ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Livingston a lot, but I wish he had a natural finishing ability on his drives. His defense is the driving force to him receiving so much playing time especially last night, matched up with Hanibal who is as strong to the basket as any guard I’ve seen this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Col. Angus
Still can’t get over this lmao

Even with the worst of calls you typically know what the ref THOUGHT (or typically anticipated) he saw.

This is simply one of the weirdest/worst I’ve ever seen. And at the time it was a big one, momentum wise.

LSU has some dudes, especially Williams & Hannibal. That’s one helluva duo, with nice weapons around. (Miller would be nice).

Pretty incredible job by McMahon putting that team together from literally ZER0 players.

I was pretty shocked he didn't call that almost TO off Wheeler near the very end OOB off him. I feel like he was looking at Wheeler first, then the spot, made the call then realized it was last touched by the guy from LSU.

Reactions: barbourfor3
- Toppin bringing energy. Using his best assets- length and athleticism. Playing with confidence. Those guys are always valuable despite limitations.

- Think Cal is actually right to be more deliberate- not because it’s good for us but because we don’t have a choice. Transition buckets have proven easy to take from us so may as well try to get better in the halfcourt.

- How many times do we move the ball, swing or kick to a wide open dude on the arc … who is in no way a threat to punish the opponent? Meanwhile, LSU has a 6’9”/250 dude shooting 50% from deep - and seemingly every other program just weaponizes the 3ball. Don’t even get me started on New Bill Self and Kansas these days.

- Bad or not, you have to go all in with Reeves/Fredrick. We just have zero upside without them.

- Wallace lost his legs a bit late.

- I don’t know what to say about Wheeler’s late game FT bullshit. Killed us against St. Peters and Michigan State, and nearly against Michigan and last night. Unacceptable.

- Meanwhile, Tshiebwe ho-hums a 19/16. Good, bad, suspect on the pick-n-roll D, whatever- most productive player I’ve ever seen in blue.

- Livingston can’t finish because he’s being guarded by a smaller guy he can’t beat off the bounce.

- This year has sure softened me on Kellan Grady. Was mad at the guy and now I miss him, miss him bad.

- Look, we’re making progress. I like the spirit and ball movement. At this point, I don’t know what else to do.

- Have a feeling Saturday is going to be UGLY.

The Shows call against Wallace right as UK goes up 10 was complete BS.

The bucket and a FT puts us up 13, and LSU on the ropes, instead a 10 point lead is cut to 5, literally an 8 point swing.

The call was the worst I’ve seen this year, and it seems like Doug Shows does this thing every year. It seems like after that, the whistle against us was tight. The next Foul called on Wheeler was a ghost foul.

Rant over….

At this point, I don’t know what else to do.

I get the sense that this is what Cal is thinking too. Just run those same 6-7 guys as long as you can and hope to stay in games. The ceiling for that group is much lower than our potential, yet we continue to see it.

I suppose we just are what we are now.

I get the sense that this is what Cal is thinking too. Just run those same 6-7 guys as long as you can and hope to stay in games. The ceiling for that group is much lower than our potential, yet we continue to see it.

I suppose we just are what we are now.

Yeah God forbid, our coach gets creative.

Reactions: jayroon
Would love to see the icicles in a road blue but not sure they’d line up right w the tops. At the VERY LEAST the ‘93 shorts need to be permanent this season.

I get that Reeves and Frederick haven’t really had a lot of stuff “run” for them but other than a very few games have either really shot well? They both have had open looks and it’s been brick city. What makes anyone think that they are all of a sudden going to become snipers at this point?

I think that Reeves is either over his head here or Cal has screwed up his mindset so bad that he won’t ever be the guy we were hoping for. He reminds me of Antwain Barbour. And I think that Frederick is mentally week and the bright lights are just too much for him. I don’t expect either of them to be what we need on a consistent basis so why would he keep trotting them out there when they are a liability.

Based on my extremely limited viewing, Reeves and Fredrick are unplayable due to their defense.

They’re just not physically capable of playing at this level. Especially in a system where you have to switch everything and defend multiple spots.

Reactions: Col. Angus
I wish they'd throw every hot take hack in the GD lake with the rest of the has beens. I remember watching the first episode of Cold Pizza 20 some odd years ago and thinking it was stupid. Crazy how ESPN went from Stuart Scott and the Gang to two people yelling irrelevant points at each other just to be "right".

Quite the microcosm of our society, I suppose.

Can Livingston dunk?

The guy has a sneaky handle, and makes some nice aggressive moves to the basket...but always seems to shoot it on the way down looking for a foul instead of at apex, or dunking the damn thing.

Anyone else notice his 3 to open the game? That ball didn't rotate a single degree, complete knuckler...and his others were screwballs. Sometimes his form and rotation looks absolutely perfect -- definitely needs to focus on technique a bit there.

And yes, you HAVE to go w/ Reeves at the 3 with some extended run. Let him find a groove, or at least attempt to. Same w/ CJ when healthy. I just don't see any way we can keep up with these high octane teams otherwise.

Reactions: jayroon and ksta
Based on my extremely limited viewing, Reeves and Fredrick are unplayable due to their defense.

They’re just not physically capable of playing at this level. Especially in a system where you have to switch everything and defend multiple spots.

Now do Oscar and Wheeler and pretty much everyone on this team not named Cason Wallace.

Also doesn't help that they're forced to guard guys who play a completely different brand of basketball than we do so they don't understand how to properly hedge screens, get out on shooters, etc. Must be crazy to see a 4 jack up a 3 off a screen when all you see in practice is the paint.

I get that Reeves and Frederick haven’t really had a lot of stuff “run” for them but other than a very few games have either really shot well? They both have had open looks and it’s been brick city. What makes anyone think that they are all of a sudden going to become snipers at this point?

I think that Reeves is either over his head here or Cal has screwed up his mindset so bad that he won’t ever be the guy we were hoping for. He reminds me of Antwain Barbour. And I think that Frederick is mentally week and the bright lights are just too much for him. I don’t expect either of them to be what we need on a consistent basis so why would he keep trotting them out there when they are a liability.

Cal hangs with other guys who suck all the time - but never shooters. We have zero upside without those two. They need as much PT as possible.

Wheeler is 42% from 3 if you're scoring at home, and actually playing really good basketball.

11 points
9 assists
6 rebounds
2 turnovers

He's the 3rd best player on our team....by a MILE. You can lament that fact all you want, and I understand that he has his spaz moments and limitations, but it's absolutely a fact.

3:1 assist to turnover ratio is ELITE, especially with that level of usage (5th in the nation is assists).

Having him as our handler late, especially w/ regards to FT is obviously not ideal. Then again, Wallace is shooting 57%. Not really sure there is a solution for that issue -- Props to Toppin for stepping up, and to Cal for going w/ the hot hand and confidence builder.

Last edited:
Wheeler is 42% from 3 if you're scoring at home, and actually playing really good basketball.

11 points
9 assists
6 rebounds
2 turnovers

He's the 3rd best player on our team....by a MILE. You can lament that fact all you want, and I understand that he has his spaz moments and limitations, but it's absolutely a fact.

3:1 assist to turnover ratio is ELITE, especially with that level of usage (5th in the nation is assists).

Having him as our handler late, especially w/ regards to FT is obviously not ideal. Then again, Wallace is shooting 57%. Not really sure there is a solution for that issue.

Played great in the first half, was shaky in the second. Definitely have to recognize his improved outside shooting- a Ray Felton/Frank Mason turn. That said, needs to regain his shot at the rim and line.

By the way- a shitty inopportune shot or missed frontend late in the game is just as bad as a turnover - and your boy Wheeler has been shaky AF in those situations.

Don’t try to put me in the spin zone.

Cal hangs with other guys who suck all the time - but never shooters. We have zero upside without those two. They need as much PT as possible.
I get the theory that we need them to be good in order to get anywhere near where we want to be. However at this point what makes you think that we are ever going to get something different than what we’ve seen so far? We are going into conference play and this ain’t the time for them to get it together. That’s what the first month of the season is for.

By the way- a shitty inopportune shot or missed frontend late in the game is just as bad as a turnover - and your boy Wheeler has been shaky AF in those situations.

Don’t try to put me in the spin zone.

Some of this is on Cal though, and by DESIGN. He demands Wheeler have the ball w/ 4 seconds on the shot clock each possession in the Final minutes.

Then, he doesn't design any inbounds plays to get a better shooter open to receive the foul.

We all know Wheeler's weak spots, would be nice if Coach did. You guys act like he's Saul Smith, and it's just ridiculous.

Furthermore, Wallace is leading the team in minutes, AND has a usage rate equal to Wheeler -- so the argument that he's stealing/stunting Wallace simply isn't valid -- that's my only point here. We're much better with him on the court, period, despite his flaws. (again, by a MILE)

^ i mean, that's BLATANT.

Wheeler drives me nuts the same as everyone else when he does his stupid shit. But big picture he's been pretty damn good and not the issue w/ this team - not even close.

Last edited:
Other than lamenting late game miscues, most of the griping about Wheeler is not really about him and instead about Cal's utterly boneheaded rotations. It is stupid to put Wheeler on the floor at the same time as 3 or 4 other non-shooters/scorers.

Wheeler is a great player with some limitations -- like everyone on this roster other than (maybe) Wallace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT