ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Secretariat was scrutinized like a mug, and he couldnt even respond to the hate. Just had to take it. He eventually let his running do the talking on the way to a Triple Crown in Professional Horse Racing.
He's still being scrutinized to this day in our basketball shorts. smh

Reactions: Mashburned
Screen-Shot-2016-02-05-at-10.51.42-AM.png

[laughing]

Christ.

Nothing solidifies an argument quite like a 4 year old post on Bleacher Report by Zack Pumerantz.

The supposed King of basketball may haven't won a ring yet, but he certainly has garnered a champion's level of media attention.

A two-time MVP and the face of the league, LeBron James will forever be dissected by the sports world for his controversial moves and remarkable prowess.

Finally he gets a shot at playing cameraman.

CASE CLOSED!!

On Sunday night, during the epic Game 7, 95% of America will be watching Game of Thrones, playing on Snapchat, or Netflix-and-chilling.

During major sporting events 30+ years ago, on the other hand, the only other two tv stations available would be showing a cheesy game show rerun, dead air, or an endless loop of the Nation Anthem.

Just because there are MORE media venues, doesn't mean the scrutiny is dialed up. Game 7 may not even be the highest rated program of the night, to be honest.

Reactions: SAECATFAN
Archie Bunker disagrees.

-Saying today's crazy ass media saturation, 24hr news cycle, & available technology doesn't have any effect on the level of scrutiny high profile people face on a daily (or hourly) basis is so idiotic I'm not even gonna respond.

Go run a hunnit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joey Rupption
Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away.
Now it looks as though they're here to stay.
Oh, I believe in yesterday.

Suddenly, I'm not half the man I used to be.
There's a shadow hanging over me.
Oh, yesterday came suddenly.

Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
BBdK -- were your sports takes this shitty back in the day, too??

That's one situation where modern day definitely trumps the past, imo.

An athlete that plays one of the big 3 sports hasn't faced 'real' scrutiny unless they live and play in a major city. Mainly NYC. Chicago and LA to a lesser extent.

Typical CoolCat modern day bias.

Clearly you forget the Luke Skywalker reveal back in the 80s.

I think you forget that the mystery of Jon Snow's mother has been around for 20 GD years now. Thank the God of Tits and Wine for HBO because GRRM sure as hell isn't finishing this shit.

Reactions: Hankshaker
I think you forget that the mystery of Jon Snow's mother has been around for 20 GD years now. Thank the God of Tits and Wine for HBO because GRRM sure as hell isn't finishing this shit.
You know, one could say that the divine mystery of the parentage of the protagonist of the New Testament has been heavily scrutinized for going on 2,000 years or so.

Diego Maradona. Significantly more scrutinized than Lebron James. Scrutinized on a global level, was a phenom from age 12. Started playing professionally at age 15. Was on the Argentina national team at age 16, and controversially left off the WC team at age 17 because the coach said he was too young. Then played in 4 world cups, as well as professionally in Spain and Italy. Highly controversial.

Diego Maradona. Significantly more scrutinized than Lebron James. Scrutinized on a global level, was a phenom from age 12. Started playing professionally at age 15. Was on the Argentina national team at age 16, and controversially left off the WC team at age 17 because the coach said he was too young. Then played in 4 world cups, as well as professionally in Spain and Italy. Highly controversial.
NCAA+Basketball+Tournament+Final+Four+Championship+LCcO9RUZdjrl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT