ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do t waste my time with the ‘ways myself. Mostly cotton to coneys and maybe a wrap if I’m feeling off kilter.

Skyline has the clear advantage on hot sauce, serving Tabasco (though repackaged in Skyline branded bottles).

Gold Star used to serve Frank’s, which worked well on coneys, but now I believe their sauce is Texas Pete, which is trash.

Gold Star also used to have a hot sauce line called “Very Very Hot,” which was out of this world. Not sure who made it for them. Very sad that it is no longer around.

My son-in-law, a lifelong resident of Alexandria, turned me on to Gold Star. It is his favorite even though his little sister works at Skyline. It is pretty good, probably better than the other two options.,
As a Western KY philistine, I have to say that my chili (no cinnamon) is way better than anything Northern KY ever produced. Kind of like our WKY barbecue.

Willie, I was laughing out loud at your Uncle Ben post. I was just late in liking it.

Texas Pete, I’ll have you know, is the official hot sauce of the Southeastern Conference. Check yourself.

Reactions: WynnDuffy
-2nd Confederacy Of Dunces, funny, quirky, little meandering story.

-Supposed to get a decent amount of snow Saturday and Sunday which is exciting, but riding down the slopes on some serious runs with my dad at the age of 67 the last few days was incredible. Even brought the GoPro to keep some evidence of it. Watched them tonight and definitely a memory I'm really glad I have. I'll be showing my kids that one day. #sappy

-Having a roaring fire going every night is underrated.

Actually, the chili & cheese topped baked potato at Skyline is wonderful. I think that is what our good friend Joey was possibly talking about. Not always sure with that guy.

This Cincy-Chili thing came up for me outta nowhere about a week ago

I"ve never tried the stuff but the Chief Technologist in our team is from Ohio and he perks up at the mention of Skyline

His brother is a big UK fan

apparently big enough to make him wish ill upon the Cats

I'm the same with my UT fan brothers so -- detente achieved

Actually, the chili & cheese topped baked potato at Skyline is wonderful. I think that is what our good friend Joey was possibly talking about. Not always sure with that guy.
Yup. I don’t like spaghetti. I always go five-way potato.

How many Skyline / chili parlor waitresses did you NKY guys date in your salad/chilito days? I clock in with three.

Reactions: IsRichieGonnaStart
They make Gold Star by cycling Skyline through an old, dirty Brita.

I mean it’ll do in a pinch but still...

Why can’t millenials just stick to mushrooms, extacy, and coke? Maybe a little herb every now and then.

That stuff is WAY better, imo.

Reactions: roguemocha
Lexington is getting a Skyline chili. What’s the difference between that and gold star chili for those in the know???

For you to even ask this question is the perfect example of why your food takes/tastes are to be dismissed. Go have some gluten free sponge cakes or something wide boy.

-I raised the issue of Tide pods with my 15 year old son, and he laughed. According to him, nobody is really doing it - it's all a joke and a hoax, and the media has bought in hook, line and sinker.

-Anyone seen the Black Mirror series on Netflix? A buddy turned me on to it, said watch the White Christmas episode first. Which I did last night. Awesome. Freaky and mind-bending.
Much like the old Twilight Zone.

For you to even ask this question is the perfect example of why your food takes/tastes are to be dismissed. Go have some gluten free sponge cakes or something wide boy.
giphy.gif

Never dated a Skyline or Gold Star waitress. Of course, my late night after drinking chili parlors of choice back in the day were the Bellevue Gold Star (avg age of waitresses - 64) and the Dixie Chili on Monmouth (avg felony per waitress - 3). I did pull off a "Nice to meet you, you have to try this Alligator, wanna come back to my place" Dixie Chili score on a complete random after a night at the Hippopotamus Watering Hole.

Ohio University student. Woke me up in the morning and wanted to know if we were in Indiana.

"No, Dayton."

"Ohio?"

"No."

"Indiana?"

"Close. Where do you need to go?"

Called her a cab.

Empress was a venerable old-line chili parlor. Sad to see it fall on such hard times, if not altogether disappear. Is the one out on 27 in Alexandria still there? That was the last one standing IIRC.

Speaking of random chili parlors, don't sleep on Gourmet Chili, on the 800 block of Monmouth. Greeks still own and operate the place. It's a total dive, but their gyros (no GYERO) are phenomenal.

Speaking of random chili parlors, don't sleep on Gourmet Chili, on the 800 block of Monmouth. Greeks still own and operate the place. It's a total dive, but their gyros (no GYERO) are phenomenal.

That whole block on Monmouth is full of old school diners where you can get breakfast for $5. (Eberts Meats and Newport Pizza FTW as well)

Reactions: WynnDuffy
-acropolis chili in clifton was the go to after underage/barely legal drinking at mr. K's and the R club. Dont remember the food. Had a brother *try* to rob me behind the place once..didnt work out for him.

-Always did well in Clifton...tbh I always did well, I was a great looking kid. Good times.

Just read A Confederacy of Dunces again on a trip out West last year. It's a true classic, especially if you're Catholic, went to Catholic school, etc.

If you're into absurd humor, you'll enjoy.

“I am at the moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT