ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Padgett thinks reed returns

I honestly think those who are absolute about reed leaving did not grow up big blue at a high level. I don’t mean just watching family cheer on and eventually coming to love UK but I’m talking about dies hards since they could talk. About half of the blue blooded uk fans would cut off their left nut to play for the uk men’s team. Reed isn’t leaving after this season or you would have heard by now ans tonight is senior night. and as I stated many time I think he stays 3. This isn’t the typical cal oad narrative even if he’s a lotto guaranteed. You guys think tonight is reeds last game in rupp don’t understand the Shepard family.

I honestly think those who are absolute about reed leaving did not grow up big blue at a high level. I don’t mean just watching family cheer on and eventually coming to love UK but I’m talking about dies hards since they could talk. About half of the blue blooded uk fans would cut off their left nut to play for the uk men’s team. Reed isn’t leaving after this season or you would have heard by now ans tonight is senior night. and as I stated many time I think he stays 3. This isn’t the typical cal oad narrative even if he’s a lotto guaranteed. You guys think tonight is reeds last game in rupp don’t understand the Shepard family.

Someone suggests Reed isn’t gonna pass up 40 million dollars and suddenly they aren’t as die hard of a fan as you and others??? 😂

Reactions: Zissou87
Someone suggests Reed isn’t gonna pass up 40 million dollars and suddenly they aren’t as die hard of a fan as you and others??? 😂
That’s right. It’s not passing up anything. It’s delaying it while being paid to be a kid and go to school, play basketball and become a state legend. You’re suggesting he pass up being a legend in order to get paid a year or two sooner? That imo makes less sense especially for people who value experience over money. You go after one year let’s say your top 5. You’re likely gonna get picked up by a perennial bottom dweller. That means pressure day 1. That’s not fun that’s a job. Playing for the pride of your state on the other hand. Carrying your home state with family and friends. No I reject the assertion that you give up the chance to be a legend to start getting paid a year sooner especially when you can clean up in college now. Become a legend in Ky then go and become an nba allstar. You do that and your 40m will look like chump change. There’s a much bigger picture here

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua
That’s right. It’s not passing up anything. It’s delaying it while being paid to be a kid and go to school, play basketball and become a state legend. You’re suggesting he pass up being a legend in order to get paid a year or two sooner? That imo makes less sense especially for people who value experience over money. You go after one year let’s say your top 5. You’re likely gonna get picked up by a perennial bottom dweller. That means pressure day 1. That’s not fun that’s a job. Playing for the pride of your state on the other hand. Carrying your home state with family and friends. No I reject the assertion that you give up the chance to be a legend to start getting paid a year sooner especially when you can clean up in college now. Become a legend in Ky then go and become an nba allstar. You do that and your 40m will look like chump change. There’s a much bigger picture here

You’ll see is all I know to say.

I hope he stays all 4 years and wins us a natty or 2 and I hope I have to come back here and apologize to you.

Reactions: Ky-troutbum
So the NBA money disappears if he comes back?

I get the idea of being "one year closer to that second contract," but I also get the idea of being physically and emotionally ready to handle the NBA grind. Maybe Sheppard simply wants to come back to be a hero again.
I hope that's true, but have you seen a top 10 pick come back, like ever? He's gone, and believe me I don't like it.

He would still get his. No defense is going to be able to focus on him to the point of his numbers falling. You don't think defenses are focusing on him now? His numbers will go up with a sophomore year make no doubt about it.
There is a huge risk other than injury by coming back. If CCC doesn't surround Reed with enough talent to prevent opponents from exclusively focusing on him defensively, his number could plummet as well as his draft status.

Reactions: NociHTTP
The most surprising thing to me would be if he actually is drafted Top 10, let alone Top 5 like he's projected now.

It's mid-season projects. Not the combine. Not the live events. Not even the end of the season.

Even if it's a "weak" draft, some of these GMs could absolutely lose their job by drafting - in the lottery - a 6'2 white kid with just 1 year of college tape.

I think Reed ABSOLUTELY is an NBA player - no doubt in my mind. And I'm not saying he's 1-and-done. But I'd be pretty surprised if these current projections turn out to be realistic
I don’t know how many times this needs to be said, but I guess it needs to be said at least once more: if you go back and look at February and March draft projections in previous years, they nail down lottery picks with great accuracy. This is not to say that they get the exact players in the exact spots, but it is to say that they know who will go in the lottery and who will not.

This idea that Reed’s size and athleticism is somehow an unknown issue that will lead to him falling in the draft in a few months is absurd. They know his weaknesses and limitations already. They know that the university of Kentucky measures guys with their shoes on. Nothing that happens at a draft combine or private workouts is going to surprise them.

The false hope that exists on this board regarding Reed’s return is astounding. If he comes back for a second year, it will have nothing to do with him falling down draft boards. It will rather have to do with a personal choice being made by he and his family.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I would LOVE to have Reed for more than one year, but if he is still top 5 projected, he’s gone and with good reason. NIL will never come close to the $15-$20 million he can get in in the NBA and if he came back, there is a chance he drops based on a better draft class or worse, injury.

@TheDude73

It Aint Over Until Its Over Coy Melancon GIF - It Aint Over Until Its Over Coy Melancon Ultimate Cowboy Showdown GIFs
I hope I’m wrong but man it will be a shock if a kid turns down top 5 NBA for Cal and UK. Mainly the Cal part.

He would still get his. No defense is going to be able to focus on him to the point of his numbers falling. You don't think defenses are focusing on him now? His numbers will go up with a sophomore year make no doubt about it.
I like Reed too, but he isn't superman. If he was the only person on the team that a defense has to stop, they could stop him.

I don’t know how many times this needs to be said, but I guess it needs to be said at least once more: if you go back and look at February and March draft projections in previous years, they nail down lottery picks with great accuracy. This is not to say that they get the exact players in the exact spots, but it is to say that they know who will go in the lottery and who will not.

This idea that Reed’s size and athleticism is somehow an unknown issue that will lead to him falling in the draft in a few months is absurd. They know his weaknesses and limitations already. They know that the university of Kentucky measures guys with their shoes on. Nothing that happens at a draft combine or private workouts is going to surprise them.

The false hope that exists on this board regarding Reed’s return is astounding. If he comes back for a second year, it will have nothing to do with him falling down draft boards. It will rather have to do with a personal choice being made by he and his family.
Here’s the thing. We’ve had hometown boys feldhaus, pelphry cam mills and many others who balled out beyond their abilities because the played for Kentucky. What does reed look like in the workouts? I’m not discounting he is a great player. But I think you strip that Kentucky off the front and you’re talking 20 draft spots maybe more. No one considers that. Giovanni or whoever are doing the mocks they don’t consider this either. He’s a total outlier where you can’t really find a comp for him. I thought going into the year reed was vastly underrated. Now? I think he’s being vastly overrated.

Here’s the thing. We’ve had hometown boys feldhaus, pelphry cam mills and many others who balled out beyond their abilities because the played for Kentucky. What does reed look like in the workouts? I’m not discounting he is a great player. But I think you strip that Kentucky off the front and you’re talking 20 draft spots maybe more. No one considers that. Giovanni or whoever are doing the mocks they don’t consider this either. He’s a total outlier where you can’t really find a comp for him. I thought going into the year reed was vastly underrated. Now? I think he’s being vastly overrated.
The NBA loves analytics. No one comes close to having the advanced stats that Reed has. Workouts aren’t going to change that. The pre-draft workouts can help some players who might’ve flown under the radar to show off other-worldly athleticism and move up the draft. But they’re not going to cause a guy like Reed - whose performance over the course of the season is the reason he’s projected so high - to drop.

Quite simply both the stats and the eye test confirm that if you put this guy on the court, he is going to help you win games. And that is what the NBA is looking for.

Reactions: ala_kat2
It’s in the Atlantic I don’t have a link. Anyone?

Pretty much what I keep reiterating legendary status over quick money.

I’m not saying he’ll stay four years, but I would still be shocked if his career lasted one,” said Padgett. “If there are weaknesses they think he can work on and improve in a year, I could see him staying another year. They’re going to look at this differently than most, for one because the NIL is probably crazy, but also because education is huge to them and he’d be another year closer to a degree, where he could then come back and finish it in the summers. And, to be honest with you, there’s an unknown factor.

“They are such a close, close, close family, and Reed has lived his whole life in London and Lexington, so I don’t know that there’s a real rush to get out of there unless you’re 100 percent ready. Plus, if he comes back, he’s a rock star. He’s Michael Jordan and Muhammad Ali. In that state, he would be that.”
I think Reed returns also. Lots of good reasons to do that, and despite what is projected (I never trust the media "experts"), he could be a top fifteen pick and I doubt top five. He's a fabulous talent, but does have some things to clean up. Given all of the dynamics, Reed will come back for another year at Kentucky, and I certainly think he's turned into one of the most important "recruits" for next year.

Sheppard might stay. Sheppard might go.

Those who are talking in absolutes (he will definitely leave/he will definitely stay) are the silly ones, regardless of which way it turns out.

At this point, it is undecided and no one including the Sheppards know what he will do.

To say he will go or stay is just a guess and all the blustering on either side of the debate is wasted breath really.

I am hoping he stays. Is that silly? Maybe. But I would hope every UK fan is hoping he returns. Wouldn’t it be silly not to hope for that?
This ^ . Sounds EXACTLY like what Jeff said, for the most part . Just add in , “it will be Reeds decision, we won’t try and influence him . Just pray his decision makes him happy next year and long term “.

This ^ . Sounds EXACTLY like what Jeff said, for the most part . Just add in , “it will be Reeds decision, we won’t try and influence him . Just pray his decision makes him happy next year and long term “.
You have a link?

It would be great! The entire state would be excited….., but if he is a projected top 5 pick in the draft he has to go to NBA, right? Outside top 10 then you definitely have a decision to make.

Reed has exploded that’s for sure!

You aren’t Reed, so what you would do has no relevance here. And for the record, no, I wouldn’t leave if I were Reed, and if I were Jeff I wouldn’t want him to. He’s not going to end up with an injury so bad his career is gone. This is the most laughable nonsense the money grab crowd comes up with. You couldn’t probably name one person that’s even happened to.

Anyone that knows anything about the Sheppards understand they love Kentucky and they raise their kids better than “ get the money”. Jeff loves UK probably more than any player who’s ever played here. Have you read his book? That family loves this, and they even told UK to limit crowd control because “these are our people”.

Reed is set to make historical NIL money and he actually could work on a few things before going, and I bet you Jeff thinks just this way.

Some of you have to accept the fact that Calipari’s”money grab as fast as you can” does not apply to everyone and certainly doesn’t apply to the Sheppards. Reed might be the most popular guy in the entire state, it holds a ton of weight.

I’m much more concerned that Calipari doesn’t want him back than I am he leaves after 1 year. This isn’t touched on enough, but I wouldn’t doubt he’d love to send Reed pro after 1 year so he doesn’t have to deal with it, and to “show the bennies” that Reed is no different than any other player.
Reed (and his dad) are more popular than Cal is right now. Cal better hope that they don't "send him off". Reed is one of those players that is a PERFECT fit at Kentucky, he loves Kentucky, is fundamentally sound, plays for the team and is a fan over being a player. You can tell the radio guys are a little more excited when Reed is in the game. He is the greatest example of a Kentucky Wildcat player. He's in the same class as Jack Givens, Jimmy Dan Conner, Ralph Beard, Richie Farmer, Feldhaus, Pelphry, Rondo, Mike Pratt and Reggie Hanson who were Wildcat fans before being Wildcat players and being from Kentucky. It's extra special for them.

• Love

So what kind of bet do you want to make? Reed does NOT go Top 5. What kind of room for error are you expecting when you say "they nail down lottery picks with great accuracy"? So would you like to make a bet whether Reed goes in the lottery or not?

Quick look at last year's March mock-draft compared to actual draft, 4 players "mocked" in the lottery ended up NOT going in the lottery. So you can take that for what you want.

I don't think you follow the combine and draft process that closely if you don't think the combine and private workouts don't matter?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT