ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really want to start playing golf. The main issue is finding the time to get away from Dad duty for 5-6 hours per round. The lass is fairly firm with me helping out as much as possible with the Lil lass.

Reactions: Wodie Sloot
I may be speaking out of turn because I'm divorced with no kids, but I usually get an 8:30 tee time, and I'm home before 1:00 unless I get behind a slow group.

Coffee turns to beer on the back nine and home for a late lunch. It's a pretty perfect kick off to the weekend.

Nicklaus has often said that golf is a better game if it were 9-12 holes and not 18. Will be interesting to see how it evolves moving forward.

In 2035 the U.S. Open will be 9 holes, football will no longer exist, MLB will be 4 innings, the NBA will have a continuous running clock, soccer will still be a fringe sport in America, and everyone will have so much extra time to post on Facebook and Instagram about their stay at home MLM opportunities. The future is certainly bright.

If you can't handle 18 holes because you get bored or you don't have time, that's fine, your priorities are different. But it certainly doesn't make the game suck. If anything, it makes you suck, and you're probably a garbage loser and your family hates you.

Really want to start playing golf. The main issue is finding the time to get away from Dad duty for 5-6 hours per round. The lass is fairly firm with me helping out as much as possible with the Lil lass.

The key, Rich, is to spend your entire life playing the game and use it as the primary outlet for your insatiable competitive streak, so your wife understands that you have to get out to practice and play because it's the only thing that makes you feel alive in the monotony of life, and if she nagged that away like everything else, you'd be just a hollow shell of a man.

Best of luck, buddy. It's a great sport.

Maybe if some of you would stop forcing your 8 year olds to play 180 baseball games in three months you would have some time to chill, have a beer or two on the course and play an adult's sport.

:100points::100points::100points::100points::100points::100points::100points::100points::100points::100points::100points::100points:

If you're taking 5-6 hours per round, that's on you and your companions.

Nearly every single person I play golf with has children, wives, or both -- guess they are true miracles or terrible husbands/fathers.

If you *truly* want to play/learn golf, you'll find the time -- just like anything else. Be strategic. You don't have to be at the course 5 days per week for 30 hours to learn and/or enjoy golf, especially someone in banking/business like Richie.

Be smart with it -- play early...or late so you aren't gone "all day" (from her view). Missing out, doggy.

Last edited:
e86c4ef7-462c-4f2a-8ba2-ea427cff10c5_zpsgjkdu9dn.png

I just don't like golf...but I get it. Outside in beautiful "parks" tossing back a few with your buddies. I especially get it since I have found the joy in getting up early on Saturday mornings. It's my favorite time of the week by far.

Reactions: BleedBlueCats21
Golf's biggest problem is the time it takes to play. In today's short attention span world...cell phones...instant gratification...etc...that's a problem. A round takes 4 hours, and the pre-post stuff adds up to 5-6 hours. Unless you do it first thing in the morning, you pretty much spend your whole day playing golf.

This. Clearly it is golf's problem you have kids and limited time to play it.

Jfc.

- Every Sunday we manage to play 18, 7-11:30 and have the rest of the day to f off.

Some things that would help overall but will never happen.

- Handicap dictates tees you play. Not much worse than the gaffot 20 handicap trying to play back.

- No kids under 15 until the afternoon. Great you're teaching them but they suck, impede fast play and are annoying.

- Clocking Asians and blacks. No explanation needed.

- Marshalls actually working.

Other than some annoyances here and there, if you play early then you can get on and off a course at a consistent rate.

I love golf and have ample time to play it *generally* whenever I want (within reason), it's just that I don't have enough time to get GOOD at it. That's MY issue.

F rule changes, the greatest thing to happen to golf in the last ten years is Bluetooth speakers and streaming audio. I absolutely worship listening to music out there... not sure it gets much better.

No offense Rich, but that's on you. You get away...she gets away. Give and take, and if you can't get away 1-2 times a month for 5 hours, then you have more problems than just "dad duty".

I offered to bet, both in GYERO & w/ Anthony in private, that he wouldn't be Top 8 -- it was discussed multiple times. I really thought he'd be the 4th or 5th PG, behind Smith and possibly the Frenchman. Turns out he's 3rd.

All the confident people, Zero (0) to be exact, took me up on it. He'll probably go #5 to the Kings, but I still wouldn't draft him that high - obviously rooting for the kid, he's awesome. If he were to steal Lavar's #2 slot, he'd jump way up my kates rankings based on that alone.

Monk, otoh, seems to be slipping...

Last edited:
If, and it's a big if, Harry Giles gets his stems back to 100%, he'll be one of the biggest draft steals in years.

Last edited:
Some things that would help overall but will never happen.

- Handicap dictates tees you play. Not much worse than the gaffot 20 handicap trying to play back.

Old school rack... plus... anyone carrying a 15+ is forbidden from using a $3+ ball. It's gonna get lost anyway and you're gonna spend way too much time looking.

Reactions: catlanta33
I must be one of the most self-aware noobs in golf history. I use cheap balls and rarely look for them for more than a minute. If I slap one 50 yards off the tee, I just scoop it up from the cart and play from the best shot.

If no one is behind us, I'll really seek out tips from playing partners and work on my game. Otherwise, I'll save the training for the range.

Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Skiing... F em all!

If a fun activity requires extended time and equipment then count me out. I can still ball and play tennis. I'm good.

:pimp:
  • Wildcats in the House: With three Kentucky players expected to be drafted Thursday night, head coach John Calipari will also pay a visit to the main set a visit during the evening:pimp:

Reactions: roguemocha
They're coming to Lexington too, Chad. That's what happens on a tour. They go to multiple cities. They didn't specifically choose Cincinnati to come play a one-night-only show, with Uncle Al as the opening act.

I like Lexington. Used to live there.

You know it's a slow day when someone gets taken to task for tongue in cheek banter that is borderline self-deprication. Y'all need to chill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT