymore, at least at this age/point in life especially if it's nice out. Happy with my Thursday/Friday approach. Probably head out this Friday, in fact.

Sundays have become our low-key favorite day. Pretty chill in the clubhouse, we take the kids, a lot of our friends do the same, and they all run around on the lawn while us parents enjoy a couple cocktails and collides.

Okay, three in one day, that's enough out of me for a while . . .

Reactions: drxman1
So Dan Wetzel is only about 4' tall?
D3pvj1yXoAAAgOP.jpg:large

If Texas tech wins the national championship that’s crazy. Imagine if someone from 2019 came and visited you in literally any other year and told you that. If you’d made me list, in order, every power 5 team that I’d say will NEVER win a national title Texas Tech would’ve probably made the top 3. Who is more far fetched? Washington State/Oregon State? Rutger?

My point exactly. The whole world knew what was gonna happen, they should have prepared.

Great Effort.

- As always, Keeneland knocks it out of the park and knows exactly how to do racing, but that Thursday night concert scene at the Paddock was a mess.

Drove up to stay Thursday-Sunday, got to the track just to get a drink and check things out. No thanks. Hit up Harry's.

We took the mom to her first time there Friday. She came with $50 and walked out with $25. Bought her two drinks. If you can get out of that place only down $25, not bad. Also found over the last four seasons to make friends with ushers in owner's boxes that aren't being used. All chalk. It seemed that way in October, too. Hit last two races for some dinner/drinking money. Marikka's Bier Stube. Very spacey, but that indoor beach volleyball court and sand all over the place was odd. Oh well, the brother-in-law enjoys it, so we went along.

Saturday was absolutely perfect; and an absolutely perfect way to dangerously day-drink and gambol with "scared money makes no money" mentality. And that's exactly what we did. Usher hook-up again. For sure was a buy-two-16oz-beers-and-know-the-second-one-will-be-a-little-warm scenario when betting. Chalk again. Threw $200 on a 4-1 and, of course, it slipped coming out of the gate. Didn't stand a chance and my beer-filled blood was boiling. It was time to go. We had zero interest in Uber and night out at bars. So being at Beaumont we decided to stumble over to J Renders for the first half of the MSU/TT game.

A Sparty/Auburn final would have solidified me as the Bryant bracket winner, I believe, so that made the bad GAMBOL day worse. Do you pay 2nd place? If so, go Red Raiders.

Sunday was an absolute horrible drive hungover in the rain.

Another key to an easy Keeneland day: get online day of ticket sells and get Lexington/KY or Phoenix room. No worries other than betting winners. Or get there a little early and put your name on the list and hope someone cancels.

Two, 8-hour days at Keeneland is exhausting. Would I do it every weekend? Yeah, I believe so. Winning would have made it better, I believe.

See you at the track, Saturday.

- Speaking of horses, this Derby is so wide open, you could tell me 12 different horses you liked and I'd shrug my shoulders and say, "I don't see a thing wrong with it."

I've never seen so many prep races won by inferior ponies. That being said, gun to head today, give me Roadster. But, that can fully change in the next 5 weeks. I can smell some good exotics being won and potential life-changing $$$ in supers.

Last edited:
Kennedy’s being torn down is just weird. Knew it was coming but it just looks completely alien. Downer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT