ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
We carry/walk nearly every possession.

This team does not suck still need Vanderbilt. With he and knox out there I dont see how anyone can man us.

Richards looks like a guy who will be proving GYERO wrong in January. Write this down

I know one thing, Quade Green may be a mess on D but he's about the only guy we have capable of running a half court offensive set.

And that's it for my hot takes from this game.

We have to have him on the floor. It is that simple. So he better learn some touching defense.

Can we bring Rod Strickland in to mentor him or something?

Try the GD zone.

I get it Cal, I really do, but at some point you've got to see what it looks like for 5+ minutes to see if it will hold up or not in real game action.

Quade is physically limited at stopping penetration and at some point we're going to need to use the zone to help with that. Don't see the harm in tossing it in every so often just to see what it looks like.

Quade has the ability to absolutely carry our offense. Knox is nice but he needs to be set up by someone to score consistently. If Diallo actually gave a foch he could score at will. Quade is our best shooter, maybe our best scorer, and the straw that stirs the drink.

Cal is fine. Just hard to learn a completely new roster every single season. I get it. We've had a lot of fun. But this is like watching a JV team. Good news is we have only 1 Lottery Pick on the team, so we'll get to enjoy these guys for another season. But they are at least a year away. We'll have a good year not great. 4-8 seed chill.

Cake bake...young team...atkot.

Last edited:
This is a normal bridge year with all the upperclassmen we had last year graduating, we just need Cal to capitalize when he can. This year feels like 2016 to me. We know about 2015 but we really had it last year, we should've closed out UNC last year and cut the nets - last year was a special team and the bracket in the final four would've been cleared for us, we need to close out tourney games better.

Nice seeing Jaimanthony at the Hyatt Bar. Appreciate the hospitality.

Saw some old friends who I worked with 20+ years ago that I got together. They introduced me to their 12 y.o. daughter as "the man indirectly responsible for your existence." Kinda cool.

Green looked like a poor man's De'Aaron Fox last night. Mid-range stroke was money, confidence in his shot, working the half-court set somewhat efficiently. Big step forward for him.

PJ is the early front runner for most maddening player. Lots of energy and positives early, and he struggled mightily at times in the 2nd half. Forcing his game.

Sasha with another strong showing last night. Got pushed around at times by their big man, but he again made some great effort plays on the boards and on defense.

Jill Szwed in person this morning at work. :100points: :eyes: Her and Hayley Harmon, shew.

Knox and Diallo are gone. Vanderbilt, probably, if he comes back and is what we expect. But it's no lock.

The rest, I think we get back. PJ is a nice talent and will be good...but right now I don't see a first round guarantee for an undersized PF that has questionable ball skills. And Richards marcus just get comfortable in Lexington, if you are a big that can't shoot, you better be elite at rebounding and D before a team burns a pick on you. He is neither although you see flashes.

Shut up about the damn zone. How well has/dis Boeheim’s Syracuse or Chaney’s Temple which specialize in the zone done in March?

Chadwick dropping TRUTH BOMBS.

The Zone is up there on the "idiots talk about it but it doesn't matter" meter.

Who gives a shit? We aren't running zone and we better learn to defend because it is gonna get ugly absent some serious improvement. And Calipari has proven time and again that he will take a team with obvious warts and turn it into something special.

Shut up about the damn zone. How well has/dis Boeheim’s Syracuse or Chaney’s Temple which specialize in the zone done in March?

Anybody who thinks this team doesn't need to run a zone is the same type cat that can't figure out that he either needs to raise the budget or lower the expectations when house hunting.

I think zone should be utilized to show a different look from time to time, stop a run, etc. It's a little ridiculous when Cal comes right out of it after one bucket when we've been getting shredded on the pick and roll all game.

BUT, we will never be a team that runs it as our primary D, not even for particular game...nor should we be.

How many times have we seen our hoopmixtape.com perennial all star McDonald's teams go full retard when a team simply switches defense?

Would be nice to switch it up when March comes and the honk bros are collapsing our rectums running the same damn pick n roll we can't defend.

Cal tried some stupid lil "trap in the middle of the floor??" thing last night, and he's *constantly* teasing us with full court pressure, which will never happen...so why can't we let Tony Barbee do the only thing he's ever done well and run that stupid zone a few times a game to switch it up.

I'm also tired of watching a player get going, get in the flow, then Cal yanks him after 3 minutes. Our substitutions are stupid. It's like damn "PJ killing it...where PJ go? Oh there's gd Wenyen bumbling around like a slinky. He's our veteran leader, spent all summer boxing yaknow, really working those pythons".

I think zone should be utilized to show a different look from time to time, stop a run, etc. It's a little ridiculous when Cal comes right out of it after one bucket when we've been getting shredded on the pick and roll all game.

BUT, we will never be a team that runs it as our primary D, not even for particular game...nor should we be.

Nobody thinks we should run it 40 minutes. Just a couple of possessions in the first half. Then take it from there.

Reactions: Mashburned
HOT TAKE: Calipari hates zone defense. While I absolutely understand the arguments for running a zone at least some of the time with this team, it ain't gonna happen.

And Calipari knows a thing or two about coaching basketball, so I'll trust his instincts.

Reactions: ukcats2008
Listening to some pregame thing, and the guy is on there bragging about the majesty of the Damien Harris banner at Madison Southern[sick]

He's taking a photo of it, a parent of one of the players kinda jokingly goes 'make sure you get one of so and so'. Dickhead responds with 'oh does he go to Bama too?' and is on the radio bragging about this. The kid is evidently pretty good and going to Marshall but who on the hell puts down a high school kid and then brags about it on the radio? Not a huge deal at all to anyone but the kids parents but damn man, maybe not brag about being an asshole to family members of a local football recruit.

It's the dude with Mary Jo, Dan Reefer? Either way, what a dbag and I hope bad things happen to him today.

I don't recall anyone wanting to use it the way Boeheim or Cheney used it. Two totally different situations. Pretty obvious that Cal hates the zone, hell I even hate the zone, but with this team and it's unique physical capabilities ---> you'd be simple not to throw it in as a change of pace defense. Depending on opponent, you toss it in there a few minutes of the game(just enough to get the offense off rhythm/out of wack).

But hey! Terrible idea because Jimmy B runs it for 40 min a game and that's that's the only possible way to do it [eyeroll]

Reactions: bradyjames
This convo is not even happening if...

1) cal didn't talk about it all offseason. OMG OUR WINGSPANS IM TELLIN YA WE MIGHT HAVE TO PLAY ZONE

2) we didn't win our first game against Dipshit U because we couldn't man, so we switched zone and ran them out the gym with breakaway dunks off turnovers.

You can get mad about it, and I'm not saying you're wrong to do so, but we will not be playing zone this year, hell or high water.

And a big bunch of scorn for using "Cal talked about it" as grounds for an argument. Cal will talk about anything. Just ask him. Martians? Probably some talent to mine there. WOW! BIG UPSIDE! FOLKS DID YOU KNOW THERE ARE 8 FOOTERS ON MARS! WE JUST HAVE TO GET A STARSHIP! DID YOU KNOW WE ARE CREATING STARS HERE! LOOK AT THE SYMMETRY OF MY LANGUAGE! SAME AS THE SYMMETRY OF PYRAMIDS ON MARS!

So whatever. We aren't playing GD zone and that is that.

I'm just a fan of doing what works. Admittedly patience in a Wildcats ball team is not a strong suit, mostly because I see teams out there that are enjoying cake now and will also enjoy cake later, and like I said after Tuesday...I'm ready for some dang cake. If that makes me a weird then fine.

Reactions: bradyjames
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT