ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
U.K. Teams under Cal have lost 6 of their last 8 road openers. Went to the game, regret it almost as soon as I got there, and you could tell the atmosphere was bothering the players. Also the locals guys on UL seem to relish the situation while our guys just looked like they were ok with an L if they could just GTFO.

U.K. Teams under Cal have lost 6 of their last 8 road openers. Went to the game, regret it almost as soon as I got there, and you could tell the atmosphere was bothering the players. Also the locals guys on UL seem to relish the situation while our guys just looked like they were ok with an L if they could just GTFO.
Glad they bothered to come out after half, then.

884da84e-9c2c-4318-9e92-3e955f972f95

Shorts:

- Tip of the cap to homeboy Snider. Huge game from that kid.

- We're getting killed by big wings. All those SF misses every damn year are hurting us. Lol at the idiots who really thought Gabriel was a college wing.

- Willis is a senior. He needs to hit open 3s and FTs in games like this. Good job rebounding but still.

- Briscoe was mediocre AF. Not sure what he gives us that a combination of Hawkins and Mulder don't, to be honest.

- Mulder needs minutes. He's the biggest guard we have and also stretches the floor.

- Hard to knock Fox but his misses way too many Js and is shaky at the line.

- Wouldn't expect Bam to hit'em all but dude needs to at least get half of them.

- Cal has to figure some shit out. This is a different squad than he's used to.

I don't think we go to Bam enough. To be fair, we haven't needed to go to him much in a halfcourt set in previous games. But when the transition game is cut off and shots aren't falling, you need to feed the big man. It was there for the taking and we didn't take advantage of it much. Reminded me of the WVU game honestly. Funky zone...cold shooting...no transition game...and not enough Big Cuz. That's on Cal.

But the team is young and they will grow. Cal needs to recognize though that in these games he HAS to go inside. Big Cuz...Towns...Bam.

Monk is great, but he's kind of a one-trick pony so far this season. He uses his insane athleticism to create space on jump shots, and little else, which I find unfortunate and a little troubling tbh. He should be a great rebounder -- and has he had a dunk all year that wasn't a breakaway...? Or a power drive to the basket through contact? He even lays half of his run-outs in if he's anticipating contact. He's a lazy player with elite talent, needs to change his mindset to truly be great.

Kinda thought he'd be a little more DWade than Steph Curry, but whatever.

-Night was a blast, despite the outcome. Pregame went from 0-100 in a blink of an eye...one second it was just a few of us having beers, then suddenly it was SECT style packed everywhere. Fireball flowing, shit talking galore...good times. Our section of UK fans was absolutely obnoxious, and borderline embarrassing...but that's the one game/venue I'll accept the behavior.

-Sorry Maxx/UCL, I was on one, in a bad way, after the game.

-The Grayson Allen/Duke/K backlash is beautiful. K is a bitch, I don't give AF if he visited our locker room, he's great at being graceful in victory. He's absolutely fuming right now at all the media 'coaching' and judgment, not something he's ever really had to deal with. #worship

-We're a good team with many flaws -- just like everyone else.

-Hits keep coming for KU. Azubuike is a big loss for them, especially w/ the Bragg situation. He was considered by many to be a potential key to their season as he developed.

-Today sucks

Monk is great, but he's kind of a one-trick pony so far this season. He uses his insane athleticism to create space on jump shots, and little else, which I find unfortunate and a little troubling tbh. He should be a great rebounder -- and has he had a dunk all year that wasn't a breakaway...? Or a power drive to the basket through contact? He even lays half of his run-outs in if he's anticipating contact. He's a lazy player with elite talent, needs to change his mindset to truly be great.

Kinda thought he'd be a little more DWade than Steph Curry, but whatever.

-Night was a blast, despite the outcome. Pregame went from 0-100 in a blink of an eye...one second it was just a few of us having beers, then suddenly it was SECT style packed everywhere. Fireball flowing, shit talking galore...good times. Our section of UK fans was absolutely obnoxious, and borderline embarrassing...but that's the one game/venue I'll accept the behavior.

-Sorry Maxx/UCL, I was on one, in a bad way, after the game.

-The Grayson Allen/Duke/K backlash is beautiful. K is a bitch, I don't give AF if he visited our locker room, he's great at being graceful in victory. He's absolutely fuming right now at all the media 'coaching' and judgment, not something he's ever really had to deal with. #worship

-We're a good team with many flaws -- just like everyone else.

-Hits keep coming for KU. Azubuike is a big loss for them, especially w/ the Bragg situation. He was considered by many to be a potential key to their season as he developed.

-Today sucks
Oh, you're fine. I was being a bit of a bitch.

And I've got the same concerns about Monk that you do. I'm not sure he can get to the rim in the half court, or if he can he sure isn't trying to. When his jumper isn't falling, he gives you nothing else. That isn't sustainable.

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
Pretty cool of Cal to come out of that under 16 when we're rolling with Humphries, Willis, Dom, Briscoe and Johnny David.

Why the hell does he do that? Drives me nuts. Seems like as soon as a line up gels or a player scores he pulls them.

We have 3 elite guards, rotate the subs for them. They only need 1-2 minutes per half based around media timeouts to rest. F*ck sake.

Anth's 3 scorers on the floor at all times rule.

Gary Parrish: "Only two teams have ever shot worse from 3 than Kentucky and won a national title."

So you mean we could shoot even worse and still win it all? Thanks for the info, Gary!

I get all the hot takes rolling out after a big game like that, but it's DECEMBER.

Had both teams shot their season average from three last night (UK 34%, UofL 32%), Kentucky wins that game by 9 points, and Gary Parrish is forced to keep that little nugget in his pocket until UK's next bad shooting night.

- Hopefully Monk gobbled up that humble pie last night and remembers it. Dude's head was huge coming into the game.

- Shitty scheduling job, UK. Huge game in Vegas and then at Louisville?

- Outside shooting isn't the least of my worries but it's not top 3 right now. Biggest concern is checking a big wing like Tatum or Jackson.

- I know one thing- Monk's shot selection will improve. He's not much different than Murray was at this point.

- Bam's going to be a stud by March. Babysteps but he's progressing every game.

-3% is low because the wrong people are taking them and too many of them. We have shooters.

-Think our D rebounding struggles are related to the guards trying to get out on the break too quickly before securing the ball. That and Monk being lazy.

-Bam needs to touch the ball on >75% of possessions.

-I'm ok with Briscoe, at least he's in there fighting while struggling with his scoring. However, Mulder is going to have to steal someone's minutes.

-Will someone teach these guys how to hedge on the high screen?

-

- Bam's going to be a stud by March. Babysteps but he's progressing every game.

He's as good as his number of touches, imo.

We're getting better at it, but it's still criminal how little we focus on establishing him. It should be THE focal point when we are in a half court situation, and everything else works off that.

- Hopefully Monk gobbled up that humble pie last night and remembers it. Dude's head was huge coming into the game.
Just told BBdk the same thing. Word for word. Really disappointed in his game last night. Once he realized his shot was off he could've used himself to create space for Bam. Or at least dove on the floor for a few boards. Watch that last 1:00 if you really want to be infuriated by him. Terrance Jones style shit.

Pretty cool of Cal to come out of that under 16 when we're rolling with Humphries, Willis, Dom, Briscoe and Johnny David.

Why the hell does he do that? Drives me nuts. Seems like as soon as a line up gels or a player scores he pulls them.

We have 3 elite guards, rotate the subs for them. They only need 1-2 minutes per half based around media timeouts to rest. F*ck sake.

Anth's 3 scorers on the floor at all times rule.

No big deal per Matt Jones. I thought it completely changed the tone of the game. We were rolling before the first tv timeout.

You may be able to steal minutes individually but not with a full lineup.

Titus, for one, saw it coming:

I’m terrified that (Monk) will go 3-for-19 in a huge game this season (like Wednesday night’s matchup at Louisville), but screw it — I’ll still proudly serve as the president of the Monk fan club.

Our section was 2 to 1 in favor of UK. And crazy obnoxious. Louisville fans leaving mid game. Fights. Yelling back and forth. Spilled beers. Cat on Cat crime. Heard Joe got into a fight with a 60 yo. I took a right hook from Richie. BBdK getting sloppy. It was basically your worst episode of Jerry Springer. At 29000 feet above the court. Good times tho.

Exactly. It isn't the NBA where you play 100 games a season or the MLB with a pitch count. 3 of Fox, Monk, Briscoe and Bam need to be on the floor at all times. He needs to spell Fox around media timeouts as much as possible or when the other PG is getting a quick rest.

Reactions: _Chase_
Just one of those nights. We played absolutely mediocre in a very hostile environment against a top 10 team who played the very best they can play. Margin of error is razor thin and they're a legit top 10 team with great length and athleticism.

That fng junk zone that UL uses touched us up. Confused us which it's designed to do.

-3% is low because the wrong people are taking them and too many of them. We have shooters.

Fox had at least a half dozen wasted trips by jacking 18 footers and 3's.

Monk's shot selection was terrible.

Gabriel shot two 3's that had absolutely no chance of going in because he rushed them and wasn't set.

Bilas nailed it when Bam kicked out to Mulder and he hit that 3. Good things happen when you go inside.

Reactions: roguemocha
- Does Willis get any props for the 9 boards?

- Teams hitting Js early always opens things up. Louisville is a shit team from the outside but sure enough they came out on fire and so we had to extend. They capitalized from then on.

Remember when Fox shot faked and hit that runner +1? Woww.

We're just a bit selfish right now, imo. See what camp cal can do. These boys just don't get it.

I'm most disappointed in Briscoe. I thought he did get it. His role had changed so much since last year and it doesn't look like he knows wtf he's supposed to do either. He's worked so hard on his shot. Bless his heart.

Remember when monk dumped it down to bam who drew wing off monk, bam quickly sent it back and Monk hit a 3? Wow that was easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT