ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
[laughing]

No, they are stating in terms of the YARDAGE.

If you're walking and it's 88 but the Heat Index is 100, is it different for professional walkers?

No.

They may perform better, or take less time (or club, for a better golfer), but the factual heat/yardage is the same.

Good grief. :weary:
Look....if the commentators were covering the Eli and a foursome of hacks played a hole like this into the wind, do you think they'd only add 16 yards to what the hole is playing like for that group?

I'm kicking myself for not giving soccer a chance until a few years ago. I've actually become a defender and I'm still nowhere near the soccer ball that some are knowing the intricacies of the formations, the strategies, etc...

Watching Messi come in the other day and score a hat trick in 19 minutes was spectacular. Ronaldo getting two cracks at free kick for a win and hitting the wall twice. Alexis Sanchez receiving a cross and pummeling it into the back of the net. Just great to see this happening in America.

And the GD USofA starting to give a shit about the sport.

The matches are non-stop, no commercials, pretty intense and the pride make it a really amazing sport. Not to take away from things like college football, because it's great the way it is but while we're pounding beers in a parking lot, soccer fans are singing f'ing songs in a stadium an hour plus before a match waving flags getting geeked for a match.
Yep. Minor league soccer IS the best!

Look....if the commentators were covering the Eli and a foursome of hacks played a hole like this into the wind, do you think they'd only add 16 yards to what the hole is playing like for that group?

That wouldn't change how the hole plays. The variable would be how many strokes the hackers would play vs the pros. It's still playing yardage plus wind.

Reactions: B.B.d.K.

No, they'd add 100+ of fictional yardage to account for each person's handicap.

[eyeroll]

When someone says "it's playing" 10 yards more, all they are saying is that there a 1 club wind up there...or that the green is severely elevated. What you need to do to account for that change differs for every golfer, pro or hack alike. 100 factors go into that.

Leave golf to those that haven't set the Eli Barron Single day high scoring record, K?

I hit a 4 iron from 200. Rory hits a 6 or 7. If there is a 1 club wind I'll probably hit a 3, and he a 5-6 to compensate for the shot conditions.. It Still "plays" 210 for both of us, despite our vast differences in length/ability.

:weary:

Is it an easier shot for him playing a mid iron vs. me playing the longest iron in my bag? Of course, but that doesn't change the actual yardage you dumb touch.

Last edited:
I drove by myself to Charleston with all the luggage/beach stuff while the rest of my family flew. Listened to podcasts all the way down, didn't have to talk to a soul, and now I'm drinking a beer waiting for everyone to get here. I think I've figured out vacation travel.

You're just in time to take a crack on pounding a simple fact into Chief's head as everyone else has failed to reach pay dirt.

Best of luck!

I'll admit to spending some YouTube time on Messi lately. Dude is o_O

I'm sure '73 has some guys playing in shoes made out of leaves and tree branches who are tons better, but I find it hard to believe.

I know Pele, ronaldo, etc etc etc disagree.

What I'm trying to say and it probably came out incorrectly is that if a pro is playing a hole like it is 700 because of the wind then the average guy will need to play it like it is 750+. Is that easier for everyone to understand?

Messi's wife.

ar_thumb.jpg

1809b3088924a7b9d90182c1b47fdb2f.jpg

Reactions: drxman1
Goddamnit, Chief. You're really starting to piss me off. It's the same GD yardage for everyone. The same. A yard still = a yard. Rory's yardage doesn't measure differently than my yardage. It's the same GD distance. If I play that hole 750 yards and it plays 700, I'm 50 goddamn yards past the green, same if Rory played it that way.

I just think you all are looking at it too literally. Yes, a yard = yard. But a hack is going to have to play it as a longer distance in club selection because of how the wind affects them.

Regardless of how we see it, a hack couldn't reach the green in 4 which was my original point.

As a side note - in DM's, Doc tells me he can get home in 3 shots into the wind.

700 yards in three swings isn't exactly mind bottling if you keep the ball in the fairway genius.

Ah. Now the conversation makes more sense. The new ignore format makes conversations like that hard to follow.

700 yards for a high capper in 3 shots is pretty damn unlikely for a number of reasons. Single digit % gir likelihood I'd guess.

Yes, it is unlikely I would keep 3 long shots in the fairway/hit the green.

Chief Isaac Newton was saying it was impossible because for non pros the hole plays like 800 yards.

I drove by myself to Charleston with all the luggage/beach stuff while the rest of my family flew. Listened to podcasts all the way down, didn't have to talk to a soul, and now I'm drinking a beer waiting for everyone to get here. I think I've figured out vacation travel.

Mastery. Now convince your wife that it "wasn't too bad" and the rest should be cream cheese. If she catches even the slightest, I mean the SLIGHTEST hint of how much you really enjoyed the drive she'll stomp out this well-devised scheme of yours so fast it'll make your head spin.

Cavs -1.5 now with a lot of late money on GS. I just can't see it ending tonight.

What I do like is Steph Curry O/U 5.5 3's tonight. Over!

The solo drive likely has increased appeal if your a dad. My wife generally sleeps on long trips, but I mean throw kids in the mix and I can't even imagine road trips. And now they have iPads and DVDs and shit. What must our parents have thought loading us up in the van and heading for Myrtle Beach? Gawd.

Also, as I told Bbdk- Holly Sonders is pretty much Madison Ivy. Now enjoy your US Open coverage.
Holly-Sonders-head-shot.jpg

madison%2Bivy.jpg

Last post on this:

From what I gather, the average golfer loses about 12 yards per every 140 yards in 10mph headwind. So, the avg golfer is going to lose about 55 yards over that 684. In order to get to the green it is going to take the avg golfer what would be 740 yards in perfect conditions. A hacker, even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT