ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer....the sequel

Trying an Oarsman late this afternoon.

How was the beer yesterday?

That Oarsman is nice. I really like the lawnmower beer too. You can crush those. My dad actually liked it.. And he's old guard "none of that IPA shit you kids drink".. The victory was pretty meh. Didn't get to try the watermelon goes yet.. Lots of bourbon shots last night.

The Chatham is exactly as described.. A session-ish IPA.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Roadtrip today to Nashville to stock up on Bearded Iris brews. Ended up with 4 different beers in 4 packs - Homestyle IPA, Chasing Rainbows 2 IPA, Bottle Rocket dry hopped kolsch, and Double dry hopped Chief of Chiefs DIPA - and a crowler of Double Homestyle. They do some really amazing IPA things there.

Edited to add the descriptions for the beers. the Chief of Chiefs was unreal - I could have huffed the hop aroma of it all afternoon.

X0bLWjs.jpg

PqUbEMj.png

Last edited:
That Oarsman is nice. I really like the lawnmower beer too. You can crush those. My dad actually liked it.. And he's old guard "none of that IPA shit you kids drink".. The victory was pretty meh. Didn't get to try the watermelon goes yet.. Lots of bourbon shots last night.

The Chatham is exactly as described.. A session-ish IPA.
Good deal.

Tried Oarsman today. Nice, easy drinking and well-balanced.

Reactions: Willy4UK
Just had the Dogfish world wide stout vanilla aged in oak barrels. 17% abv. Whew. Fantastic boozy ass beer

Which one? Oak aged vanilla or the regular one? They both are great. I have world wide stout that I've been saving since february. Gonna drink it two years from now
Regular. Picked it up at Pappy's in Ewing, VA while visiting back home last November. We can get some Dogfish Head beers out here, but not the great stuff like WW Stout.

@CastleRubric and @Robcatt24 : Have you guys heard that Pappy's closed, but will reopen under new management on August 18th? Just found out on Facebook. Shocker.

Regular. Picked it up at Pappy's in Ewing, VA while visiting back home last November. We can get some Dogfish Head beers out here, but not the great stuff like WW Stout.

@CastleRubric and @Robcatt24 : Have you guys heard that Pappy's closed, but will reopen under new management on August 18th? Just found out on Facebook. Shocker.

Yeah, Pappy's closed down.

Hadn't heard anything about new management.

Sad day when I heard it was closing down. Made many a beer run up there.

Also hearing talk that the Oasis sold out. To McDonalds.

They are in the process of building a strip mall right next to the Oasis.

Afraid those rumors of a McDonalds maybe true.

Also hearing talk that the Oasis sold out. To McDonalds.

They are in the process of building a strip mall right next to the Oasis.

Afraid those rumors of a McDonalds maybe true.

eek.gif

Damn. My whole world back there is changing. For years, Hardee's was the only fast food place in Harrogate.

Anyway, hopefully Pappy's offers a good selection. Boone's BP is okay and they sometimes stock decent beers.

Tripped me the eff out. They've also been around since the 70s, as I recall. At any rate, new owners posted on Facebook:

"Yes! We're going to slowly add the same products previously sold! Please stop by!"

Aside from Coal Town out in Cumberland, Pappy's was the sole "oasis" for good German beer back during the 80s.

It's a ritual when I go home - simple and modest --- but it's home

Do you remember that dive of a honey tonk up the road called Jay and Anns or something like that??

I played guitar up there one night when I was about 17 y/o with James Helton and another dude named Larry that had a standing gig there

It was the closest thing to playing a gig behind chicken wire that I'd ever done

I think it's gone

Used to play in the Sundowner when in HS too

Not a LOT -- but enough to learn that if I could get up and play there -- and then have someone tell me to STAY ON for more songs (that weren't rehearsed) --- then I could be ok playing in a lot of places

Funny how that works isn't it?
It's not like those were big venues that matter to anyone outside of that area

But -- we DO have a history of strong musicians up there -
and people that will give you honest feedback if you suck

Speaking of SUCK
The new PAPPYS better not.....

and they CANT CHANGE THE F'ING NAME

It's a ritual when I go home - simple and modest --- but it's home

Do you remember that dive of a honey tonk up the road called Jay and Anns or something like that??

I played guitar up there one night when I was about 17 y/o with James Helton and another dude named Larry that had a standing gig there

It was the closest thing to playing a gig behind chicken wire that I'd ever done

I think it's gone

Used to play in the Sundowner when in HS too

Not a LOT -- but enough to learn that if I could get up and play there -- and then have someone tell me to STAY ON for more songs (that weren't rehearsed) --- then I could be ok playing in a lot of places

Funny how that works isn't it?
It's not like those were big venues that matter to anyone outside of that area

But -- we DO have a history of strong musicians up there -
and people that will give you honest feedback if you suck

Speaking of SUCK
The new PAPPYS better not.....

and they CANT CHANGE THE F'ING NAME
Larry Ellis, my ex brother in-law from marriage #2. Small world, bro. Of course, out there in those mountains, everybody knows everybody. His son, Chris, tried to hit it big in Nashville. No luck.

Jay and Ann's: John Ellis, another ex brother in-law, got busted by Claiborne County cops after leaving Jay and Ann's while driving my old '67 Chevy step-side pickup. Wild place back in the day. Great memories.

Larry Ellis, my ex brother in-law from marriage #2. Small world, bro. Of course, out there in those mountains, everybody knows everybody. His son, Chris, tried to hit it big in Nashville. No luck.

Jay and Ann's: John Ellis, another ex brother in-law, got busted by Claiborne County cops after leaving Jay and Ann's while driving my old '67 Chevy step-side pickup. Wild place back in the day. Great memories.

OMG!!

They had a trailer out in the middle of no where
James told me one day that "Larrys got a CRAZY CHECK" -- and he's "REAL GOOD" on guitar

I neve saw the check - but we brought Bush Beer (since we had some money that day - we figured we'd spurge) ..... and we had an open jam with Larry, James, Donnie Farrell on drums (Eric Branham might have been there) -- and me

I don't remember all of it - but I thought we sounded better than anyone up there at the time

Chris was a big ol' boy wasn't he -- kinda fat?

I remember both really well and they were as nice to me as could be
When we hit Jay and Anns - Larry played my new Strat and made it sound like the way I WANTED it to sound

He was better than me then - no doubt

Is he still around?

Are you in lex? I'd love to trade for some of these beers if you are...
Roadtrip today to Nashville to stock up on Bearded Iris brews. Ended up with 4 different beers in 4 packs - Homestyle IPA, Chasing Rainbows 2 IPA, Bottle Rocket dry hopped kolsch, and Double dry hopped Chief of Chiefs DIPA - and a crowler of Double Homestyle. They do some really amazing IPA things there.

Edited to add the descriptions for the beers. the Chief of Chiefs was unreal - I could have huffed the hop aroma of it all afternoon.

X0bLWjs.jpg

PqUbEMj.png

OMG!!

They had a trailer out in the middle of no where
James told me one day that "Larrys got a CRAZY CHECK" -- and he's "REAL GOOD" on guitar

I neve saw the check - but we brought Bush Beer (since we had some money that day - we figured we'd spurge) ..... and we had an open jam with Larry, James, Donnie Farrell on drums (Eric Branham might have been there) -- and me

I don't remember all of it - but I thought we sounded better than anyone up there at the time

Chris was a big ol' boy wasn't he -- kinda fat?

I remember both really well and they were as nice to me as could be
When we hit Jay and Anns - Larry played my new Strat and made it sound like the way I WANTED it to sound

He was better than me then - no doubt

Is he still around?
Yes about Chris. Now works for the post office.

Larry can still rock it. Talked to him last week. I'll see him in November, unless I take a detour back to Germany.

Yes about Chris. Now works for the post office.

Larry can still rock it. Talked to him last week. I'll see him in November, unless I take a detour back to Germany.

I was planning to come back in around then as well but we're having a house built out here that will prob be done in Nov-Dec (wait and see mode now)

Larry probably wouldn't remember me - I think we hung out and played music with that small circle 2 or 3 times

I was planning to come back in around then as well but we're having a house built out here that will prob be done in Nov-Dec (wait and see mode now)

Larry probably wouldn't remember me - I think we hung out and played music with that small circle 2 or 3 times
Good luck on the house. Larry may remember you. Couple years ago, Charles Daughtery brought your name up.

That I can't fault. I just hate how quickly Sam Adams puts their beers out. I get Cold Snap in what feels like February,, when there's still blizzards coming down.

Blank Slate Brewery closed this week. :welp

They had just tripled capacity last year and started canning. Maybe the top is here. smh

Headed to Arnold's after work to try what's left.

Victory Storm King (cask). 9.1%. Super boozy. Very raw. Nearly a drain-pour. Gave it 2 stars on Untappd and that rating was a gift. I know Victory brews better. Probably storage. Cheap ($5.50). I now know why.

042ac7c9ec1b430afe434f0e3037702b_320x320.jpg

Real Peel IPA from Avery. Says it's brewed with tangerine peel, but I don't think I can tell. Decent enough. 3.75/5

I haven't had a bad beer from Avery. Liliko'i, Joe's Pils, El Gose.

That Out of Bounds Stout looks good, too! But.. Maybe because there's skiers on it

ADVERTISEMENT