ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back from a week in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons and pretty sure I'm signing up to be a park ranger from here on out so see you guys and LAW later.

If that doesn't work out I'll be karate kicking drywall starting next week if anyone wants to join in.

My family did this for 12 days and it was unreal. Spent 3 or 4 nights at different places in Yellowstone then went to a dude ranch outside of Jackson Hole in the Tetons for a few nights then spent the rest in Jackson Hole. One of my favorite vacations Ive ever been on. Its phenomenal out there.

Controversial take:

National Park vacations >>>> beach vacations(outside of Hawaii and other South Pacific locales)

The problem with bear spray/pepper spray in general is people tend to spray themselves in a rush. Now you're blind and have bear problems.

Glock 20 is actually considered a decent bear gun, but I'd probably roll with 44 Magnum.

Long talk with a retired Denali Park Ranger last summer, what was the scariest situation you ever encountered, paraphrased:

Alone, on a 7 day hike in a very remote part of a new National Forest south of Anchorage, (bears are bigger in the Southern part of the state where they feed on Salmon), encountered the largest brown bear I'd ever seen. And I was probably the first human he'd ever seen. Head the size of a large beach ball, only 10-15 feet away. We both stopped and stared each other down. I had a large caliber pistol pointed at his head. Had he come at me, I would have emptied the chambers but all it would have done is piss him off. Would have to be incredibly lucky to take him down before he ate me. They've found rifle slugs imbedded in their skulls that they lived with for years. Finally the bear decided to move on and walked away.

This guy had worked that area for decades. Small of stature, absolute badass. Stick with the spray.

This is the guy, Earthsong Lodge is their place and he runs the only dogsled team authorized to operate in Denali.
12719551_1122813867762669_5729605597928933283_o.jpg

Last edited:
I bet you could throw some firecrackers at a grizzly and that dumb animal will get lost quick.

Long talk with a retired Denali Park Ranger last summer, what was the scariest situation you ever encountered, paraphrased:

Alone, on a 7 day hike in a very remote part of a new National Forest south of Anchorage, (bears are bigger in the Southern part of the state where they feed on Salmon), encountered the largest brown bear I'd ever seen. And I was probably the first human he'd ever seen. Head the size of a large beach ball, only 10-15 feet away. We both stopped and stared each other down. I had a large caliber pistol pointed at his head. Had he come at me, I would have emptied the chambers but all it would have done is piss him off. Would have to be incredibly lucky to take him down before he ate me. They've found rifle slugs imbedded in their skulls that they lived with for years. Finally the bear decided to move on and walked away.

This guy had worked that area for decades. Small of stature, absolute badass. Stick with the spray.
COUNTER POINT: doc owns guns

I have to give my dad some credit for sticking it out with my f'ing waterhead of a stepmom. His house in up in north Georgia is in a little mountain development. There are black bears all over the place. We're having dinner and my stepmom got carried away before we even sat down to eat. She fixed plates of spaghetti for 5 but there were 6 of us. The rest of us are standing at the back of the house watching a momma black bear and her 3 cubs climbing the tree in their backyard before sitting down to eat. Out of nowhere, all 4 bears run towards the deck stairs so naturally, we all back the f up and figure that's enough of that. As it turns out, this f'ing waterhead was dumping spaghetti from over the railing.

The best part is, she dumped my dad's dinner over the railing for some bears and once my dad realized what happened, we all would have been fine to cover for him had he pushed hes stupid bitch of a wife over the railing. It's rare I've seen him that upset/dejected. I felt bad until I realized he actually put a ring on her finger.

The problem with bear spray/pepper spray in general is people tend to spray themselves in a rush. Now you're blind and have bear problems.
So people won't get nervous and shoot themselves in the face with a glock?

Spraying yourself in the face with pepper spray and getting mauled by a bear is natural selection.

Reactions: LadyCat92
So people won't get nervous and shoot themselves in the face with a glock?

Spraying yourself in the face with pepper spray and getting mauled by a bear is natural selection.
A glock round won't get caught in the wind and carry it off target or spray back in your face.

A glock would also be a moronic choice for bear protection. Too small a projectile and too complicated to chamber a round under durress unless you carry it hot, which would also be moronic when walking through the woods.

People with this simplistic of am understanding of firearms are definitely better off with the bear spray though.

Got caught between a decent sized black bear and her cubs on a trail in the Tetons. Luckily she decided to get off the trail, or the two idiot girls with bear mace who didn't stop walking towards it when we told them about their impending mauling a mere 30 feet around a bend would have been on the news

Kind of the same theory with sharks. You don't have to be the fastest swimmer, just not the slowest.

Per your article in reference to the glock "there are better choices for those who live in areas with lots of grizzly or brown bears"

Glock 20 is actually considered a decent bear gun, but I'd probably roll with 44 Magnum.

"Decent" and "there are better choices" are not quite the same thing as "completely moronic."

But at least there are some of us willing to protect the women and children... and Anth.

Reactions: 80 Proof
My theory on firearms really boils down to a line in Lonesome Dove by Gus McRae, "It's better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it". I was also taught from a very young age to respect them, I remember getting spanked for pointing a toy gun at someone. Dad didn't mess around with that.

Give me a short barreled shotgun with slugs. Much easier to shoot a long gun and much more room for error.
Good luck to Anth and chad with their bear spray though. My want to add a rape whistle to your arsenal also.:rolleyes:
Your broke ass back can be there as well. Another, albeit not very appetizing, option that I can out run is awesome. Also after your inaccurate statements about local wildlife in not sure you're qualified for this conversation. We'll call on you when we talk about "hunting" or for you -> animals corralled into a game reserve so yuppies with Italian shotguns and yetis can buy trophies.

- In & Out is only in CA, TX and Vegas I believe. Restaurants have become something I pay a lot closer attention to now that I'm bidding them commercially.

- How can anyone dependent on good summer weather to make a living not love this weather? Anything to do with construction and you are busier than a dog with two peckers right now. Unreal.

- Every UL fan I saw today is just an excuse making machine trying to compare their baseball failures as a clear fav to UK's failures in basketball. You do not even have to provoke them and they use UK as a barometer of it being ok.

- Cavs roll tonight I'm afraid, and they might even get this thing to a game 7.

- For the first 3 weeks of every summer I try to convince myself to buy a pool. Just might plan ahead and buy one at the end of summer so that next year I'm good to go.

At least if you put in a pool, should add value to your home. Unlike a floating piece of fiberglass that is just waiting for the sky to fall and cost you thousands and thousands of dollars and much mental anguish.

It's annoying how the local news is whitewashing the murder of this Alex Johnson guy. They keep referring to him as a "UK chef" who was beaten to death by his friends. That's technically true, but he was also a drug dealer who was beaten to death by his criminal associates who then robbed him of $40,000 cash and 26 pounds of pot. How about a little context for the public? I think it makes a difference that this guy was in over his head in the drug trade and not just some random kid beaten to death on the street. Seems irresponsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT