ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Jealous of people who've never watched Game of Thrones, The Wire or Breaking Bad. To still have those shows in front of you for a binge- wow. Actually, think GOT may be the best for an all-out month-long bender.

- [laughing] Dedric Lawson already suspended at Kansas. Can you imagine if Cal had all the drama Self has?

Much credit to Country Boy Brewing, but Lexington has become a nice little place for micro breweries. CBB, West 6th, Blue Stallion, Ethereal, Mirror Twin, Rock House, and Pivot are all very decent options. Still haven't figured out Life Brewhouse, yet. Tried Pivot yesterday for the first time. Wife sampled the ciders while I did the beer. Pretty solid IPA and an excellent dark beer called Winchester.

So I made the mistake of telling my wife that the Johnny Depp family farm out Versailles Road had an open house yesterday. Of course, she had to see it. Nice enough house with 42 acres. I've never met Johnny, but I once worked with his nephew way back before he became the farm manager and lived on the same street as his grandmother in Owensboro. Bought the farm for his mother, but she died last year. His sister and family live there now. Pretty wild seeing so many family photos, many of them very intimate and personal of the family and Johnny, too. My wife was snapping photos like a tourist while I was getting more and more uncomfortable being there. The place would make for a good B&B venture, I think.

Wife loves doing the Grand Tour of Homes every year. Saw most of them last weekend, but did the new construction one on Scoville in Montclair yesterday. Very nicely done, but the next door neighbor raising chickens and having a rooster crow every 45 seconds might make that a slightly tougher sell.

Reactions: drxman1
* No matter how old I live to be, I will never understand the stupidity of the timeshare. Financing huge sums of money to subsidize future stays within a specific hotel chain, I guess?

Jesus, man.

* Leaving Wednesday for my 3ish week hiatus in The Sunshine State.

Ouray = doing a race there this weekend
Durango = 1 night, staying with my brother and his best buddy from high school
Salida = 4 days of relax and recovery
Aspen = hanging out with WS's cousin Travis. race in town that weekend (he's doing it, i'm not), and we'll be hiking a 14er
Leadville = shooting for a 2nd consecutive finish at the Legendary Race Across the Sky

Good chance I smoke some dope, too. When in Rome.

* My 20th high school reunion was this weekend, and nobody went. Per pictures on the internet. I really wanted to go, but it doesn't look like I missed a thing.

* Praying pretty much solves everything. :joy:

* Heading up to Baton Rouge tomorrow morning. I'm being aggressively recruited, with a job offer on the way. Lots of positives and negatives with this potential gig, so I'm not sure what to make of it. If nothing else, maybe they really bring the heat, and I negotiate a big salary bump with my current employer.

* Friday night was interesting. Saw Corey Feldman's band play. The opening act was an 80s cover band, and they were great. Feldman was predictably terrible, but it wasn't nearly the S show we all anticipated. And my gal got his wife's phone #, which was interesting.

* Slap hitting Zack Cozart has a career year, makes the All Star team, gets put on the DL the week of the trade deadline, and there's basically no market at all for his skills. Ugh. Typical.

Reactions: drxman1
I looked at that one too. Nice house, but outrageously priced in the 700's, imo.

And yeah, next door is a college rental.

Reactions: GrandePdre
It was really more the thought of downsizing and paying a couple extra hundred thousand just to live in a cheeky neighborhood.

Have my 20 year in October and plan on going. I skipped the 5, 10 and 15 year reunions to get drunk and watch college football with my buddies, but I miss some of those folks. Hope people come out.

Reactions: roguemocha
Went to my 10th and it was actually pretty cool. We haven't had one since because that takes effort and planning.

- I haven't seen any of those shows, wcc. So be jealous. Be very jealous.

- The emoji movie is apparently terrible. Shocker. I'm sure I'll be going to see it with the kiddos next weekend as their back to school "treat." Not sure I've seen a good movie for grown ups in the theater in over 7 years. When did that Get Him to the Greek movie come out? Or the first Hangover movie. Slowly becoming BBdK as it relates to the cinematic arts.

- Speaking of back to school, let's go. This time of year sucks for a variety of reasons, but for me it's because I have very little to do. Basketball workouts are limited to three days a week, it's hot, I have time to do crap around the house (no room paintings though), and the kids break their boredom by finding new ways to commit their parents to an asylum.

- Weather was a nice change of pace this weekend. Helped with the Jack Torrance Syndrome quite a bit!

-Tthe UK Football Fan in me still can't see a way we win more than 7 games this fall. Afraid we are setting ourselves up for disappointment with so much hype. QB is still a question mark - I heard that Johnson didn't look that great in spring camp. Accuracy issues.

Strokin, I think you underestimate a little phenomenon called "quiet confidence."

9 wins. Maybe 10.

lol Strokin. Apparently, you missed the BOULDER on the shoulders of our entire defense.

Stick to hoops, dickwad.

Reactions: UKRob 73
Someone post a pic or two of our lineman lifting heavy free weights, and get this guy back on the bandwagon.

-Blue Stallion is still the best in the state. I don't think it's very close either.

-No complaints that houses on the worst street in my neighborhood are going for ridiculous prices. Leggo. Stay out there in Westeria, el doctoro.

-Finally hit up Enoteca. Cool little place. Food was pretty good for Lex standards. Would recommend.

-Finally finished up LCU and Master of None. Think both 2nd seasons were better than the 1st.

-G has Moana songs or the movie on repeat. It's actually not too bad but need strategies to keep material fresh? I'm fine with animated movies but I can't continue to watch the same one.

-Last day of July :cry:

-Am getting a little interested in football season.

-Nice lil rides all over the place.

-I'm the weirdo that watch the first 2 season of GoT and stopped. Zero interest in picking it back up.

*A few weeks ago at Media Day I asked Johnson his thoughts on the upcoming season and he said he was confident, so that alone should get Strokin back on board.

Also while I asked this question, his teammate was sitting next to us not wearing any pants- not sure what that signifies.

*Went to see The Big Sick over the weekend, in between paint shifts. Nice little movie. Definitely would recommend if anyone is trying to put in some preseason equity with a spouse.

*Up and Vanished was an okay podcast. Not top tier with the likes of Serial, but it passed the time just fine. The intro music has a good "creepy vibe" which is an essential piece of the podcast production.

*I like the Cubs trade deadline deals... They got Quintana, Avila, and Justin Wilson without giving up a current big league player. The only rental was Avila, which should be just fine.

*Kitchen is also shut down while the pros are renovating. Finishing up some new ventilation for the commercial range, and doing some brick work... so i've gone full grill for dinner every night. Need to try some new recipes on the egg, but current staples-Chicken fajitas, smoked tenderloin, beef and broccoli with fried rice is the lineup for the next few days.

Last edited:
* 12x10 Pergola is up! Nice addition to the patio.

* Cooked crab legs, shrimp, sausage, corn and potatoes for my MIL's bday yesterday. I could eat that stuff every day. (Insert Anth or BBdK zinger about my weight here)

After GOT last night I watched UL getting waxed by LSU in last year's bowl game. Satisfying.

* Been doing all sorts of shit around the house... cleaned the basement (scrubbed millions of bloody paw prints off of the concrete floors), installed a few new light fixtures, touched up a few areas that needed it.)

Put the wife in a good mood, so I convinced her if this year's bonus is around the same as last year's we will be finishing the basement next year. GYERObar North could be open by the Final Four. Eek.

* My wife painting story resulted in the only time I ever just got in my car and drove away in anger.

We had just spent over $3k getting the house painted before we moved in. She was ridiculous about changing her mind after the painters got a little color on the wall in every room. When it was finally done, it looked absolutely fantastic.

It was 100% completed and she started questioning the shade of blue in the laundry room (which is also the entry from the garage) and the half bath. I finally put my foot down and said "Enough. It looks great."

I came home from work a few days later and she had painted both rooms herself. Needless to say, it was not the same professional quality as it was before. I was madder than a hornet. Why TF did I just pay professionals to do a great job only to have her absolutely butcher it?

It's been over 3 years now and I still haven't touched it up/fixed it. I've never been that mad.

Nothing like weddings or home improvement projects to bring out the C in BBC.

In other words, have fun being married wcc you big stupid dummy.

- Work with a group of guys that really care and keep up with recruiting (football & basketball) and I.... just can't. I'll root for 'em once they get here but I just have no desire to care where an 18-year old non-family member goes to college.

- 6-6

- The Reds have come out of the All-Star break on fire.

- Kinda crazy how quickly so many companies caught up with Yeti. Thumbs up to the $7 Wal-Mart version.

Football is really difficult to keep up with outside of our main targets or guys already committed. Basketball is pretty easy though. 6-8 main targets per year. The guys we go after are typically on ESPN a couple times per year and the most covered recruits.

Facebook will eventually completely kill the high school reunion.
Yep. Our 10th never happened because our class president (who was in Texas doing her residency and had better things to worry about) kept posting suggestions instead of firm plans on Facebook, which, of course, were immediately vetoed because there were 300 people in our class and nothing was going to work for everyone. She finally just said "eff it."

Which is fine. Facebook really started to spread when we were freshmen in college, so we've basically had constant form of contact with everyone since we graduated and as it turns out, I'm fairly indifferent toward most of them and their major life events.

30something, not very athletic who probably never played sports, sits at a desk all day, sportswriter

20yo, world class athlete, access to world class doctors and training staff

Turf toe in these 2 situations are not really comparable.

-ed Oliver ptsd>turf toe.

-you're not alone on GOT anth. Quit after 1 season. I like fantasy/dork movies...just could not get onboard.

-endeavor is a good show. I've been on a bit of a British mystery jag(**** off...i know I'm old) over the last few years and it's the best of the genre.

-peaky blinders and river are solid Netflix offerings.

-took Mrs. Rudd1 to the gorge yesterday. Really can't spend too much time there...good for the mind/body and such.

-headed to lake watagua in a few weeks. Lakefront house/rented a pontoon boat for a day. Will knock off a stretch of the AT.

-shaking off battered fan syndrome...im optimistic: fb cat's win 8 REG season games.

-heard good things from good people about broadchurch. I have avoided due to subject matter...fatherhood has softened me i guess. No desire to see a story about a dead child extrapolated to that degree.

It certainly did, but you're allowed to move up to 45 degrees....which is not right and lefties suck.
The 45 degree issue/debate is probably the most discussed yet inconclusive argument on the topic. Most lefty's with a real good move go well beyond 45 degrees. The guy in the video probably did- but its just tough to call.

There was a similar video posted during a spring training game and it was about 50/50 when umpires were asked if it were a balk or not. There was a followup with the guys who said it was a balk- asking if they would actually call it - and most said probably not.

It's amazing at about the high school level, to hear fans complain in unison just about every time a lefty throws to first. "BALLK!! HE BALKED, BLUE!" is the standard comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT