ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any time anyone tries to depict a scenario where Cal stays here next year under heavy AD oversight and a public announcement that changes are going to be made, etc, the idea sounds ever dumber. There's simply no way he comes back short of him truly doing a mea culpa about his mistakes at Madness next year and it will never happen.

That's just negotiating noise, imo. I do think that Barnhart threatening to replace Cal with Pitino as a placeholder to end his career in Camelot might be the only thread beside just paying Fay Boy what he's owed and wishing him well.

That *MIGHT* have some negotiating leverage.

Reactions: WayneDougan
Imagine the following scenario for the CEO of Boeing:
  • Two planes crash that kill hundreds due to software issues because you made a business decision to force fit a new generation of planes under the 737 framework.
  • Doors flying off planes midflight due to manufacturing issues
  • CEO states "we're doing everything right - I'm not changing"
  • Board calls him in and says, "we're now providing more oversight. You will hire a new manufacturing exec and a new safety exec and institute the new changes these guys will come up with.
  • CEO now has the option of saying:
    1. "Yep, what I said before was incorrect - I've seen the error of my ways and will start listening to others." or:
    2. Telling the board to F off meaning he's out.
What would you, someone who likely flies in Boeing airplanes, like the CEO to do?

It's a trick f'ing question. The answer is you shit-can the CEO because if he selected option 1 he should have seen these issues sooner and therefore is incompetent, and if he selects option 2 he's also incompetent (and stubborn too).

So fire Cal. It's the only choice.

Did anth say "scrambling and end up with Will Wade," like that's a bad thing?

Indeed he did.

Wade would *crush* it at Louisville. He's 42, won everywhere he's been, is completely unapologetic and unafraid to get down and dirty.......he's my "long shot" candidate for the UK job. That guy is great.
I wasn't saying it like it's a bad thing. More like, does it really matter to have the extra time, because they missed their top guys and may end up better. He'll kill it there.

Reactions: Col. Angus
I sure hope he has some data besides I offer 100K or 1M.

Like maybe have some offers and the payout percentages compared to the offers.

UK has reported too many times players got extremely frustrated with offers and payouts being way short and no one explained it to them.

I know Brady means well.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
I just want to know, and if there are any media who dare to ask Mitch, are there criteria by which Cal's performance is judged?

If not, why not?

If so, do those criteria include winning basketball games?
If not, for what is he compensated?

Other than his former players' NBA success, there is no metric by which Cal has succeeded since 2017.

If the answer to both questions is Yes, then the next necessary step is glaringly apparent.

If the answer to either question is No, then Mitch too needs to be shown the door.

Other than his former players' NBA success, there is no metric by which Cal has succeeded since 2017.
I disagree:

1) The 2017-18 team was two points away from the FF and lost to the eventual winner.
2) The 2018-19 team was also a few points away from the FF
3) The 2019-20 team was coming around and had Maxey and Quickley. I really liked where that team was heading.

Since then though... just awful. And btw, that's when Cal, according to Jones, really started changing.

I sure hope he has some data besides I offer 100K or 1M.

Like maybe have some offers and the payout percentages compared to the offers.

UK has reported too many times players got extremely frustrated with offers and payouts being way short and no one explained it to them.

I know Brady means well.
Could you link those reports? Sounds interesting.

I'm barely into KSR today but the bit about assistant coaches being spotted out at bars in Lexington this weekend but no one took the time to head down to Rupp to watch Travis Perry win the Sweet Sixteen is particularly galling.

Even if you're resigning on Monday, you owe it to the kid to have *SOMEONE* on the staff there since they don't have anything else better to do at the moment -- although they probably differ, which is part of the problem.

I'm barely into KSR today but the bit about assistant coaches being spotted out at bars in Lexington this weekend but no one took the time to head down to Rupp to watch Travis Perry win the Sweet Sixteen is particularly gauling.

Even if you're resigning on Monday, you owe it to the kid to have *SOMEONE* on the staff there since they don't have anything else better to do at the moment -- although they probably differ, which is part of the problem.
100 percent that's Brusier. He knows all about which Lexington strip club has the best buffet.

100 percent that's Brusier. He knows all about which Lexington strip club has the best buffet.
How many strip clubs Lexington got? I would’ve guessed 1 and they had to wear pasties on their nipples and couldn’t take their thongs off. Just seems like that sorta town.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Matt’s analogy today about the couple getting divorced and the wife being afraid of the husband going back to his old ways of getting back in shape, getting hair plugs, being romantic again while somewhat accurate works both ways.

If the program is the wife then maybe it’s time that we get a new hair cut, hire a trainer, change our diet and get a boob job. We can be just as attractive going forward and find someone new to re-light our fire just as easy. Kick the bum out and move the eff on, get on with the program.

The problem for Cal is that he can be rejuvenated and say all of the right things again but when it comes down to it he will still be that same old awful bench coach that he has always been. Hair plugs and chocolates be damned.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Matt’s analogy today about the couple getting divorced and the wife being afraid of the husband going back to his old ways of getting back in shape, getting hair plugs, being romantic again while somewhat accurate works both ways.

If the program is the wife then maybe it’s time that we get a new hair cut, hire a trainer, change our diet and get a boob job. We can be just as attractive going forward and find someone new to re-light our fire just as easy. Kick the bum out and move the eff on, get on with the program.

The problem for Cal is that he can be rejuvenated and say all of the right things again but when it comes down to it he will still be that same old awful bench coach that he has always been. Hair plugs and chocolates be damned.
Kentucky is already a smokeshow, bubbers. There is no need for new sweater bell-beefers. (Plus we're on a budget.)

I disagree:

1) The 2017-18 team was two points away from the FF and lost to the eventual winner.
2) The 2018-19 team was also a few points away from the FF
3) The 2019-20 team was coming around and had Maxey and Quickley. I really liked where that team was heading.

Since then though... just awful. And btw, that's when Cal, according to Jones, really started changing.
We have to stop with the revisionist history on the 19-20 team. Our starting PG had just quit the team and it took us a buzzer beater to beat an average / below average Florida team without him. We were going out in R32 or S16 at best.

I'm barely into KSR today but the bit about assistant coaches being spotted out at bars in Lexington this weekend but no one took the time to head down to Rupp to watch Travis Perry win the Sweet Sixteen is particularly galling.

Haven't seen him?

We have to stop with the revisionist history on the 19-20 team. Our starting PG had just quit the team and it took us a buzzer beater to beat an average / below average Florida team without him. We were going out in R32 or S16 at best.

That team was barely top 30 in kenpom. They almost certainly would’ve been underdogs in the second round game.

Prediction for Cal's call in show tonight:

He'll do the equivalent of the idiotic "haven't seen him" response to injury questions. Just play dumb and act as if all of the chatter about his job status is just "clutter" from those with agendas.

A simple metric to illustrate the decline of the program since 2015 is the lack of a single #1 seed since that season.

The tournament began seeding teams in 1978-79 and there have been 45 seasons since then (including the 2020 season*). UK has managed to be a #1 seed 12 times or once every 3.75 seasons.

Before 2015, the longest period UK had gone between #1 seeds was 6 seasons (1986 to 1993) which included a 2 season post-season ban.

UK is currently at 8 seasons since the last #1 seed.

*UK was not going to be a 1 seed in 2020. UK was projected between a 2 or 3 seed.
Here was my post from back in November about our #1 seed drought.

They almost certainly would’ve been underdogs in the second round game.

I'm fine with the overall sentiment, but ^^^ bullshit.

Team was a top 3-5 betting favorite by tourney time, won 7 of 8 to close SEC regular season, and ranked 8th in the Final AP poll featuring SEC POY, a 1st Team Big, and Tyrese Maxey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT