ADVERTISEMENT

Great Bobby Knight clip on Michael Jordan

Ha, that was great. Didn't realize he was such a good public speaker. I also love the quote about when the Trailblazers GM called Knight for advice about the draft, and Knight said you have to take Jordan because he is already the best player I have ever seen. The GM responded that they already had a star SG in Clyde Drexler, and that what they really needed was a Center. Knight responded: "Then play Jordan at center."

Ha, that was great. Didn't realize he was such a good public speaker. I also love the quote about when the Trailblazers GM called Knight for advice about the draft, and Knight said you have to take Jordan because he is already the best player I have ever seen. The GM responded that they already had a star SG in Clyde Drexler, and that what they really needed was a Center. Knight responded: "Then play Jordan at center."
I've seen him at a number of coaches clinics. He was an unbelievably good public speaker. He could command the attention of the entire room in a split second. The man had presence, and that can't be taught. He was extremely intelligent and could speak on a number of topics. But man, when he talked basketball and the room was full of basketball coaches...everyone was dialed in on what he was saying.

That story of the Blazers GM is a great one. And accurate. Those Blazers teams were good. Think how good they'd have been with MJ instead of Bowie. Oof.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
A great coach and a great leader of men. If he could have better controlled his temper and kept the same fire in his belly, he would have been thought of as arguably one of the top 3 coaches to every walk the basketball sidelines. It's unfortunate that what most people remember are the chair throw and chokes.

“Glass, China, and Reputation, are easily cracked, and never well mended.” - Ben Franklin

A great coach and a great leader of men. If he could have better controlled his temper and kept the same fire in his belly, he would have been thought of as arguably one of the top 3 coaches to every walk the basketball sidelines. It's unfortunate that what most people remember are the chair throw and chokes.

“Glass, China, and Reputation, are easily cracked, and never well mended.” - Ben Franklin

A month ago I was hired to clean up a mess left by an abusive leader of a non-profit organization. Abuse on any level is so destructive that lives are impacted for years to come.

I agree that Knight was a great coach but he was a horrible leader of men. He lacked self-control and that was his undoing and why he will be remembered for the chair throw (which really wasn't that big of a deal) and the chokes and the way he treated people. I regret that Lynn Nance didn't get a chance to knock him into the second row for the head slap to Joe B.

Reactions: Dirt Sammich
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT