ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the SC game I envisioned myself taking my signed white basketball (you know… the kind that doesn’t mess up his “pen”) to his house and punting it over his stupid (yet now necessary) wrought iron fence. The fact my uncle stayed after a game and waited two hours only to get chastised for throwing it badly (coming off surgery for thoracic cancer) so he could give it as a gift to me kept me from following through.

Instead I think I may leave my copy of “Bounce Back: Overcoming Setbacks to Succeed in Business and in Life” by John Calipari on top of the keypad to his gated driveway with a note saying “sir, I’m not sure if this book will help or not since nobody has ever actually read it.. but if there’s anyone who could use it, I think it’s you.”

Link? False

The entire nation is in agreement (in extreme mocking fashion) sans Vern.
I can’t link it but go watch the first 2 minutes of PTI today.

Wilbon was flat out mocking BBN for booing and having signs for Cal to go to Texas.

• Haha
Reactions: B.B.d.K.

Wilbon was flat out mocking BBN for booing and having signs for Cal to go to Texas.

He hoped that cal would leave and proclaimed that he would have a stacked team taking next years recruits and using the transfer portal, would be in the final four immediately.

Sat 20 feet away from him at the 1998 Maryland game. He had a look of disgust the entire game as he looked around Rupp.

He hates us. Still has it out that we’re racists for running out Tubby and loves when we fail.

He loves Cal too, and Cal used to be on their show quite often. Not anymore, and that’s not even a correlation for them to how much Cal doesn’t mean anymore.

I don’t care. I’m not as down as some, and for reasons Tony Kornhieser pointed out I think it could get better. I legit think it’s just this team and Cal losing them in a way he has only lost a select few individuals in the past(Hagans/Dragon). This year though somehow it’s the collective bunch.

That said, it won’t hurt my feelings if he leaves and spares us from our own financial fiasco we allowed. There are a lot of better all around basketball teachers of the game in this world.

I’ll say this only because it isn’t an idea I’ve seen mentioned. He stays 1 more year and has the horses he needs to go out on top next year, and Chris Beard rehabs his image while commentating somewhere.

Cal leaves after next season and Beard is hired. Maybe not idea today, but absolutely a perfect situation to me.

I don’t want Cal to go out after this year where he is loathed and hated, but I certainly get it that he is.

Reactions: Col. Angus
Lol. Wilbon? Ok.

Thanks krazy

Was talking about national basketball media, coaches, analysts, NBA guys, players, peers.

Not woke/hot take/shockjock ratings-seeking, overly biased ESPN DEBATE!!! SHOW entertainers

Cal has been a lifelong REGULAR friend of PTI(pti) while you were Slangin this & that.

Wilbon. Lmao.

You’d get a more honest answer asking @bradyjames if he ever slept with a Pokémon.

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
96 Kentucky man

They basically played like Bellarmine, only with Epps, Pope, and a cast of All Americans & Draft picks.

Even if you just watch YouTube highlights it Stands out as unique and bizarre…even then.

Pure beauty.

No other team in this era was more guaranteed to win a title with that talent + how they actually played (and coach).

Last edited:
“Just sing the anthem like normal people, you c**ts.”

[roll] Bravo UCL.

Had somehow forgotten about that. BBN was amped and did not have time for that nonsense.

Some big beautiful vintage GYERO in that link, shewweeee, tear to my eye.

Liggins pulled that stunt and redeemed himself. Let’s hope Cason does instead of going the mid season transfer route we’ve seen in the past.

I don’t think we make the tourney, but I’m damn hopeful we do somehow. It’s to long of a winter to just have nothing! Give me false hope at the least.
Liggy had some dog n him. Different time, different leader. That matters.

We aren't gonna make the tourney. Y would we? We have 0 quality wins now, and where do u see us getting any? Cal makes his $ regardless if u have a long winter or not. Ur false hope is believing that there is any more hope. 🥰

Reactions: paintrain_cat
The majority of the current Cal supporters I have encountered are all 19-24 ish. These are the people who have very little memory of anything pre-Cal. Pretty much the same crew that believe that LBJ is “goat.” Very very little knowledge of reality. They see what ESPN force feeds them.

What’s katman2000 and DD into these days? Katman2000 is much like the Grinch or Clark Griswold. The older I get, the more I see they weren’t all that off.

EDIT: I am idiot. After posting I found that that shitshow is still playing and this is the first thing I find from him: “I think if anyone is dumb enough to go to Rupp for the rest of Kneelipari's monument toppling tour, they should be required to wear a paper bag over their heads.” My bad folks. He’s worse even.

I would totally take Pitino back and support the opening of a Lexington Porcinis if we can get a 5 year run it back of the mid 90s (and I know this is a pipe dream).

“Ghost in This House” by Shenandoah hits different when you’re 43 instead if 13.

Preordered the Callaway Paradym X Driver. I’m not a big hype guy, I understand they are gonna claim they have the best thing ever yearly. Something about this one seems different though and the simulator backed it up.

Last edited:
- You could argue every single decision Cal has made this season has been wrong.

- I’m with Anth. It’s not as simple as lineups - especially at this point in the season when he’s lost the team and filed down every player’s confidence- but his lineups have been so bad, they pretty much hurt each player’s specific game:

* Tshiebwe is an elite garbage man - he doesn’t need plays, he needs space.

* Wheeler needs open lanes and tempo

* Wallace is the only guy so good he can be effective playing with anyone in any style, although to be his best, he needs the ball.

* Fredrick and Reeves need to play with other shooters so teams can’t key on them.

* Livingston can’t guard or drive wings. He needs to be at the PF.

* Toppin is an energy guy - he needs low usage.

* Collins is a rim-runner/shotblocker - why TF is he throwing entry passes and guarding the perimeter?

* Thiero is like Wallace - can be effective in any system but is green and needs minutes.

* Ware is a fine physical backup 5 who can give spot minutes in a grinder as ling as he has no place in your offense besides screening.

- Anyone who works with younger Millennials and Gen Z knows yelling and dogcussing doesn’t work anymore.

- That Georgia game is what I imagined all year 2014/2015. Saw it clearly in my head, Monday night National Championship Game, Booker and Aaron splashing 3s, our defense suffocating, Nantz cheesing it up with “the Wildcats are moving like a tremendous machine!” I’ll never get over it.
This is a man that understands basketball.

I would even give Thiero some burn at the 4, Nova won a couple titles with 3 guards, a burly glass eater like Oscar, and versatile swing man at the PF spot.

The thing is, nobody posts to score anymore and if they do, they certainly aren’t doing so with their 4 man because 99% of college coaches understand spacing (Cal is a 1%er). That’s why running Ware and Collins at the 4 is not only an offense killer but a defense killer (especially if you refuse to zone). They aren’t equipped to guard college 4’s.

Which brings me to my next point…I’m way over hearing about “dogs” and “heart”.

You know who is a dog and who has heart? Lance Ware. You know who Mizzou (and most other teams) hunted on offense over and over? Lance Ware. No amount of effort can magically give that kid the tools to guard a college 4…he struggles enough at the 5. Great kid, smart player, but a limited athlete especially as it relates to guarding closeouts and recovering.

I don’t think any of these kids are malcontents, I think they are demoralized by being put in positions to fail and then screamed at by their jackass coach.

Which brings me to my next point…I’m way over hearing about “dogs” and “heart”.

You know who is a dog and who has heart? Lance Ware. You know who Mizzou (and most other teams) hunted on offense over and over? Lance Ware. No amount of effort can magically give that kid the tools to guard a college 4…he struggles enough at the 5. Great kid, smart player, but a limited athlete especially as it relates to guarding closeouts and recovering.
I’m convinced that no 18 year old in todays world is a “Dog”. In fact I’m tired of hearing how so-and-so kid is this and that before they ever step on campus. I won’t believe any of that shit about any of them until I see it with my own two eyes.

Here's another one on the Carleton University Ravens, who of course we all know and love.

The Carleton Ravens are the athletic teams that represent Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario. The most notable sports team for Carleton is the men's basketball team. In men's basketball, the Ravens have won 16 of the last 19 national men's championships, which is more than any top division college in Canada or the United States.[1] The Ravens went on an 87-game winning streak from 2003 to 2006. They also had a 54-game home winning streak. The Ravens finished 2nd in the World University Basketball Championships in 2004.

The video stresses that their defense is more complex than this, but basically their philosophy is to make their opponent dribble with their left hand instead of their right. That's pretty much it. 🤣

It truly makes me wonder how much actual coaching Cal and many of his ilk do. Some of these philosophies are so incredibly simple, but they require a little bit of strategy, analytics, and thought, as opposed to just screaming "GOOOOOOOOO" on offense, or yelling at everyone to be tougher on defense.

Oh that little old Appalachian college basketball program that you LED YOUR NATIONAL SHOW with amidst the NFL playoffs, has won titles since the 40's, and continuously draws the highest ratings in the entire GD sport in virtually every continental US state, wouldn't be able to survive a coaching change after 14 years with the same guy?

Excellent analysis and thanks, Wilbon.

The fact that we're even mentioning PTI (/norunningjerkoff) in this thread is proof that what they do works. I haven't watched 10 seconds of that show in decades. They know mentioning Kentucky basketball or Alabama football will get clicks/eyes, ESPECIALLY if it's some hot take controversial bullshit that we all know isn't true.

Michael Wilbon likely doesn't even believe half the stuff he says anymore, a paycheck is a paycheck.

We've only had one cordial, 30 second conversation about 8 years ago, but I'd fight side by side with SAE. He understands the "us against the world" mentality that is the identity of BBN. . . except when he wants to kick them in their sleeping bags and set their tents on fire when they're camping out for Madness. Probably let you go your own way on that one, maverick.

But everything else? I'm in, baby.

5 different coaches have won National Championships at Kentucky. FIVE!!!! I’m sure we’ll figure it out.

They said the same shit at the end of the Tubby era. Except then we were racist.
That’s exactly what that racist POS said. Of course, we(the fans that actually give a shit) have been proven right then and will be again.

Agreed to do a small NIL deal with the Wade twins. They are from right down the street so some local folks would like to see them in store.

That's what the NIL *should* be about. If they want to do autograph sessions, and paid meet-and-greets, and get $$$ to promote businesses, or sign up for an overpaid no-show job, they should be allowed to do so. I love it. And if some big swinging dick billionaire wants to throw a boatload of cash at a recruit in exchange for his commitment, that's awesome too.

I'm 100,000x more on board with this than I am strongarming your loyal fans into spending even MORE of their hard earned money to buy into some collective.

Everyone knows I've supported Cal the longest, but this is the lowest I've ever been as a UK fan. I actually took off work yesterday bc I was so enraged by the SC loss. There are a thousand questions I want to ask Cal right now, but if I had one, it would be this:

If you're touting positionless basketball, then what does it matter if Livingston plays the 4?

And I would ask him in the style that Daniel Caffey asks Col. Jessup why was it necessary to transfer Santiago off the base if his orders are always followed.

It's so obvious how our rotations should break down and everyone here and everywhere else knows it.

Oscar at the 5 with Collins, Ware and Ugo backing him up. You play the guy who happens to best fit that particular matchup.

Toppin and Livingston rotating at the "4" spot.

That leaves 3 spots for Wallace, CJ, Reeves, Wheeler and Thiero.

Anything else makes zero sense. Like everyone has said here a thousand times, it's pure stubbornness. Cal would rather prove he can do it "his way" than do what the common fan thinks/knows he should do.

I've defended the man for as long as I could, but this season is simply indefensible. I'm willing to admit I am wrong when that's the case. All of you were right and I was wrong.

We are terrible and it's 100% on Cal.

(Vern paddles off on his tattered raft into the sunset.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT