ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand it comes with the territory when you work somewhere that employs a few thousand people, but do I really need 3 or 4 e-mails to let me know there's a severe thunderstorm watch in Fayette County?

Larry Brown may be shady but he's pretty much gotten the opposite of a "pass" unless you think Tarkanian got a pass . When I think of coaches who get or got a pass, K, Dean Smith, Knight, Pitino are who I think of.

I understand it comes with the territory when you work somewhere that employs a few thousand people, but do I really need 3 or 4 e-mails to let me know there's a severe thunderstorm watch in Fayette County?
xlarge.png

All you need imo

Valid point or not that whole surveying NBA GM's of who they would start Harrison or Ulis deal that Goodman did after we destroyed UCLA by 100 was absolutely malicious.

Can't imagine how much fun these kids have at the Cal bball camps. He does a really good job making certain that all of our players are really involved not to mention all of the pro players that come back to help.

In 91 I was in complete awe when Reggie Hanson was my coach at Pitino's camp. Can't imagine how cool it would be to have a current NBA player be your coach.

Larry Brown may be shady but he's pretty much gotten the opposite of a "pass" unless you think Tarkanian got a pass . When I think of coaches who get or got a pass, K, Dean Smith, Knight, Pitino are who I think of.

Nobody in basketball history has gotten a bigger pass than that guy. He's the slimiest coach in my lifetime. Just shamelessly Fs everyone and everything he touches.

He's incomparable to any of those guys you posted, including Tark.

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
I don't think any college coach today gets a bigger pass than Urban Meyer. Smartest thing he ever did was work for ESPN for a year and become buddies with everyone there who covers college football.

- Any new places in Lex to do dinner? Got a date night with LSAT tonight and I am coming up blank on where to take her.
Minglewood (former owner of The Dish)
Middle Fork
Pasta Garage (casual, owners of lexington Pasta supposed to be good. )
Upstart Crow (protesting due to stupid name)
Lockbox (21c and really good, my suggestion)

I think there will even be some revisionist history with Tark. In many ways, he's just a less polished version of Calipari.

Because Larry Brown is a Carolina guy. That's why.

Growing up no coach got under the old man's skin more than Dean Smith. Bobby Knight was a great coach just a complete physco. "Cool Hand Luke" Denny Crum was a masterful tactician at making in game adjustments and was somewhat a trailblazer in his prime with his affinity for big/athletic guards.

"Saint Dean " and the whole Carolina Way facade though?... Total and complete fraudulent coated bullshit. Not to mention the Four Corners went totally against the way Rupp coached and the proper execution of the fast break. Man, he loathed Dean Smith.

Larry Brown has coached at THIRTEEN different spots. All 3 stops in college ended in NCAA sanctions, and most of his NBA career was riddled with sudden departures, fights with players, management disputes....

Oh, in addition to all the other usual stuff you'd criticize a coach for off the field.

He wins. By a lot.

Reactions: _Chase_
HBO's "Runnin' Rebels of UNLV" documentary that came out in 2011-12 right before Tark got sick is one of the best documentaries they've ever done. I know the truth is always somewhere in the middle with these things, but the NCAA representatives who spoke on the documentary seemed twice as slimy as Tark was, and Tark was grabbing guys straight out of jail to play on his team.

Tark will forever be a bad mofo to me for A) Beating a really good Duke team by 30 in the national title game and it wasn't even that close, and B) Suing the NCAA and WINNING. Plus, he could coach his balls off. It wasn't just rolling the balls out there, even with a fair amount of knuckleheads on the team.

There was also a great clip in that documentary of the press conference before that Duke game where a reporter asked Greg Anthony about the game being "good guys vs. bad guys" and Anthony said "Who's the bad guys? Duke?" That reminded me of some of the crap the 2012 dudes took, like Chuck Klosterman writing about how for the good of the game and the future of the game, Kansas needed to beat us in the title game.

Tark ruled.

The fact that Jeff Goodman has managed to make it to TV remains astounding to me. He is genuinely physically repulsive - a real life Assy McGee.

Plus, he can barely get the words out, and then, what he has to say is typically useless or worse. So, ugly, can't talk good, has blah/lame/stupid commentary. A triple threat of suck.

Brown has gotten a total pass, what are you talking about? You must mean the slaps on the wrist the NCAA has given him. Those were pretty minor compared to what he's done.

But the media has given him a complete and total pass. 3 schools, all with NCAA violations - and that's just the stuff he got caught for. And yet NO ONE in the media has ever really called him out on it. Let alone the fact that he can't seem to stay anywhere for more than a week or two. Dude is a complete slimeball and asshole. I don't care if Cal sings his praises or not - whatever Cal has done shady - he learned from Brown -who of course learned from Dean Smith. The media gav Dean Smith a complete pass as well, but that was mainly because they refused actually look into his program.

Calhoun is definitely at or near the top of my EAD list. As are all UConn fans. The. Worst.

And speaking of getting a pass - the one writer I've seen be critical of Brown - Pat Forde - writes:

"He will be 76 in September, and expected SMU to extend him into his 80s. He just had his program harshly sanctioned by the NCAA, and frankly should have been fired for that. "

So Pat, you also think UL should fire Pitino? The violations under his watch were MUCH worse than what Brown "should be fired over". Haven't seen an article calling for Pitino's head though, hmm.

Last edited:
Saw Nazr at the Lake Forest driving range yesterday evening. Pretty funny to watch a guy that big swing a club. He was pretty smooth.

When I left, he had what I assume to be his Bentley parked in a non-parking space (UL license plate btw :cry:)

The whole CC deal is weird to me. Someone parked a Lamboroghini in a regular spot a few weeks ago. Just a ton of luxury cars and then my 10 year old sedan.

Mr. Big Shake makes a pretty good fried chicken. Fries are hand cut like 5 Guys too so that's a plus.

We did the UK baseball camp after Booker recommended it. It was great. Lots of current players/coaches from every university within 200 miles, got to play on the prestigious cliff hagan field, free gear, the works. Plus, they were selling surplus game hats for $20 so dad picked up a few. Anyway, his team is now sponsoring all the kids to go for basically free so I wasted a lot of money. But that's life sometimes

Reactions: BleedBlueCats21
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT