ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
As soon as Cal is gone Mr. Wildcat Boy will play Mr. Objective Sportswriter and parrot exactly what SAE just said. TMFS. And it's cool. It's fine to acknowledge the good as well as the less than good.

The way Cal tenses up and goes full retard when trying to close games is embarrassing and I don't understand it. He's got the yips or something. Sometimes I just wish he'd go to the locker room and cool his jets while Kenny quietly managed the team with his icy stares.

Like that one game where Cal got tossed and Ullis just ran the show pretty flawlessly. They just balled and controlled the flow of the game like any group of guys that had superior physical talent.

Watched a hooker take down a well to do middle aged professional last night at my hotel bar in SF. It was bold but efficient as many of us were watching the interaction. It's pretty universal wherever I go but always interesting to watch play out. Life, enjoy the ride.

-I've just always assumed that John Salley and J.B. Smoove are the same person.

-Three steals for tonight: Zimmerman, Bentil, and Cat Barber.

-Can't wait to see which pop song ESPN makes me hate by the time the draft ends.

-Time for the now-annual Shane Battier "that's great" clip.

Draft Randos:

Sleepers:

Demetrius Jackson -- Feel like he's one of the safter picks in the entire draft
De'Andry Bembry
Malcolm Brogdon -- NBA body, just knows how to play. Rotation player from Day 1 imo

Bust:

Deyonta Davis
Wade Baldwin
Diamond Stone
The two guys from Washington, Chriss and Murray...I feel like they've got serious bust potential. I watched Washington and late night Pac-12 Bill Walton enough times that I feel like I should know who these guys are. And I don't. The guy I remember the most from Washington and thought was their best player was Andrew Andrews. Chriss and Murray didn't register. And both are projected lotto?

If Washington had a guy who could coach even a lick...man, that's a sleeping giant program that has no excuse to be as bad as it is.

73... Shut up. You kiss his ass on here 365 & he still gives you non stop shit all of time. Also, great analogy comparing the Tubby Pollyanna's to Cal & his tenure. Solid comp.

Cal deserves some grief for missing on some titles. That's reasonable. But non stop negativity & smarminess about anything and everything regarding the man 100% of the time is ridiculous.

Scouts thinking Thon Maker may be 2-4 years older than he claims to be? :joy:

That is a big deal when considering a basketball prospect.

I know it's a perceived big deal, but really, I don't think it is for the team that drafts him. It may be a big deal at the end of his career, when it's shorter than originally expected, but during that rookie contract, and even the next contract, age shouldn't be a factor. In fact, teams will now likely get him for cheaper.

I mean someone that was possibly 22 when they were playing against high schoolers is a pretty big deal when it comes to evaluating talent.

Meh. He's getting drafted based on his size and skill set. Not how he performed against 5'10 Johnny Queefington at Ballsack High.

How Erica Sillyass landed Holly Sonders is one of life's mysteries

Shouldn't it be 24/7/52 instead of 24/7/365

More interested in where Tyler goes tonight than Jamal/Skal/Alex

Is Chase for real???

Maker was considered extremely raw at 18 or 19 years old. If he turns out to be 22 or 23, that's a *huge* deal.

That's the same age as Anthony Davis. That's older than Booker or Towns by a ways.

Put it this way -- if he was truly drafted at 18 or 19, by the time he was 22 or 23 he'd be a complete bust and out of the league entirely. So yeah, that's a big deal.

Following along w/ the 'Morning Drive' romances, Brandel Chamblee (53) is engaged to their current host Bailey Mosier (29).

Now, she's not even in the same Galaxy as Sonders, but marcus welby for that old dork.

11687.jpg

Reactions: ukwizard and wcc31
I really just wanted to give Chad shit, but at this point I'm sticking to my guns. I'm not sure anyone thought Thon Maker was going to be league MVP at any point in his career. He can still develop into a really good player and have a lot of good years even if he's 22.

Not even close to a finished product. He's gotten zero quality coaching, and zero from a professional strength and conditioning program.

Not even close to a finished product. He's gotten zero quality coaching, and zero from a professional strength and conditioning program.
So, by the time he's pushing 30 you will have a player equivalent to just about anyone else you could pick up in the top 20? Hard to argue that imo

Not saying Ulis will be a bust cause second rounders aren't considered busts. Just don't think if he's taken in the second he gets another chance if things don't initially work out.

He can still develop into a really good player and have a lot of good years even if he's 22.

:joy:

Based on WHAT?? Wishful thinking?

I'll help you out here....players skills and bodies mature significantly as they age, and their skills peak out around 25-28. When you draft a teen, you're making a somewhat safe assumption his ability and physical tools will follow a normal progression. When he's already gone thru those years, your hope for his game improving lessens with each passing year.

I mean, you're not this gd stupid, are you?

Maker is 2 years away from being the very best he will ever be ever in his entire life. And at this point, he can't really dribble, shoot, pass, defend, or play the game with any competence. That's a big deal.

The post wasn't meant to be specifically about Tubby, but rather the group think that happens with coaches and fans. The sunshine pumpers mainly. Cal is the bee's knees. But he isn't immune to criticism. SAE is just keeping it real. And I appreciate it. He offers a unique perspective.

He needs 7-8 years of that stuff before he's any good?
If he's 23 (and however many days/months), in 5 years he will be "pushing 30." And yes, it takes most "raw" guys that long to get their feet in the NBA. If they ever do

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT