ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair he played on some pretty shitty teams. Hard to win games as a pitcher when your offense only scores 2-3 runs.

11-year old Wayne Dougan was unknowingly an early sabermetrics guy, although I had a few misses.
  1. I was always a huge OBP guy. I never understood why people didn't care about it (back in the early 90's).
  2. I thought W's were overrated from a pitching perspective, at least compared to ERA.
  3. I knew RBIs were always a function of what the guys in front of you did. Relatively worthless stat.
  4. My big miss was slugging percentage (didn't care), but to be fair I thought HRs were very important (but so did everybody else)
  5. I also think SBs are important - and I'll die on that hill despite what the analytics say.

That's a little harsh. What year should Nolan Ryan have won the Cy Young?
  • The year he finished second Jim Palmer had a better year from an ERA and W-L record perspective. Ryan had twice as many K's, but Palmer had more shutouts.
  • The first time he finished third he lost to Catfish Hunter and Ferguson Jenkins
  • The second time he finished third he finished behind Sparky Lyle (who?) and Jim Palmer. Palmer and Ryan had very similar numbers that year although Ryan had many more Ks. Ryan had the second highest WAR (which hadn't been invented), but the guy who had the highest (Frank Tanana) finished 10th. Also, they cared about W-Ls back then and Ryan was 19-16 that year.
  • In 81 - a strike shortened season - he finished 4th but it may have been his most dominant year. He had a 1.69 ERA that year, but he finished behind Fernando Valenzuela, Tom Seaver and Stever Carlton. Fernando V had 8 shutouts that year while Ryan had 3.
So it's not like he was losing to scrubs. And there were valid arguments why he didn't win each time.

I don't agree that he never had a really good year. The most no hitters in history was 4 by Sandy Koufax, and Ryan had 3 in one year. The year Palmer beat him.

And I don't think wins should be a major component since your teams ability has more to do with that than the pitcher.

Reactions: WayneDougan
I don't agree that he never had a really good year. The most no hitters in history was 4 by Sandy Koufax, and Ryan had 3 in one year. The year Palmer beat him.

And I don't think wins should be a major component since your teams ability has more to do with that than the pitcher.
I'm not saying he didn't have any great years. And I 100% agree with you on wins. I'm just commenting that it didn't seem like he got completely screwed over by not ever winning the Cy Young.

The Angels were next to last in the AL in runs in 73, when Ryan finished 2nd in CY voting. His splits are stupid from that year. He *should* have won and did get 9 of the 23 first place votes, but as said above, Palmer had worthy stats....just hard to put his numbers over Ryan's.

Reactions: UKRob 73
Watched King of Collectibles on Netflix a few weeks ago - 3.5/5.

Renewed my interest in looking for ball cards. Hit up 2 estate sales last week but no cards. Got on FB marketplace and a guy is selling his dads boxes of cards that have been sitting in the garage since the dad bought them at a police/drug auction in the early 90's. About 125K cards for $100.

I'm sure they are all commons from the 80's/90's. The first box of 500+ was. But I enjoy the search and going through the boxes. Will provide weeks of entertainment.

I'll be looking for Nolan Ryan's and pulling those but I bet they've already been pulled out.

-Sports writers are absolutely not responsible.

-I love the chaos, not because it's good for the sport, but because the NCAA had decades to fix this. When was the Sonny Vacarro meeting with University Presidents, 2001? Instead they stuffed every orifice full of shoe company money on the back of free labor. Coaches moved to take big bags of cash after recruiting kids and making promises. Everyone pointed fingers and admonished, mostly poor black families, that were digging in back allies for leftover scraps. Emmert dug in until politicians got involved and without reason just opened the flood gates. We have countless models around the world of how this SHOULD work. How they can attract the best young talent and be a junior league for the NBA/NFL. They just refuse to do it, and in true capitalistic nature, the product is finding new avenues. G-League, prep leagues, overseas, waiting until the very last days of transfer market to select the team offering the most cash. Good for the kids. If the old rich bastards can't figure out how to control the system and won't acknowledge where we're at. F*ck em.
I always think back to this article. The Shame of College Sports

Reactions: 80 Proof
Creighton was a bucket from the Final 4, and looked to return their entire team, or close.

Now, they're essentially losing everyone. It's beyond ridiculous at this point. If you can't get a group of mostly non-NBA guys to run-it-back as the best team in school history looking to win a title, what are we even doing?
The sport is completely broken.

Bi-vocational referees sure don’t help the situation.

Reactions: Col. Angus
Over/ Under on number of Tammys in the state of Bama?

50,000? 1,000,000?
At least, but I don’t think there’s a Tammy under the age of 30.

Edit: looked it up. Less than 100 Americans born in 2021 were named Tammy, but it was a top 10 girls name in the 60’s and 70’s.

-Sports writers are absolutely not responsible.

-I love the chaos, not because it's good for the sport, but because the NCAA had decades to fix this. When was the Sonny Vacarro meeting with University Presidents, 2001? Instead they stuffed every orifice full of shoe company money on the back of free labor. Coaches moved to take big bags of cash after recruiting kids and making promises. Everyone pointed fingers and admonished, mostly poor black families, that were digging in back allies for leftover scraps. Emmert dug in until politicians got involved and without reason just opened the flood gates. We have countless models around the world of how this SHOULD work. How they can attract the best young talent and be a junior league for the NBA/NFL. They just refuse to do it, and in true capitalistic nature, the product is finding new avenues. G-League, prep leagues, overseas, waiting until the very last days of transfer market to select the team offering the most cash. Good for the kids. If the old rich bastards can't figure out how to control the system and won't acknowledge where we're at. F*ck em.

Put this on a plaque in downtown Indy...

Going to Churchill this Saturday for my dad's birthday, he has never been. Looking forward to it!

My significant other and her family were on the backside for Oaks and Derby day. That is the way to do it, avoid the crowd and the drama. I would've went, but was on call over the weekend.

Another reason I stayed back is because, at 37yo, I need a Total Hip Replacement. For the last 10 years, I've had reoccurring pains inside my groin, lower back, waistline, and the pain usually radiates behind my knee and calf. I had to walk (be rolled) down to the ER 3 weeks ago, when, right after I had gotten to work, I couldn't put any weight AT ALL on my left l.

Doc says IV Pain meds, x-ray, and CT scan. I say no to everything except the CT scan (I know the costs and necessity.) Comes back an hour later to say, I have Avascular Necrosis of the Femoral Head - bone death right at my hip joint. Scheduled for cortisone injections next Friday, but that's a place holder, still going to need a total hip.

I explain that at 8 months old, I had a septic hip that needed to be operated on. Doc knowingly says that explains it, and if you x-rayed my hip from 1 year old to now, once a year, you could watch the degeneration in real time.

It's just messing with my mentals more than anything right now. I work in surgery, so I see it first hand. Hip cases can get medieval. And I'm very young to have it done. I'm more nervous about the anesthesia than the procedure, but the pain is UNBEARABLE. Ready for relief. It hurts to stand, lift, sit still, anything. And that's what the job is. I feel useless at work, useless at home, really doing a taxing job on my depression.

Thanks for letting me vent about it. Nobody cares because it's not them in pain. I get it, not out for fake sympathy or thoughts and prayers, nobody needs to lift my name 😂.

The Derby is always a must rewatch at least 10 times. Two Phil's might need a jockey change moving forward. Made his move too soon. Disarm ran a big race. One day, Japan will win one, but not anytime soon.

Again, thanks for the allowance to vent. Have been struggling with this information

My old mother in law got her hip replaced last year. They did the “anterior technique” and she went in for surgery at 8AM and was home at 2PM. Quit being a pussy.

Seriously though the advances in joint replacements the last 10 years has been unreal. The big concern with getting it done young is the fact you have to get it replaced in 20 years but at the pace things are advancing in 20 years that’ll be a piece of cake. I mean remember when 15 years ago a torn ACL for an athlete was a death sentence? That surgery is routine now.

Older neighbor had hiccups for years when I was growing up. I was like 14 and felt so bad for the guy. He was in his 70’s and couldn’t sleep or eat. Deteriorated to nothing. So awful to watch.

@paintrain_cat, I have two friends in their late 20s/early 30s who had total hip replacements in the last year (both some kind of congenital issue with hip structure that caused labrum tears). They were both super nervous and both have done amazingly well. Both also said they wish they had done it years ago. They were both back in the gym within 6-8 weeks. My uncle has had bilateral hip replacements and said the same. It's terrifying, no doubt, but it will be a complete gamechanger. AVN is a rough go, sorry you've had to deal with that.

Yeah, but they'll probably DIE someday, pretzel.
I had dinner with both sets of grandparents last night and they were talking about how scary the beetus is.

Grandma: I know a lady who had Type 1, and she made all these lovely desserts and they were so delicious and she never ate any of it! Never cheated on her diet, checked her insulin, all that. And then she got cancer and died about 5 years ago. How scary is that?

Me: ...

This was about 5 minutes after my 91 year old grandpa told a story about when he was young and watched a "bunch of blacks" play basketball and "the one team were the blacks, you know, and the other team were (insert racial slurs). You could just tell. And the other blacks called them that, too. Anyway, they could just jump over the rim, it was something else." Well, that story is something else, gramps.

In all seriousness, I bartended with a guy in his 50/60s who ended up getting bilateral hip replacements and was like I can’t believe I didn’t do this earlier, I had no idea how much less pain I’d be in.

Reactions: jayroon
I don’t know the age you have to hit to lose your filter, but I am looking forward to it. My MIL has started saying some wild shit in the past couple of years.

-I've never had much of a filter...but I've started letting loose some of the shit* that rattles around up there. It's fun.

*nothing cruel...I've always thought that folks the prided themselves on "calling in like it is" were just making excuses for being subhuman, miserable bastards.

-related: playing doubles with my buds last night...I teed up an opponent (Jay)with a weak backhand which he subsequently destroyed and my partner (prominent local architect) says: "I could hear Jay's erection." There is a lot to unpack there.

-I've never had much of a filter...but I've started letting loose some of the shit* that rattles around up there. It's fun.

*nothing cruel...I've always thought that folks the prided themselves on "calling in like it is" were just making excuses for being subhuman, miserable bastards.

-related: playing doubles with my buds last night...I teed up an opponent (Jay)with a weak backhand which he subsequently destroyed and my partner (prominent local architect) says: "I could hear Jay's erection." There is a lot to unpack there.
Careful, if you talk about any physical activity around here it gets people worked up.

You know what's crap? We spend a ton of money (significantly more than other countries) on our university system so that a great majority of us will get smarter. Yet even a moderately simple thing like figuring out a good system for college sports that benefits the player, the school and the fans is too much for them. And though they all espouse values like being "climate conscious", they do things like put UCLA and USC in the Big Ten where the travel will be a huge cost & impact to the environment. And let's not even start talking about the more pressing issue of how they've got the US population in trillions of dollars of debt - much of which was a complete waste.

So how about this... piss on the universities.

- My daughter has had pinkeye all week so guess what- I woke up all goo-eyed this morning. I look like shit. No adult should have F’ing pinkeye.

- Hip/knee/shoulder replacements are all simple procedures these days with robotics. Minimal incisions, blood loss or muscle tissue damage. Technology baby.

- Look I like the idea of Keshad Johnson- tough, physical, experienced SOB who will certainly make a huge difference on D and in transition offensively. BUT I’m afraid halfcourt offense will once again be a grind. Maybe Cal will play him with Bradshaw a bit. Could work.

- Gridiron Cats being slept on a bit or is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT