ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know a civil job that gets no adulation, is a really important and often dangerous gig, and doesn't pay much -----> social workers.

Rough gig.
Rough gig is about as much of an understatement as you make.

A job making about $40k if you've got your Masters in SW. Literally devoting their day to day helping people in difficult situations to try and improve upon their circumstances, while most of the time getting nothing but grief and flack from the people they are thing to help.

Takes a special type of selflessness to do that job.

So chase hates Cops and the military. Anything else?
By the way, I'm not shocked.

-re: cops. They dont risk their lives everyday. They primarily observe a
nd report...they dont protect anything concretely. They are necessary and appreciated...but not monolithically heroic. The people who build your buildings/roads are much more likely to die on the job.

This is a pretty idiotic post.

There are numerous jobs that are more "dangerous"....but only one that is "required" to potentially put their life on the line each and every day as part of the job detail.

Go tell the families of the Dallas cops who were executed that they weren't heroic, or the Houston officer who drowned trying his hardest to get to an area to help those in need.

Ignorant.

Reactions: Stonewall12
My mom was a social worker for 10+ years. Her 2nd day in the office a lady walked in, handed her a newborn and said she didn't want him... and it was downhill from there. Instead of Xmas gifts for each other we'd all just go to WalMart and load up on sweatpants/sweatshirts of all sizes and random snacks to give the kids she saw who literally didn't have clothes to wear or food to eat. She would have to cut the tags off the clothes before giving them to the kids to keep the parents from taking them back for the money.

Several times I would ask her about work that day and she'd just say something along the lines of "I'm not gonna tell you about work today because I can't bear to repeat it." After a young teen confessed to her about OD'ing another kid, she couldn't continue on with it anymore.

A job making about $40k if you've got your Masters in SW. Literally devoting their day to day helping people in difficult situations to try and improve upon their circumstances, while most of the time getting nothing but grief and flack from the people they are thing to help.

Thay system is so flawed and I can't imagine. Lot of young people in those jobs. I think Willy's neighbor was just an example of how that can be the worst. We saw it first hand as well. People are just awful, when you're that bad off you neglect babies, and these jobs are on the front line of it. Mercy. Got a bunch of stories on it.

I like giving Bob tons of shit but he went to war and just about all military signs up for that. To fight in wars they may not even agree with. Props from me.

Similar with cops who are mostly great people caught up in a shit system and basically hated by most of the public. Really disappointed in the narrative directed at the police officers these days.

I'd be scared as shit to be a cop. No way I'm doing that job. May give Johnny Law a hard time now and again but i totally respect the vast majority of them. Hats off from me for doing that profession.

My great grandfather was a cop and was killed in Oldham County while investigating a robbery suspect back in the 50s. :(

Like Anth said, most of those guys are just doing their jobs.

I'm a proponent of tenured public servants having well-funded pensions and believe they've earned them. As a member of the private sector, I like my 401k.

:boom::boom::boom:

I value our public servants, too.

That's why I don't like to see them F'd over by an antiquated retirement system. Have they also earned the current agonizing and suffering they're going through, as politicians secretly determine their fate?

Pensions are ridiculously stupid.

Reactions: natron20
Other than a Jack Welsh type robbing a pension what is so bad about them?

My stepdad just retired, and didn't put his own money in the pension as that was an automatic thing in his company. He did contribute to the 401K but the pension is 4x what his 401K is.

My sister, with a MSW degree, worked as a social worker right out of school. Her job was to work with really poor people to help them with their budgets and spending habits.

They nearly always were making more than she was.

My wife was a foster care social worker for medically fragile children (and their siblings) for five years in NYC, all five burroughs. And a quite a few of them died during the adoption process from rare medical conditions. Now she works in a (poor) neighborhood clinic as a social work care manager. Fun fact: I designed a crappy $17k concrete bathtub during that NYC time period. So, we both had some low points back then.

From what I can tell, she is an ad-hoc life coach for people who should have never had children, and my (internal) justification for her job is to help sate the lower class and hold off a full-blown societal revolt.

And you can just about double-up the 40k estimate if your Bachelors is in Genetics, Clark. A Canadian Bachelors, even. Thank God.

The problem with low pay in social work is that A) it's a completely unessential job, and B) It is right up there with Home Economics are the Ur-M.R.S. degree. It was a borne out of a volunteer field for bored wives of professionals who didn't get paid anyway and a lot of the non-profits are still headed up by these old bats - to this very day.

Last edited:
My ex wife was a social worker.....only because she didn't make it through the State Police Academy. In my experience they are a bunch of hens who like telling others how to raise someone else's children.

I'm sure there are some good ones but for the most part, bleh

My ex wife was a social worker.....only because she didn't make it through the State Police Academy. In my experience they are a bunch of hens who like telling others how to raise someone else's children.

I'm sure there are some good ones but for the most part, bleh

How dare you say something bad about military police social workers!

Potential future of American Tennis on ESPN right now against Fed. Won Set 1 but he's folding quickly

Of all the crises this Commonweatlh faces, the state of the child welfare social service agencies has to be considered among the worst.

Educate yourself: http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...cial-worker-crisis-looms-louisville/87994122/

This state has as many abused, neglected and hungry children per capita as any in the nation, if not more, depending on which figures you look at. This issue should be at the forefront of the Commonwealth's public policy conversations. Sadly, it's a laughably underfunded afterthought.

Reactions: Century Cat
Other than a Jack Welsh type robbing a pension what is so bad about them?

My stepdad just retired, and didn't put his own money in the pension as that was an automatic thing in his company. He did contribute to the 401K but the pension is 4x what his 401K is.

His pension check was bigger? Well, shit. Why didn't you tell us earlier??

Hard to argue with such concrete evidence. Pension are better for everyone. Case closed, imo.

Didn't say that. Your repeatedly bashing them and my point is other than Jack Welch([thumb2]) screwing over those at GE by robbing their pension for some risky ass venture what is so bad about a pension?

I've never worked anywhere with one but I don't hear my friends who work for Ford or Toyota etc hating the pension plan.

Considering my only experience with them at all is my mom(former govt employee) and my stepdad(former chemical engineer at DOW) and if it wasn't for their pensions then their retirement would be significantly less.

You are a numbers guy so I'm asking.

Didn't say that. Your repeatedly bashing them and my point is other than Jack Welch([thumb2]) screwing over those at GE by robbing their pension for some risky ass venture what is so bad about a pension?

I've never worked anywhere with one but I don't hear my friends who work for Ford or Toyota etc hating the pension plan.

Considering my only experience with them at all is my mom(former govt employee) and my stepdad(former chemical engineer at DOW) and if it wasn't for their pensions then their retirement would be significantly less.

You are a numbers guy so I'm asking.
Cmon man, a little critical thinking por favor. Any ideas as to why Ford, Toyota, and Dow are different than the gov funding a pension? And in your Mom's case sounds like she got out before the music stopped.

Just two totally different scenarios gov vs private I don't care what Jack Walsh says.

Well damn it. Day started great, read GYERO, now i need to go back to bed and start over. Last 2 pages was pure, runny, shit. Other than Rudd dropping knowledge on a fool, and doing one of the very best low key humble brags (throwing Chevy Chase neighbor in the convo letting everyone know his residential status). That is about the only thing worth reading, well other than Docs agreeable meal.

Public/Private sector pension funds were basically created by labor unions. And it became an easy fringe benefit for management to hand out in lieu of increased wages. Problem is, of course, that it becomes mammoth obligation that new CEO's or govt leaders have to deal with down the line.

Fun facts:

-I waited tables at Louisiana Lagniappe in summer 2003 (before my senior year at UK). 4:30 – 9:30 every day. I don’t think I walked out of there with less than $100 cash any night. Had a classic Jeep Cherokee. Picked up a 22 oz and some Marlboros every night after my shift. Best of Chicago and Alabama Greatest Hits cassette tapes that I rocked damn near exclusively all summer long. Best 3 months of my life, arguably.

-Over a year now without a smoke (August 26, 2016).

-I have 23 shirts at the dry cleaners right now. Hung with light starch FTW.

Well damn it. Day started great, read GYERO, now i need to go back to bed and start over. Last 2 pages was pure, runny, shit. Other than Rudd dropping knowledge on a fool, and doing one of the very best low key humble brags (throwing Chevy Chase neighbor in the convo letting everyone know his residential status). That is about the only thing worth reading, well other than Docs agreeable meal.

Catching up on GYERO and utterly blown away you still post. Do yourself and the thread a favor. Go find whatever hole that cawk gobbler Kramer hid in and pour some gas in it, drop a match and jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT