ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, making a bad hire would still be better than this purgatory we've been stuck in with Cal. This program will eventually be where it's supposed to be again, whether it's under the next coach or the one after that.

But first thing is first; rip off the bandaid and end this era. No one can deny the time has come, not even Mitch.

- What’s the point of going into details about the game, rotations, strategy, etc? We’ve been over that a million times.

- Not only has Cal lost whatever it was that made him a great coach, but he’s so priority-deficient, petty, spiteful and obstinate that he squanders his only remaining strength- player recruitment.

- Happens every time a once great coach slips, but it was never Joel Justis’s fault nor Oscar Tshiebwe nor the strength coach. It was Cal. All Cal.

- Lol at UK playing poor. F you and your SEC riches that flow like hooch at a late 90s college party on Pennsylvania. Pay it all in pennies.

- Cal is Denny Crum in many ways but there’s a lot of Jim Valvano too. Reaches the mountain top and loses focus on what’s important and what his job is. Valvano wanted to be a celebrity. Cal wants to be Mother Teresa for athletic kids from the hood.

- The audacity of that sonofabitch to schedule a weekend at the NBA All-Star game while we were struggling and dropping a new podcast the week leading into the NCAA Tournament. What a POS.

- Took a half day to watch games. Keeping the half day and taking my wife and baby to lunch. Among other things, Cal has for the fourth year in a row ruined my favorite weekend of the year. I hate his guts.

Last edited:
- Took a half day to watch games. Keeping the half day and taking my wife and baby to lunch. Among other things, Cal has for the fourth year in a row ruined my favorite weekend of the year. I hate his guts.
I have a lot of anger at JVC. But the armed robbery of my joy during March Madness might be the most unforgiveable. I used to schedule semesters around the tournament so I didn't really do any work for two weeks in March. I used to avoid scheduling work commitments for the Thursday-Friday and following Monday during the first four rounds so I could fully enjoy my favorite sporting event guilt free. That's gone. I don't know if I'll ever get it back, no matter who has the task of picking up the pieces when Cal's fat ass finally trots out of Lexington.

I feel somewhat vindicated that the national media has joined in to roast Cal and affirm that yes, in fact, UK fans have legitimate beefs and this situation is untenable. But it makes me sick to my stomach that my only "joy" for the rest of March will be schadenfreude listening to talking heads rip my team to shreds as they criticize the man in charge.

Y'all...no one is hiring Cal out from under us right now. I know the "no buyout, portable recruiting class, etc., etc." thing we tried to sell ourselves about Texas last year, but any program serious about contending for league and national titles has MUCH better options. It's fire him or keep him at this point. No one is solving our problem for us.

Great to come into the office today with a bunch of NC State grads. FML

Get your effing hands off of OUR program. Take your La Familia BS to a program that is just happy to make the tourney.

Since the clueless dolt has ruined yet another March went ahead and ordered a PS5 for pickup today (was going to get one in summer for College Football but Marcus). Grabbed The Show & EA PGA Tour to kill the time the next few weeks. Wife is going to be thrilled I'm sure. Eff it.

Since the clueless dolt has ruined yet another March went ahead and ordered a PS5 for pickup today (was going to get one in summer for College Football but Marcus). Grabbed The Show & EA PGA Tour to kill the time the next few weeks. Wife is going to be thrilled I'm sure. Eff it.
I switched over to Dateline reruns before the buzzer sounded last night and I think I'm going to spend some quality time with my husband's PS5 and WWE 2k24 this weekend, because, as you say, eff it.

Of course Dickie V is the last line of defense for Cal this morning. When that happens you know it’s over. Just a matter of time.

Give me a hungry son of a gun who will do whatever it takes to win a title. Like Pitino in the “A Man Possessed” days. Or Cal when he got here. Cal lost that fire a decade ago.

- It's $33 million, but there's no money due up front. It can be spread out over the life of the contract. And there's an offset. If Cal gets another job, that comes off the total of the buyout. That's the glimmer of hope I'm holding onto.

- I used to ignore the rest of the tournament whenever Kentucky lost. But gang, we might be literally seeing one of the last pure NCAA tournaments. There's no guarantee this is gonna look the same even 2-3 years from now. Seems like Sankey and his bunch are hellbent on ruining it. So I'm gonna watch the rest, pull against UNC/Duke/Kansas, and enjoy this thing while I've got it. But if you choose to move on, I GET IT.

Two additions to my rant this morning:
  • Why did we have such a hard time with their 1-3-1? If there was ever a time for Wagner to do his 1:1 thing that was it. Dust the defender at the top, get to the paint, and make it happen. We looked like we had never seen one of those before - EVEN AFTER WE BROKE IT DOWN SEVERAL TIMES.
  • The incoming class is TRASH. There, I said it. There's a huge difference from having the #1 class like Duke has where you have the consensus #1 player and then another top 5, compared to ours where you have a 6'9 center (8th), a couple flawed 20's, a few 40's, and a 72nd.

Time to fan the flames.

We do not in fact have a great group coming in. We have:

An undersized athletic 5 who will likely be shoved into the 4 position.
A point guard whos primarily played off the ball and has poor shot selection.
A traditional back to the basket big with no game outside of 10 feet.
The successor to the Khalil Whitney, Chris Livingston, Justin Edwards line.
A drive first wing whose reluctant to take open shots.

And a kid from Lyon County, who based on what we saw from Reed, might have the most potential.

Mix in the fact that every single player from last years team except Adou tried to GTFO away from Cal I wouldn't be surprised if we see something similar and we're scouring the portal again in June.

- I used to ignore the rest of the tournament whenever Kentucky lost. But gang, we might be literally seeing one of the last pure NCAA tournaments.
Silver lining ( 💀 ) the SEC's performance yesterday should put a cork in Sankey's pie hole for a few years/ever on expansion.

When your premise is you need to expand to get more mediocre P5 schools in and the mid-majors / auto-qualifiers are the ones to suffer, then your league immediately commits seppuku on opening day, including your marquee program, it's best to STFU and run from that already unpopular take.

Last edited:
Also I am not forgetting about these $2.4M/year wastes of space on our bench:

Orlando Antigua (associate coach): $900,000 for July 1, 2023, through June 30, 2024.
Chin Coleman (assistant coach): $600,000 for July 1, 2023, through June 30, 2024.
Chuck Martin (assistant coach): $350,000 for July 1, 2023, through June 30, 2024.
Bruiser Flint (off-court special assistant to the head coach): $325,000 for July 1, 2023, through June 30, 2024.
John Welch (assistant coach): $250,000 for May 30, 2023, through June 30, 2024.

A tradition unlike any other….cheering against other teams in the tournament because UK is bounced in the 9th game of the tournament.

Ugo can head on back to where he is from. Wackass hands, slow reaction time.

The first five minutes was like when the characters in a horror movie realize this is no ordinary fun camping trip. You could tell pretty quickly that a nightmare was unfolding. Long jumpers by the players that should not be shooting them, idiot fouls, offensive rebound after offensive rebound. By the end of the first 10 minutes Gohlke has dropped 4 bombs and the killer has revealed themselves.

- Not only has Cal lost whatever it was that made him a great coach, but he’s so priority-deficient, petty, spiteful and obstinate that he squanders his only strength- recruitment.
Rack. Great summation of the problem. The captain of the ship has been operating without a map for at least half a decade, but his ego keeps him from recognizing that that is the problem, not the talented crew, not the ship he helms, and definitely not the big blue sea.

I had hoped Antigua was a guy Cal listened to and that his return would signal some checks and balances coming back to the bench. But as Matt said on the post game last night...none of the guys Cal really listened to, who were willing to check him, are around anymore. All of them, gone. And there was a strong implication that Cal pushed them away. On so many levels, it's such a shame.

Wonder what John Robic is doing this morning.

I don’t follow things like I used to, but I have absolutely no idea who Chuck Martin is.
I’ve been calling him “KT Turner” all season. Turns out that dude took a head job at some Texas school and lost in the WAC Finals.

I miss Rod Strickland, KP, and Robic looking like they want to murder Terrence Jones on the sidelines.

- It's $33 million, but there's no money due up front. It can be spread out over the life of the contract. And there's an offset. If Cal gets another job, that comes off the total of the buyout. That's the glimmer of hope I'm holding onto.
I went to double-check this, and yes. The buyout is paid monthly until 2029, and Cal's required to mitigate the liquidated damages by making efforts to obtain other employment, at which time we'll get to credit all guaranteed pay from the new job against the buyout. The contract identifies other college or pro coaching jobs as examples, but says "any employment", so a fat TV deal from CBS or ESPN should also apply.

In other words, the money should NOT be prohibitive to moving on...

Last edited:
Cal has stolen our joy.
frustrated the office GIF

Reactions: HymanKaplan
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT