ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

- Im gonna need to see how catfaggreenwoodmall responds to Wayne's last post before yal call it quits on the topic. So by all means please continue with the negro league banter. Its good stuff for a wednesday while Im waiting for BYU's sixth man to decide if he is withdrawing from the draft.

- 4th grade girls team is heading to gatlinburg (THE SMOKIES) to play some basketball with the middle school team this coming weekend. 20+ middle school girls in one cabin. I look forward to the ball I do not look forward to anything in between.

- Parents are taking my boy to KPP to watch some high level Divison 1 baseball while we are in Tennessee. He is gonna be in heaven.

- Do the reds suck ass again? Or have i missed PTIs glazing posts?

- I enjoyed watching Robert De Niro getting heckled on the streets of NYC more than I should have. Hoping the trend of telling sanctimonious celebs to phuck themselves continues. Professional pretenders giving me advice on literally anything in the world is needed / wanted as much as a hard to reach itch on the scrotum.

Taxi Driver Clapping GIF by Hollywood Suite

Maybe it's just the Cal fatigue, but I can't think of many things less appealing to do during the summer than going down to Rupp to watch former Cats in the TBT. I mean, I hope they do well and will always be Wildcats, but I could not care less. Over/under on how many turn out to watch that...500?

Reactions: pretzel__logic
Maybe it's just the Cal fatigue, but I can't think of many things less appealing to do during the summer than going down to Rupp to watch former Cats in the TBT. I mean, I hope they do well and will always be Wildcats, but I could not care less. Over/under on how many turn out to watch that...500?
I don't know. It really depends on the quality of the effort to promote this. If anything, I'd love for it to be an opportunity for the fans to show the Cal era players that any frustration they had towards Cal at the end does not equate to a lack appreciation for what those players accomplished while at UK.

Reactions: jayroon
According to LMPD if you are a celebrity you should stop for ANYONE trying to reach in on your car and tell you to stop. Even if you are going into the place where you earn millions of dollars and were instructed to go in.

People get so worked up arguing Yogi Berra vs Johnny Bench or Ruth vs Aaron or Josh Gibson vs Ted Williams, and nobody ever saw many of these guys play with their own eyes. It's all stories and stats. If you let this inclusion get you sideways or allow it to ruin your day, then you're a miserable sack of sh8t anyways.

People get so worked up arguing Yogi Berra vs Johnny Bench or Ruth vs Aaron or Josh Gibson vs Ted Williams, and nobody ever saw many of these guys play with their own eyes. It's all stories and stats. If you let this inclusion get you sideways or allow it to ruin your day, then you're a miserable sack of sh8t anyways.
I enjoy comparing stats. It doesn't ruin my day. I just think it's dumb.

Reactions: CatsFanGG24
I'll be a sucker for the MLB discussion...just silly to add a different league in to the MLB record books. Taking the overall OPS & Slugging lead on a 39 game season or BA in a 74 game season (from a completely different league) just doesn't make sense. (and it doesnt fix the injustices of the past)

The 1943 NNL (in which Gibson just took over the batting average all time season lead) looks like this record wise (which is more similar to a Savannah Banana or Globetrotter type schedule):

Negro National League II Detailed Standings​

RkTmWLTiesW-L%GBGBsumRRARdiff
1Homestead Grays53141.791--7.83.93.9
2New York Cubans19141.57617.017.06.24.12.0
3Harrisburg Stars880.50019.522.04.94.60.2
4Newark Eagles26320.44822.531.05.55.9-0.4
5Baltimore Elite Giants18263.40923.535.04.46.4-1.9
6Philadelphia Stars21311.40424.540.06.56.50.0
7New York Black Yankees4242.14329.570.04.29.0-4.8
Average21211.5005.65.8

Here's the other Negro League that year... this is the one Satchel Paige played in. It's much more of an even league top to bottom and its stats more closely align to legacy MLB. The Birmingham Black Barons played Gibson's team in the World Series this year. I think KC dropped out due to World War II.

Negro American League Detailed Standings​

RkTmWLTiesW-L%GBGBsumRRARdiff
1Kansas City Monarchs44271.620--4.13.80.3
2Cleveland Buckeyes39251.6091.51.53.84.6-0.8
3Birmingham Black Barons4535-8.5623.55.54.44.00.4
4Chicago American Giants37331.5296.514.54.64.10.5
5Memphis Red Sox34514.40017.056.54.35.4-1.1
6Cincinnati Clowns31595.34422.584.03.84.9-1.2
Average38380.5004.24.5

I don't know. It really depends on the quality of the effort to promote this. If anything, I'd love for it to be an opportunity for the fans to show the Cal era players that any frustration they had towards Cal at the end does not equate to a lack appreciation for what those players accomplished while at UK.
Yes. Fill the place and show them that they are always welcome. That will only boost the UK recruiting brand. 500 show and it will be used against UK in recruiting battles.

SHORTS:

- Flip a coin: the 80s HBO Special Presentation or Sit, Ubu, sit, as the best TV bumper of all-time. CBS "Special" is up there.

- Bought a Peacock sub and instantly wanted to see if Days of Our Lives was on there It sure was and Marlena is too! She still looks good after 70.

Lock there are at least 3 posters that will have Stefano DiMera on their list of all-time villains.

- Dave Grohl might be the most humble celeb. Dude was in two of the greatest bands of all-time. His appearance on Hot Eats with Sean is epic.

- Love the back-of-the-neck shave after a haircut. Seriously, something that puts a smile your face a couple days of the month.

- Fudge Rounds are the best Little Debbie cake; Swiss Cake Rolls are a close second.

Andre Riddick is somewhat of a basketball legend in Belgium, with tons of titles, rebounds and blocks I think. I have no clue what that means when compared to the NBA, Eurobasket, FIBA, etc. I couldn't care less. I'm happy for the guy, though, and really enjoyed watching him block shots, dunk with authority and shoot some of the worst free throws ever seen.

Baseball randos for your summer entertainment:
  • For ages 8-14 how important is the bat really? We were hitting bombs in the 90's with a team shared Easton bat (32 inch, 28 oz). Like how much better is a $400 composite bat if you hit it square?
  • I'll give MLB credit, the Negro League thing has been fun to analyze. All in all, a lot of good players. And the Negro League WS were pretty interesting too. They'd basically play all over the place (like game 1 would be Chicago, game 2 Columbus, game 3 Birmingham, game 4 in Cleveland). It was kind of a barnstorming tour of some high-level talent for the championship.
  • My son has been watching the sandlot and loves the calling your shot scene. So in his game yesterday he called his shot - and I'm talking really pointing to the fences for a good five seconds. I'm not sure if he offended the pitching machine or what, but it quickly struck him out.
  • Then in my daughters softball game, she took the mound in a relief role for the struggling starting pitcher with the bases loaded. My daughter walked / hit the first 7 batters she faced, but then settled in to strike out the next three girls to get the win. As she walked off the field she smiled confidently and claimed "I'm so GOATed".
  • Braves are cooked offensively and have zero prospects.

• For ages 8-14 how important is the bat really? We were hitting bombs in the 90's with a team shared Easton bat (32 inch, 28 oz). Like how much better is a $400 composite bat if you hit it square?

They can definitely mask how good a kid really is due to the new technology. I raked in Babe Ruth/Connie Mack/HS from 77-82 with Easton's and a beat up Worth that sounded like two trash can lids clanging, but a good swing still would pop. 32/28 and a 33/30 depending on pitcher.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT