ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never enjoyed a show so much that had so many incredibly unlikable characters. Wild to think that Tom is one of the few people I can sympathize with in this whole ordeal and he's just a projection bully.
Matthew Macfadyen is the star of that show. He plays the role of Tom to absolute perfection. His acting is what separates that show IMO.

Geese and company - moving into my suburban home this weekend. Everyone in the neighborhood including my house has a beautiful lawn.

Can I get the basics on maintenance? Like TruGreen? How often? Etc?

I’ve been using TruGreen for the last 3 years and i have the best looking lawn on the block. Runs me about 600.00 a year plus another 300.00 each fall to aerate and overseed. They have been pretty good about coming out between services to fix some issues such as some stray weeds and thin spots.

My back yard

r52LjVg.jpg

Just dropped Trugreen when we realized we paid for aeration and seeding in the fall that never got done. Pretty pissed because the lawn needed it and I can’t go back in time now.

Reactions: WayneDougan
Have a dude named Jose who does what Trugreen does for august. Little cheaper. That’s what happens when you pay cash and it isn’t taxed, but hey, the yard looks good.

Reactions: roguemocha
I do my own lawn. Go to a local place to pick up the fertilizer, lime, etc. Gave me a schedule to follow and saves a little money. Main reason I do it myself is because got tired of these companies doing half ass work or not even doing it and charging me anyway. Lawn looks better than it did when I was hiring it out.

I do my own lawn. Go to a local place to pick up the fertilizer, lime, etc. Gave me a schedule to follow and saves a little money. Main reason I do it myself is because got tired of these companies doing half ass work or not even doing it and charging me anyway. Lawn looks better than it did when I was hiring it out.
We can’t get a decent “handyman” to show up and do small repairs. Always excuses, no shows, etc. after you hire them.

As you wait, at home to let them in, for their texts/ list of excuses why they aren’t there yet for the appt.

- So four Wildcats are right there for All-NBA - SGA, Fox, Davis and Randle. Not even counting Booker and Adebayo. Pretty impressive.

- Whenever facing a challenge or difficult conversation, I always like to announce, “there’s a lot to unpack here.” Always adds the appropriate amount of gravity to the situation.

- Really hard for me to trust a guy who wears a plain, un-logoed baseball cap.

- What magazines did you subscribe to as a youngster? For me:

CatPaw
Sporting News
Basketball Times
Baseball America

Dad never got on board with SI. Guessing it was much more expensive.

Use the lawn service. They show up like clockwork, almost too often.
SI, Rolling Stone, and Eastern Basketball (Bible of Northeast basketball in early 80's)
Handyman- got a guy who paints, does drywall and anything else we ask. Simple guy, pay cash, he shows up, on time? Rarely, but worth it.

Reactions: wcc31
We use a lawn service but probably shouldn’t. Combination of a shady (trees) smug backyard and dogs doesn’t really give me much hope in ever having a nice backyard. Kinda gonna let it go a little wild, let the grass stay a little long so it looks “rustic” or “natural” like the rest of the neighborhood.

My idea was to let them get it up and running and in the shape it’s in now. I plan on taking it over after this years plan is done. Should pretty much be on cruise control at that point.

Baseball Digest
Cats Paws
Beckett’s
Mad Magazine

Doubt it counts as a “subscription” but when that Eastbay magazine showed up I’d find at least 5 pair of shoes to want, and then spend the next week or so making sure they weren’t already too popular before running to the mall or ordering the pair that made the Final Cut.

Nothing worse than actually ordering and waiting that week to get my shoes. Especially for Christmas not knowing just how many others would show back up to school with the same shoes!

Reactions: grantbob and wcc31
We use a lawn service but probably shouldn’t. Combination of a shady (trees) smug backyard and dogs doesn’t really give me much hope in ever having a nice backyard. Kinda gonna let it go a little wild, let the grass stay a little long so it looks “rustic” or “natural” like the rest of the neighborhood.

***MaxPowerr continues to rise up the GYERO Power Rankings due to living in a neighborhood with mature trees. ***

While we are on the lawn discussion, little tip for those not aware. De-thatch your lawn at least once a year. Especially those with grasses such as bermuda, zoysia that goes dormant during the winter. Most lawn guys never do it but offer core aeration which frankly you do not need to do every year (as a golf course superintendent once told me).

Have several neighbors who spend a fortune hiring out all of their lawn maintenance but their yards look terrible from all the thatch built up (plus invites fungus into your yard). If I was a reputable lawn contractor I would make some serious extra money by offering the service.

I use an electrical one I bought on Amazon and then suck up the pulled thatch with my lawn mower and bag it. Its amazing how much it helps your yard.

Last edited:
Cat's Pause
SI

I was thinking this week how much I miss reading about the Masters or some other golf major several days later when the SI appeared. I wasn't even a golf fan at the time, but SI's coverage of the majors was almost magical.

***MaxPowerr continues to rise up the GYERO Power Rankings due to living in a neighborhood with mature trees. ***
Lol @ small bathrooms and limited closet space.

-Apocalyptic cold snap in December decimated a few holly trees...and has done a number on some nice mature boxwoods. Looks like I'll be dropping coin on trees/shrubs...when I thought I was done. Oh well, at least I like shopping for this sort of thing. Lemonade.

-we don't treat the back yard, and do as little as possible for the front. We are all about helping pollinators/native fauna.

^neighbor got rid of 90% of her "lawn grass".

-trees/shrubs/flowers/"ground cover">> lawn for me. I prefer nature to overly manicured/golf course looking properties...don't begrudge others who are "lawn guys", to each his own as they say.

^my shit still looks good/like i did it on purpose.

Apocalyptic cold snap in December decimated a few holly trees
Yes I think all of my China hollies are toast. The burford hollies also look like shit. Not sure if they are dead or not. It was just like 3 days of really really cold air but it seems to have done a number on certain shrubs.

• Sad
Reactions: rudd1
Lol @ small bathrooms and limited closet space.

-my bathrooms are large...closet space is limited, but we manage.

^beats the hell out of living in a soulless, pre-planned physical embodiment of the color taupe "neighborhood" that looks like something straight out of an episode of black mirror... just move to "the villages" and get it over with. Imo. No offense meant.

I have mature trees and they can eat a dick.
One thing that I learned after buying this house is that if I ever do buy again I’m having every damn tree on the property, within reason, inspected. If there are any that need any attention, for whatever reason, it will be negotiated into the final price. I’ve had to remove two very mature elm’s and two other decent sized trees since 2016. That shit ain’t cheap.

Speaking of tree removal. What are some of the sketchiest home “professionals” you deal with? My list:

-Tree removal. Those dudes can’t be all legal.
-Roofers. Fairly certain they are all on drugs
-Asphalt/Pavement dudes. Maybe it’s just an industry thing but I don’t trust them

Fake spring followed by cold snap meant my magnolia bloomed early like an idiot and then lost it all before the weather was nice out.

Nobody has it worse than me. Except for the fact I have mature trees AND a walk in closet.

We had a 4-yo Plum tree die from blight in our front yard. The result after disease made the 20’ tree look like a Tim Burton / Beetlejuice sculpture. Although intriguing, I pushed that mofo down after rocking it back and forth.

Ripped the rootball out of the ground and chopped the whole thing up with a tiny handsaw in under an hour. It was my own fun CrossFit exercise.

One thing that I learned after buying this house is that if I ever do buy again I’m having every damn tree on the property, within reason, inspected. If there are any that need any attention, for whatever reason, it will be negotiated into the final price. I’ve had to remove two very mature elm’s and two other decent sized trees since 2016. That shit ain’t cheap.

Speaking of tree removal. What are some of the sketchiest home “professionals” you deal with? My list:

-Asphalt/Pavement dudes. Maybe it’s just an industry thing but I don’t trust them
Painters are all drunks or drug addicts

Rule number 1 for me when buying/building a home: No trees within striking distance of the house. They make a property look great and the shade they provide during the hot months is great but they are ticking time bombs just waiting for the right storm or wind to destroy your home. Also, root systems can play havoc on your yard and possibly the foundation of your home.

Last edited:
Wayne…

LOL at some generic subdivision saddled up next to a shopping center and 4 lane highway with terrible traffic.

Your family would be PERFECT in Norton Commons - hell, you'd be on the cover of the monthly magazine within 3 months.

C'mon Rich, have your wife transfer out to Norton Hospital out here. You and I can split a WeWork style office in the hood, your kids can go to Norton Commons Elementary for free, we can eat at Waldo's for lunch and Watch Hill for dinner. They Y in the neighborhood has the best talent in the city, and once the Publix opens up across the only form of transportation you'll need is a golf cart.

The only downside is that the local golf course is Glen Oaks and the people who live in there are degenerates, but you'll be halfway between the two Big Spring courses, so that's a win.

CatPaw
Sporting News
Basketball Times
Baseball America

Dad never got on board with SI. Guessing it was much more expensive.

I still miss the heyday of The Sporting News. From about 6th grade until well into my 20s, I looked forward to getting that in the mail every week like waiting for a great TV show.

Others on here have spoke about it fondly, but there was nothing like the anticipation of getting the Sporting News College Basketball Preseason Magazine each fall. I never threw them away. Old editions just became references in young Vern's library.

It was just like 3 days of really really cold air but it seems to have done a number on certain shrubs.
It was the rapid temperature change moreso than the actual temps themselves. The plants didn't have time to adjust. Gaf.

My laurels, azaleas, rhodos, ligustrums, aucubas, blue atlas cedar, etc -- all toast. Hydrangeas, viburnums, lilac, and the deciduous trees all seem to have made it

If I had the time I would have made another journey down to McMinnville, TN (nursery wholesale capital of the south) again and bulk buy for replenishment with a trailer. But I don't - so Glynn Young's it was.

Azaleas are more trouble than they're worth, tbh. Fickle little shits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT