ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played 50-60 games at 11-12 year olds. Loved it. Best part of summer...until discovering girls.

Nothing cracks me up like a parent justifying spending $15K per year for 6-7 years on their kids athletics to potentially get them a scholarship at Directional State U.

So little money available to boys baseball. Scholarships and grants only pay part of the load. So, you're essentially paying for your kid to play ball whether as a DI or DIII player.

Played 20 games in little league. Usually 3 games for All Stars, then it was whiffle ball through the fall.

Got to PRP and started playing spring through fall...roughly 80 games.

Played 50 games last year with 05's group...and it was bordering on being too much. But it was spread out from March through July, with 20 of those games coming in the last 40 days. And then we completely shut it down once we lost in the Regional Semis. For 3 months. And didn't play a game again until this March.

35-40 games is the right number over a 5-6 month period. Especially for young pitching arms. Even with all the games, we always tried to keep our starters under 60 pitches per game with proper days rest. We try to keep 8 or 9 pitchers on the roster to spread out the throwing.

Coached a couple summers for a 16u travel team. Thankfully we had a ton of 2 way guys, because playing 2-3 games a day in 95 ° southern heat had everyone pretty drained after 3 days of it. I don't see how the kids do it, the wear and tear has already started to show with the recent rash of elbow injuries. I'm afraid it's going to take more for someone to regulate/control it.

Reactions: roguemocha
the wear and tear has already started to show with the recent rash of elbow injuries. I'm afraid it's going to take more for someone to regulate/control it.

I threw my elbow out in Little League because I had a curve ball that broke about four feet. You know what I don't regret? Hurting my elbow in Little League due to striking chumps out with my sick curve ball. What the hell would I have been saving it for? Babe Ruth ball? American Legion? Not even your own parents go to those games.

I'll probably watch because of lack of options, but can we retire Celtics/Lakers documentaries. Let's put the lid on OJ Simpson docs while we're at it.

Alright, this is effing GREAT. So many memories, so many UK tie-ins, starting right off the bat in the first 5 minutes:

-Cliff Hagan and the St. Louis Hawks, check.

-Elgin Baylor, check: we beat his Seattle team in 1958 title game.

-Jerry West, check: family stories about him from us playing WVU in UKIT.

-Cornbread Maxwell, IIRC, Cats beat his UNCC team in 1976 NIT, on the way to winning that when Goose, Robey, Phillips and Lee were sophs, building toward the infamous (for me) 1977 East Regional final loss to UNC (Four Corners - my worst loss ever and the seed of my UNC hatred) but ultimately building toward Title #5 in 1978. And I remember Cornbread and UNCC playing in that 1977 FF.

-Magic, check: beat him as a FR in 1978 Mideast Regional, when (as SI put it) Cool Cookie Kyle Macy drained 6 straight FTs in final 2 minutes. Then the epic Magic vs. Bird title game happened the next year, and it all started up.

-Several scenes of Robey playing with Bird.

-Riley.

And I'm not even 90 minutes in yet.

Basically, a history of early modern era NBA. My son loves the NBA, this is a great opportunity to show him how it came to be, and how UK influence fits into all of it. All while selfishly reliving memories from my childhood.

Freaking awesome.

Last edited:
Sounds awesome. I'll be checking it out. I figured it was going to be a Bird/Magic circlejerk.

bird-kareem.jpg

The early stuff emphasizes racism and social issues, but OK, I guess that was part of the culture. That stuff fades by the wayside as it goes on.

Just a lot of great memories I had as a teen, but placed into historical context that I didn't understand then.

Why does Ice Cube have to narrate everything LA related? And Donnie Wahlburg? Are you shitting me? That's the best they could do for Boston?

Coached a couple summers for a 16u travel team. Thankfully we had a ton of 2 way guys, because playing 2-3 games a day in 95 ° southern heat had everyone pretty drained after 3 days of it. I don't see how the kids do it, the wear and tear has already started to show with the recent rash of elbow injuries. I'm afraid it's going to take more for someone to regulate/control it.
50 games or anything close at 10-13 or so is crazy. I think we played about 20 maybe 23 when we won the Peanut League World Effing Series man. I enjoyed playing ball, but I also really enjoyed running amuck in the neighborhood with my buddies all day, playing in the creek, catching crawdads, pool days at my bud's, exploring the nearby woods, building forts and shooting BB guns. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Shooting at a Congressional baseball team practice this morning.

Yeah go ahead and make your kids play baseball, parents who don't care if their kids get shot.

Hump Day Randos:

-77/73 at Old Cap over the weekend...Six (6) 3putts over the two days kept me from ever getting anything truly going. Those greens are severe AF when you're above the hole, which I seemed to enjoy doing. Fun tourney though, pretty stacked field and the locals treat it like their little Eli.

Played out at Chariot Run (Caesars) yesterday...first time, which is amazing considering how many times I've been to the casina. That's a helluva track -- we played Tips @ 7300/76.1/138. Difficult.

-Saw where the Bulls & Jordan got it done yet again. Impressive

-Long been amazed by his business/earning success, but always ignored Calvin Harris THE MUSIC b/c I hate 98% of EDM, but he's putting out some hip hop assisted jams lately that are :fire:. West coasty summer sounds.

Speaking of earning, Forbes released their Top 10 Celebrity Earners:

5. Ronaldo
4. Drake
3. J.K. Rowling
2. Beyoncé

1. Diddy (130M, and it wasn't even close lol)

take that, take that. What a successful dude.

-Caught that piece on NBC w/ Megyn Kelly Sunday evening on BitSource and Eastern KY. That's pretty awesome, that founder dude seems like one helluva guy. Also, made me even more interested to read that Hillbilly Elegy book.

-A bit rusty on the ole diving board. Been probably 20+ years since I've jumped off an actual elevated blue springy board. Got the swan dive down, but scared to go any further at the moment. Saw some rascal crash and burn on the 'pre' jump to open the season and that got in my head, I believe. Trying to gain inspiration from the little fat 6 year olds out there doing Gainers and 1.5s like it's nothing, but it's slow going at the moment. #TrustTheProcess

-The Prices in 2017 don't justify having to pick it up and cook it yourself, but lassie brought home a Papa Murphy's NYC style the other day, they drop off free coupons to their drive thru occasionally ----> thing was great. The quality is and always has been a notch or two above the typical delivery chain. Very fresh-tasting #norichie

-Speaking of pizza, down 12lbs since vacation, still smokeless. Feel Great

-#USOpen :fire::golf: Erin Hills looking pretty beastly, as expected. My favorite major, oh, and you get to actually watch it on TV which is pretty cool.

early

Does working really work?

Yes, I do. Typically 25-30 hours per week physically in the office, and I can work & am available from anywhere when I'm not here if & when needed. I have one of them there smart phones or whatever the kids are calling them these days.

PTI(pti) is the person you need to be posing that question to, imo.

Don't worry about this Scalise shooting, guys. I've already read at least one full length opinion piece blaming this entire fiasco on "the left."

Case closed.

So this shooter was loaded down with ammo, had a clear line of sight to targets, very minimal security to deal with, was able to fire about 50 rounds, and only hit about 4 people with no casualties.

Very lucky.

Also, dude must be a horrible shot.
Sounds like there was a full detachment of Capitol police, otherwise could have been a lot worse.

Are you ready for some footie?!?!?!

DCRE5TSXUAAl2lR.jpg

The announcement of the Premier League opening day fixtures (the English word for this is "games") is the first real sign that summer's almost over. Finally.

Bring your laptop, fire that puppy up every couple days for about an hour (usually while enjoying the break from friends/family/significant others, and sipping a java) to clear out email and make the 1-2 necessary phone calls. That's all you need to stay up.

Vacay better, GYERO.

Some us work real jobs and have real responsibilities.

Bring your laptop, fire that puppy up every couple days for about an hour (usually while enjoying the break from friends/family/significant others, and sipping a java) to clear out email and make the 1-2 necessary phone calls. That's all you need to stay up.

Vacay better, GYERO.

That's right folks, the way to take a vacation from work and responsibility the right way is to work for about 2 hours every 2 days while you're on vacation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT