ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer....the sequel

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. 7.6% ABV. This beer will put lead in your doggone pencil, by hell. Best Guinness yet outside the Dublin brewery.

620c00deaca188e3fbd88aebb2b00e79_320x320.jpeg
I love it too. I thought the last anniversary beer was the best

One of my local spots, a cozy winebar with great staff and wood-fire pizza, made a catastrophic mistake by charging $14-18 for whiskey drinks in the last few months.

They've forced my hand into drinking beer and clear-liquor drinks, respectively at ~$6 and ~$10. Not sure why dark liquors are through the roof.

They don't have much in the way of beer, 4 taps and some bottled options, but had myself one of these. Granted it's out of season, but really pretty damn good:

goldenipa-2017.png

Also, I've come to realize that the 60+ generation are the pickiest damn beer drinkers. It's a struggle finding anything my Dad will like. But he's settled in on Brooklyn Lager. He hates sour beers, even modest IPAs, Belgium-style, Stouts (unless it's Guinness), anything remotely hoppy.

Any recommendations? It's basically lagers Eastern European type beers.

Reactions: Willy4UK
Also, I've come to realize that the 60+ generation are the pickiest damn beer drinkers. It's a struggle finding anything my Dad will like. But he's settled in on Brooklyn Lager. He hates sour beers, even modest IPAs, Belgium-style, Stouts (unless it's Guinness), anything remotely hoppy.

Any recommendations? It's basically lagers Eastern European type beers.

Try Sierra Nevada's. KellerWiess .. best hefewiesen I've found . Most Hef's will be totally hop free . Or many wheat ale's are non hoppy . Weihensthaner is another . Sam Adams Harvest Hefe .

Couldnt find the other thread.

Recently had Duvel Belgian Gold. Not bad. Didn't have the punch of flavor I was expecting but it was good for a lighter beer. 95 on BA

Ommegang 3-Philsophers is really good. It's almost a wine/beer blend. Certainly can't drink much of it but the flavor is really good. The cherry flavor isn't overpowering. 92 on BA.

Finally my favorite of the 3 is Ayinger Hefeweizen. Wonderful German Hefe. 92 on BA. I think I'm going to work my way through Ayinger's offerings. They've got a doppelbock which has won medals...can't wait to try that.
I have some Ayinger doppelbock right now and its great- super smooth, not bitter at all.

Cracking open a Leffe- a brune Belgian ale.

Sweeter than I normally prefer, 6'5% alcohol.

Solid and smooth but a tad sweet.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Everyone's favorite Christmas ale or winter warmer
Florida Winter Boots by Ocean Sun Brewing of Orlando, FL. 10% ABV. Enjoyed one with brother @Willy4UK on 01/16/17. Serious kick ass. Actual photo below.

85264c11d62f78c2a8f74316641051a1_640x640.jpg

Honorable mention: Anchor Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Harpoon Winter Warmer and Rahr & Sons Winter Warmer.

Shiner Holiday Cheer. New label. As good as always.

04a173b7d46534111f90c5187083b22e_320x320.jpeg

I tried this one and it was not what I expected (should have read the tiny print on the label first). This "Holiday Beer" is flavored with PEACHES and PECANS. They should have better named it Georgia Cracker. I couldn't finish one. I much prefer Great Lakes Brewing's, Sierra Nevada's, Bell's, Samuel Smith's or Schlafly's versions which are malty and flavored with spices that you would expect at Christmas time. I'll try the Harpoon that you suggested, that one sounds like a winner.

Last edited:
Peaches and pecan in beer sounds terrible. Pecans alone in maybe a porter would be OK.
This beer is a dunkelweizen or dark wheat. Wheats are notable for including some fruity flavors, especially banana. Neither ingredient appears overwhelming in the traditional sense, and actually compliments the style.

Find a 12-oz and give it a sample. You'll be surprised.

I'm jealous of all these beers. I can't find much besides the big beer companies.

What I've had in the past 2 months that i've really enjoyed:
SN Sidecar (Beats the hell outta Blue Moon)
SN Celebration & W6 Christmas Ale (can't decide which is better, probably beat out SA Winter Lager which was my previous fav)
West Sixth IPA (just a good solid IPA from Lexington)
SN Hop Hunter & Torpedo (again I can't pick, both are very good)
Elysian IPA (not my fav, but not bad. Just found out it's owned by big beer)
SN Nooner (good, for a Pils)
SA 20 lbs of pumpkin (OMG, so good. I couldn't drink Blue Moon's Pumpkin Ale, so i was shocked at how good Sam's was)
SA Octoberfest (very good)
SN Oktoberfest (better than SA again, maybe it's the "K"? more authentic?)

Recents...

3 Floyd’s Lazer Snake ~ love that these are now in 6 packs

Bearded Iris Homestyle ~ awesome beer..saw a ton when in store when I bought but sadly haven’t found any since

W6 Pennyrile ~ probably my favorite of their offerings

Lagunitas Born Yesterday ~ phenomenal. Crushed 5 easily during KU game before I thought to check label and realized they were 7.2...so smooth

omnipollo nebuchadnezzar ~ got this one on deck. Never heard of it or seen it, but can looked cool so had to buy. Haha.

Three Floyds distribution is definitely getting heavy in Louisville, which is great because they are one of my favorites.

Lazer Snake all over the place
Zombie Dust is actually appearing on shelves fairly regularly
Space Station Middle Finger - First time trying it this week - Excellent (may like it better than Zombie Dust)

Three Floyds distribution is definitely getting heavy in Louisville, which is great because they are one of my favorites.

Lazer Snake all over the place
Zombie Dust is actually appearing on shelves fairly regularly
Space Station Middle Finger - First time trying it this week - Excellent (may like it better than Zombie Dust)
Are they still marking them up in price? Zombie Dust was going for $15 a 6 last time I saw it. I love it but rather have Bell's Two Hearted at $9-$9.50.

^ I have never heard of Glogg but those are certainly flavors that I associate with Christmas brews.

"Brewed in the tradition of Swedish Glogg. Ale brewed with Figs, Orange peels, and spices. 2 varieties of hops and 4 types of malts."

Liquor barn is having a Black Friday beer sale. They have lots of beers that I haven’t heard of mostly due to my inexperience. But here’s a list:

Goose island bourbon county stout 2017
Goose island bourbon county coffee stout
Goose island north woods stout
Goose island bourbon county barley wine
Goose island knob creek reserve stout
Goose island knob creek selection single barrel
Sam Adams utopia ($200+ beer)
Bells black note stout (100 rating on rate beer)
Ommegang bourbon barrel three philosophers

So, if you’ve heard of any of these, they’ll have them. It’s a limit to one of each beer per person. Just thought I’d add this list I’m case they were sought after commodities.

ADVERTISEMENT