ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm mildly curious as to why there is always the desire to turn to tv once established.

I mean Bill Simmons is god awful on tv and has foresaken anything he is good at. If he would just go buy a laptop without a wireless connection and lock himself in a room until he knocked out five columns, the world would be a far better place.

I assume there must be a revenue motive or, at least, some desire to promote the brand. But the things that make people good in print or in radio broadcast (in whatever form) very rarely translate well to tv. And yet it gets tried over and over. (See Goodman, Jeff et al).

Not a knock on Matt and I respect the hustle, just always kind of made me curious because the motivations are not immediately obvious if the desire is to put out good content. Again, I assume the paycheck must be substantially different.

I disagree with whoever said that "it is too late" to do a local PTI knockoff...the reality is there is no such thing and really never has been. The idea of talking about what is going on locally on television in an entertaining debate style has never really been done. Will it work? That remains to be seen, but it hasn't really been tried in Kentucky on the local level (it is successful in some other markets)

The question as to why you try television is simple. People who are seriously driven in any field want to test themselves. By the time I moved the blog to radio, I was ready not to write at that regular, everyday pace any more. There were many people who said I wouldn't be successful at radio and I did it anyway because I wanted to try...and it has worked. I love the show and it is great but I want to test myself in other areas.

I am doing this particular tv show for one reason...I think it is unique here and I think I can do it well. After KSTV, I told myself I would never do local television again. But this is a chance to do something beyond just UK sports and give my own show a shot...something few people get a chance to do. Plus they are putting real money into it, which the other show really didnt when I was on it.

The other reason is if I am ever going to go national (which may not happen because financially it won't make sense), then I need to get better on television. ESPN Radio is a nonstarter for me because the path to do it (move up to a bigger market outside of Kentucky, do well and keep rising), doesn't make sense financially for me due to the success here. But tv is a realm where I have a chance....when I went to ESPN this summer, I was offered to learn to do Sportscenter (something I haven't really shared) on ESPN News. But it would have required me to move to Bristol, give up my life here, etc. I told them that wasn't my goal and they said to me basically "you can do these opinion shows...but you gotta get tv practice. We will give you a little here in fill-ins from time to time, but you got to get more." Then the next week I was offered this show and it made sense.

Thats a very long-winded way of saying, if I am ever going have to the option to do more than KSR, now is the time to try. If it ends up not working, or if I decide KSR is the rest of my life, I can be good with that. But so long as I am (relatively) young and single and my career is my focus, you gotta try new stuff. Its the only way I can keep my brain functioning

For real though this variety show format is something you may want to keep in mind for the offseason just saying is all

- Jones gets us again. Remember when we came up with the idea of GYERO TV back in '09 but couldn't get it together because of egos and funding (both Anth's fault, imo)?

- Billy Hamilton is a savage.

I disagree with whoever said that "it is too late" to do a local PTI knockoff...the reality is there is no such thing and really never has been. The idea of talking about what is going on locally on television in an entertaining debate style has never really been done. Will it work? That remains to be seen, but it hasn't really been tried in Kentucky on the local level (it is successful in some other markets)

The question as to why you try television is simple. People who are seriously driven in any field want to test themselves. By the time I moved the blog to radio, I was ready not to write at that regular, everyday pace any more. There were many people who said I wouldn't be successful at radio and I did it anyway because I wanted to try...and it has worked. I love the show and it is great but I want to test myself in other areas.

I am doing this particular tv show for one reason...I think it is unique here and I think I can do it well. After KSTV, I told myself I would never do local television again. But this is a chance to do something beyond just UK sports and give my own show a shot...something few people get a chance to do. Plus they are putting real money into it, which the other show really didnt when I was on it.

The other reason is if I am ever going to go national (which may not happen because financially it won't make sense), then I need to get better on television. ESPN Radio is a nonstarter for me because the path to do it (move up to a bigger market outside of Kentucky, do well and keep rising), doesn't make sense financially for me due to the success here. But tv is a realm where I have a chance....when I went to ESPN this summer, I was offered to learn to do Sportscenter (something I haven't really shared) on ESPN News. But it would have required me to move to Bristol, give up my life here, etc. I told them that wasn't my goal and they said to me basically "you can do these opinion shows...but you gotta get tv practice. We will give you a little here in fill-ins from time to time, but you got to get more." Then the next week I was offered this show and it made sense.

Thats a very long-winded way of saying, if I am ever going have to the option to do more than KSR, now is the time to try. If it ends up not working, or if I decide KSR is the rest of my life, I can be good with that. But so long as I am (relatively) young and single and my career is my focus, you gotta try new stuff. Its the only way I can keep my brain functioning
The first thing you need to do is disregard the opinions of gyero drunks. Listen to regular drunks such as myself. You do you, I'll do me. As long as you are UK centric you will be successful with us, when you venture out, you're just a regular white guy with no schtick. I think you can learn.

- Jones gets us again. Remember when we came up with the idea of GYERO TV back in '09 but couldn't get it together because of egos and funding (both Anth's fault, imo)?

Anth is terrible on camera. Sorry bro, take some acting lessons.

- Billy Hamilton is a savage.
Remember when so many people came up with the idea of you meeting up with them at the SEC tournament in Nashville that one time? Remember the excuses you came up with?

He is more successful than any of you will ever be, with the exception of Anth, whose future is set in stone.

I think what you do is awesome and you clearly know how to lasso an audience.

I give you major props for maintaining cajones and my post was not intended as an attack on you. I hope it was not perceived that way.

I guess the better summation of my post would be that with media demassification, local television is more of an appeal to the masses rather than a niche. You have a niche. And a damn good one. Going after tv seems to be a move away from the niche, but I am not privvy to the stats, etc.

I get always wanting to achieve against all odds and I don't think I have my finger on the pulse of Billy Joe Wildcat, so I say go out there and make it happen...

...by putting Chester on tv, dammit.

Reactions: TheShowKiller
There's no way Chester is real. I remember stretching the believability too far with a shtick about his errant pregnancy math and realizing he wasn't the father of his forthcoming child at one point - and then he disappeared for a while.

SportsNet NY had a fairly entertaining PTI clone with the main "Gaurdian Angels" dude. I bet he'd be happy to Skype in.

If you need me, I've got plenty of game tape out there, Matt. I used to read & record the Friday sports page for the Central Kentucky radio for the blind station while at UK and have a wildly successful podcast of my own. And I know the difference between freshwater, saltwater, and brackish water. So I'll bring that to the table.

Reactions: wcc31 and SAECATFAN
The reason to go into TV is pretty simple. WAAAAAAAY more advertising dollars rolling in for TV vs Radio. So, good luck Matt. You gotta give it a shot. As for going national, same thing - WAAAAAAAY more dollars for doing national TV than Kentucky TV. That'll be a tough road to hoe, especially with your focus and expertise being UK Bball, but clearly not impossible. I will say, a lot of your success is your passion for UK sports,and therefore willingness to call out the powers that be at UL and in the media. Tougher to muster all that chutzpah over the Mariners or Panthers, but again, not impossible.

Go for it, and worst case scenario, you are a KSR lifer - not a bad gig.

I was anti the Congressional run (because it was a terrible idea), but this makes a lot of sense to me.

Reactions: WettCat
-Took GYERO's advice and pulled the trigger on the south end chick I brought up a while back. A few times. Now she won't leave me alone, oh well, she'll eventually get the hint that I have no intentions of doing anything else besides banging.

-Chugging along steadily with KSR. Weekly post every Tuesday at 5:30. Kind of dope to have free reign to write whatever the hell I want to, honestly didn't expect it to be like that.

-Doing an hour long podcast is pretty damn hard. Still working to get mine and Shootbag's show added to the KSR iTunes feed. After Matt hears our latest episode with BRax and Transy our shot at that happening are slim. S/O to those guys for taking time to do it though, it was honestly a hell of a time. Not even gonna think about linking it on here because you all tell me I suck enough already.

-College football Saturday can't get here soon enough. Ready to tailgate. Wouldn't be opposed to stopping by a GYERO tailgate for a little bit and meeting some of you rascals. Not sure if I'm cool enough yet for that though.

-Played a ton of golf in northern Michigan a few weeks ago. Highly recommend that area if you're a golf trip guy. Fired my best round of the summer, 73 with a double on 10. Great way to cap off the season.

Happy Wednesday, folks

The other reason is ....

We all get confused...no worries.

But in truth, isn't your "one reason" and "other reason" simply to garner more name and face recognition to potentially achieve success with your political aspirations? No fault in that...just need to come clean. After all, starting a show right before what is going to be an interesting football season and a promising basketball campaign is brilliant.

Brax talks? Think he only uttered 5 words at LexGel.

Worldwide Harris would probably be good on the TV show, but good luck keeping him in the #2 seat. #BigTime

I guess in NYC, they hoe roads. Good for you Dennis.

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
Those damn Michigan commercials have me sold on the place- and I'm dead serious. May take the lass next year...depending upon future Tommy reports.

Reactions: MotorCityKat
Bay Harbor in Harbor Springs is a must play. Right on Lake Michigan. Best course I've ever played and it's not close, really.

BayHarbor-Links3.jpg

bayharbor1.jpg

BayHarbor-Quarry3.jpg

September is the play for Michigan. Less mosquitos and humidity, weather still great, can still get out on the boat, and the foliage. Oh my god the foliage.

Those damn Michigan commercials have me sold on the place- and I'm dead serious. May take the lass next year...depending upon future Tommy reports.

My buddy James has a badass house up there right on the beach of Lake Michigan in Ludington. 5 of us are heading up there the weekend of the 11th for football, golf, fishing, boating. Ill give you a full report.

Reactions: wcc31
Where is Brax podcast. People want to hear.

And Brax when you went to go record the podcast, did you have to explain that to your family?

See ya guys going to record a podcast, meet you at Copper River when I'm done?

-_________-

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT