ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Social media is just the vehicle today. Doesn't mean criticism wasn't just as prevalent back then.

Anhow, you get Lebron and I get the field of Ali, Robinson, Tiger, Bonds, Rodriguez, et al. I like my team.

Reactions: MotorCityKat
Terry Cummings
Buddy Bell
Thurman Thomas

bhill-2.jpg

Good article. Interesting to hear Tarbell's comments on the recent stuff.

As much as I love going down to OTR as an old who remembers when it was OFF LIMITS you do kinda have a bit of "uh, yeah, so where'd all the actual residents go?" feeling sometimes. Then you get a turtle from Gomez and power through.

I watched a crane put a hot tub up on top of a run down old crack house on Central Pkwy this week. Supposedly an attorney had bought it and was going to completely renovate it, including an elevator for his vehicles. Gentrification y'all.

Ramsey offering his resignation to new board. They could decline. King Bevin also said current BoT could seek reappointment. They may just be clearing them all out to just reappoint all Ramsey honks.

Ali is the most scrutinized athlete in history. Not really debatable.

Lebron is way up there though. As is Tiger.

When Jack Johnson won the heavyweight title there were riots in many major cities throughout the country by crowds unhappy with an AA boxing champ.

Later he was prosecuted under the Mann Act for marrying white women and went to prison.

But I do agree that he probably wasn't subject to as many crippling hot takes as LeBron.

LeBron has brought much of his criticism on himself. I don't think he's treated all that unfairly by the media considering the time period. That said- much of that is a credit to him as he seems like a decent guy for the most part who generally handles himself well.

LeBron has brought much of his criticism on himself. I don't think he's treated all that unfairly by the media considering the time period. That said- much of that is a credit to him as he seems like a decent guy for the most part who generally handles himself well.
He gets criticized. But he also gets paid an obscene amount of money.

And he's not going to jail.

All in all I'd say he has it pretty good imo

Reactions: UKraziest
Did Brooks really say Dennis rodman, Barry bonds and arod?

Anth even thinks that's a bad take

Reactions: jayroon
When Jack Johnson won the heavyweight title there were riots in many major cities throughout the country by crowds unhappy with an AA boxing champ.

Later he was prosecuted under the Mann Act for marrying white women and went to prison.

But I do agree that he probably wasn't subject to as many crippling hot takes as LeBron.

Doing the math for the zeitgeist: "Hey that guy's black. We hate black people." Didn't require much scrutiny to reach a result.

It depends on what your definition of "is" is. ATKOT.

Meh, most of you are missing the point Stroking was originally trying to make, per usual.

Lebron is unique b/c he was being watched before he could even drive a car, and it hasn't let up for a single day since then -- and it's been mostly sports related, unlike most of your other examples.

It's a different era today with the 24 hr news cycle, so impossible to compare. Per usual, I wasn't even thinking about athletes before I was born & didn't witness personally -- but that's what SAE & '73 are for.

It's a different era today with the 24 hr news cycle, so impossible to compare. Per usual, I wasn't even thinking about athletes before I was born & didn't witness personally -- but that's what SAE & '73 are for.

We're refuting YOUR god damn claim that he's the most criticized athlete EVER. EVER seemed to imply anytime in history, dickwad.

Today? Sure.

EVER? No.

Reactions: wcc31
Actually, no. It wasn't my claim, and I didn't say 'criticized' either.

Sorry, Wayne -- but, no. Hockey lol.

It's a different era -- it simply wasn't possible to be as closely scrutinized on an hourly basis back then. The world is different today...wayyy different.

Simple stuff. You guys are doing a great '73 impression though.

Ursch, tell us all about Wayne Gretzky, and what you remember on a daily basis reading/hearing from him, and him being criticized/scrutinized, and never being able to go 5 minutes in life without seeing his name? Never heard you talk about it before.

Ali's 2nd Half career was determined by the Supreme Court. Pretty high level of scrutiny there bub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT