ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
For everyone that says College Basketball is a “niche” sport, I wonder what in your mind a “mainstream” sport is. Outside of pro and college football, no sport gets (a) more average tv viewers a week during the regular season (b) higher ratings for its postseason games and (c) more attendance during its regular season

Now part of the positive (total viewers) and negative (average game rating) are because there are so many damn teams. But the best college regular season games outrate all but the top 3-5 NBA regular season games and every baseball, hockey, etc game

The sport isn’t covered by the mass media as much but that makes its viewership actually more impressive to me. And March Madness still outrages everything except the NFL and the College Football Playoff

If it is “niche” then that’s a heck of a niche. And only two sports certainly out-rate it and one (NBA) is in the vicinity

The second worst GYERO take in 2023 is CBB is a niche sport. The product is trash and we still line up to watch/complain and pray for change.

The first being you shouldn’t sign Daniel Jones to a two year deal and just run the Wildcat in the NFL. That’s an all timer from PTI.

-it isn't a niche sport in KY...as I said earlier. Also, there is nothing pejorative about being "niche" in the first place.

-madness is the best post season in sports...it dominates for a month, but football is "America's game" the other 11 months.

Shorts:

- Have decided to start referring to beer as “suds” - as in, “Anyone want to grab some suds and wings and watch this ballgame Saturday?”

- BBdK can barely contain his seething when I post my golf mocks. I can see the teeth gnashing from NKY.

- Was thinking about it - I’ve randomly been in the same room as Michael Jordan (bar in West Palm Beach), Barry Bonds (Rio Grande in Newport) and Roger Clemens (Starbucks downtown Cincinnati). Can anyone claim greater brushes with sports greatness?

- Always found it interesting that Rupp said Jerry West was the best player he ever coached against after playing the Mountaineers in the UKIT. High praise. In the same boat, Knight claimed pre-NBA that Jordan was best player he’d ever seen after coaching Team USA.

- Is Tshiebwe basically a college version of Andre Drummond? Great player. Great stats. No place in today’s game. OR could the right coach build a champion around him?

- Probably controversial, but hiking is so overrated. Just call it what it is - a walk in the woods. Have always found hikes boring and I’m now confident enough to open up and speak out about it. I will be shamed into silence no more by you bougie F’s.

- Speaking of bougie F’s, my 2-year-old doesn’t go to daycare. No she is in a Montessori program, and currently on spring break. I mean I guess it’s a good education- she’s 2 - but she gets inservice days, fall break, Christmas break, Spring break. I’d say with all this shit and the fact she was sick September-February, she’s probably been in “school” maybe 40% of Mon-Fri since Labor Day weekend.

- Zion is the best basketball player who ever lived who doesn’t play basketball. Second is Kyrie.

- Friday 5:

That River - Margo Cilker
Don’t Think Jesus - Morgan Wallen
The Lakes - Taylor Swift
I Guess I Just Feel Like - John Mayer
Away from the Mire - Billy Strings

- Probably controversial, but hiking is so overrated. Just call it what it is - a walk in the woods. Have always found hikes boring and I’m now confident enough to open up and speak out about it. I will be shamed into silence no more by you bougie F’s.

Rack to 10 billion. A hike to somewhere special/significant is obviously different, but overall? 😴

Even worse, is literally everyone (females especially) puts "hiking" as one of their primary interests these days on social media, dating apps, etc ----> and 95% of them are just straight lying.

-I really enjoy hiking... a couple years ago I was at the gorge every weekend for 4-6 miles for a morning workout. Does wonders for my mindset... so does tennis/playing guitar and I don't have to drive an hour each way to do these things. Fully intend on re-engaging as time allows.

^middle age is a bitch, still parenting a college student and a hs student, both looking after(parenting) an elderly parent... in the thick of our professional lives, and *every* aspect of life is 50% more expensive at best than it was a few short years ago. The pace at which work/life moves is oppressive. It's truly exhausting.

-im an optimist by nature, but thinking hard about rolling over to my man @SAECATFAN 's place and doing a little laundry. Whatevs.

Shorts:

- Have decided to start referring to beer as “suds” - as in, “Anyone want to grab some suds and wings and watch this ballgame Saturday?”

You haven't even been a DAD that long. Don't rush into Grandpa vernacular yet.

What's next?

Reading glasses, hanging on a lanyard, around the crisply starched collar of a white short sleeve shirt?

Reading the newspaper on your front porch while keep an observant eye on "those neighbor kids"?

Werthers in your pocket?

Inability to order at a fast food restaurant?

Lectures on escrow and crabgrass prevention?

Old? I am the All State elevator guy. Cmon in, the waters warm! Ashamed of myself.
Hiking Guys who mock golf guy go away for weekends, away from their family to climb a hill. (Actually sounds good, away from family I mean)
If Mags tv numbers are true, SEC deserves more money.
Any movies worth watching not in the Marvel Universe, not featuring Vampires or Zombies, not the 4th installment of of Mission Wick the Sadist Returns or anything else of that ilk?

Worked in The Trump Tower. Rode the elevator with Vern's favorite President a couple of times.

Had dinner with Stan Musial and other Cardinals when I was a kid. Next door neighbor was involved with Telethon of Stars in Paducah which always got Cardinals.

Same guy also brought Roger Harden and Paul Andrews by the house to shoot around with me for about 15 minutes. Got lucky I skipped out the usual Sunday family gathering.

- My Louisville based sister and her family are vacationing with Kyle Rudolph(NFL TE) and his family right now on 30A.

Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
Chad seems to have shed the grumpy, which is sort of a shame, because grumpy grandpas are a treasure.

Ever had a 10 year old girl steal a package off your front porch in broad daylight?
I guess at that age you don't know most doorbells have cameras in them.
She brought it back a few hours later with 95% of the stuff still in it after going through it and realizing it wasn't kid worthy.
I guess I should be thankful for that.

Now do I tell the parents, the cops, or do I set a trap with another package?

• Sad
Reactions: rudd1
- Was thinking about it - I’ve randomly been in the same room as Michael Jordan (bar in West Palm Beach), Barry Bonds (Rio Grande in Newport) and Roger Clemens (Starbucks downtown Cincinnati). Can anyone claim greater brushes with sports greatness?
Frank Thomas, Vlad Guerrero and Frank Robinson is my best 3 from the nephew's time in MLB. Should get to meet Aaron Judge in June.

I know a guy who was once in an elevator with Bob Tewksbury.

Spent a couple of hours in the Embassy Suites bar in Pittsburgh with Fernando Valenzuela, Ricky Henderson, Ken Caminiti and some skinny Hispanic rookie pitcher August 1996 in Pittsburgh after a Pirates-Padres game. Ricky held court yelling at the TV while Baseball tonight and Sportscenter was on.

You haven't even been a DAD that long. Don't rush into Grandpa vernacular yet.

What's next?

Reading glasses, hanging on a lanyard, around the crisply starched collar of a white short sleeve shirt?

Reading the newspaper on your front porch while keep an observant eye on "those neighbor kids"?

Werthers in your pocket?

Inability to order at a fast food restaurant?

Lectures on escrow and crabgrass prevention?
To be fair, Chad is easily old enough to be a grandfather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT