ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer....the sequel

Have to go to a family baptism, and was just informed that it's potluck and I have to bring beer. For myself, you ask? Yeah, no problem.. kind of lame but I'm used to buying a case and crushi... wait.. I have to buy beer for the ENTIRE DAMN EVENT?

I'm past being annoyed at how big of a free-loading stunt that is.. next order of business: What's the absolute shittiest beer I can buy? Go.

Reactions: Willy4UK
Have to go to a family baptism, and was just informed that it's potluck and I have to bring beer. For myself, you ask? Yeah, no problem.. kind of lame but I'm used to buying a case and crushi... wait.. I have to buy beer for the ENTIRE DAMN EVENT?

I'm past being annoyed at how big of a free-loading stunt that is.. next order of business: What's the absolute shittiest beer I can buy? Go.

Big Flats- Walgreens

No one wants to hear about your good beer. Topic at hand is giving me shitty beer to give to unscrupulous family members..

Sheesh.. The nerve of some people..

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Speaking of shitty beer, the New Belgium collaborations discussed ITT earlier mostly suck. The Hoppy Ale was pretty good, the rest are just not good at all

So disappointed

Speaking of shitty beer, the New Belgium collaborations discussed ITT earlier mostly suck. The Hoppy Ale was pretty good, the rest are just not good at all

So disappointed

Noticed your unhappiness with them on untappd. They must be really bad.

My choice for worst would be Leinenkugel Summer Shandy. You can either buy it by that name or take a High Life and put some lemonade kool-aid powder in it. I swear that's exactly what it tastes like. Be prepared to haul it back home or donate it to desperate winos.

Noticed your unhappiness with them on untappd. They must be really bad.
Three of them were spectacularly bland, one was downright bad, and one was above average. Just really couldn't believe how bland the wild ale and sour apple ale were. Like, why didn't they go balls to the wall with them?

If you're in Lexington and are looking for something different, I can't recommend the radler from Blue Stallion highly enough. Really like it for a change of pace.

Three of them were spectacularly bland, one was downright bad, and one was above average. Just really couldn't believe how bland the wild ale and sour apple ale were. Like, why didn't they go balls to the wall with them?

I thought they were ok, but you're more of a sour connoisseur than me. I wouldn't know a good sour if one flat out told me it was good.

If you're in Louisville, just skip the rest of the breweries here and go directly to Monnik Beer Company. Its the Louisville location of The Beer Engine from Danville, and IMO, it is the best in the city and they keep destroying every one of my "I hate this kind of beer" stereotypes.

Not a fan of Saisons, but their Eagle Claw is one I will order over and over. Not a fan of anything using Brettanomyces yeast, but their Spacekataz (collaboration with Ethereal, or so I overheard the bartender tell someone else) farmhouse IPA is great. Their IPA, my go to style, is one of the best I have had from any Kentucky brewery.

I've had at least a dozen of their brews since they opened, and not a single one has been bad. Excellent food too.

Third Turn in JTown is starting to ramp up their brewing as well, and they are doing good things. The pub is pretty cool to visit too - its in an old church built in 1878, and they left all the original woodwork and stained glass in place. 20 taps, 3-4 of theirs, and the rest are a constantly rotating mix of locals and other craft beers. Smaller brewing system, so the house brews are always changing.

If you're in Louisville, just skip the rest of the breweries here and go directly to Monnik Beer Company. Its the Louisville location of The Beer Engine from Danville, and IMO, it is the best in the city and they keep destroying every one of my "I hate this kind of beer" stereotypes.

Not a fan of Saisons, but their Eagle Claw is one I will order over and over. Not a fan of anything using Brettanomyces yeast, but their Spacekataz (collaboration with Ethereal, or so I overheard the bartender tell someone else) farmhouse IPA is great. Their IPA, my go to style, is one of the best I have had from any Kentucky brewery.

I've had at least a dozen of their brews since they opened, and not a single one has been bad. Excellent food too.

Third Turn in JTown is starting to ramp up their brewing as well, and they are doing good things. The pub is pretty cool to visit too - its in an old church built in 1878, and they left all the original woodwork and stained glass in place. 20 taps, 3-4 of theirs, and the rest are a constantly rotating mix of locals and other craft beers. Smaller brewing system, so the house brews are always changing.
Hitting it first weekend December. If bad, then I'll let ya know.

Hitting it first weekend December. If bad, then I'll let ya know.

Sounds fair to me.

Great Flood Brewing in the Highlands is another solid choice. They do some good brews and are in the process of opening a production brewery to expand their capacity and start canning. Definitely worth adding to your list if it isn't on there already.

BrewDog Introduces Infamous 55% ABV Beer, The End Of History, To U.S. Market - Report.

Love the bottle. It appears BrewDog will soon open a brewery in Ohio.

brew-dog-craft-beer-higher-gravity-end-of-history.jpg

OK, so I am trying to grab a different Oktoberfest 6 pack when I grab one and try different ones on draft out at restaurants to rank the Oktoberfests this year. I will add in Sam Adams since it is the one everyone has had so you know where sea level is.

1. Knob Knee at the New Albanian (way ahead of the rest, maybe the best brown Lager I have ever had)
2. Schalfly
3. Paulener
3. Rhineghast (Cincy local)
4. Goose Island (surprisingly good, but it was on tap instead of a bottle)
5. Great Lakes
6. Sam Adams
7. Hofbrau Hous (this stuff tasted like Corona, surprisingly bad)

I have Bells and Sun King to try tonight. I have never seen a Bells Oktoberfest so this may be there maiden voyage for the fall classic.

When companies sell 55% beer in a squirrel, maybe the craft beer craze has peaked.

In the meantime, eat well and hydrate, watch your favorite college and pro foosball teams, drink beer or bourbon, then fetch Uber, Lyft or Mrs. Beer drinker.

Stay thirsty my friends!

Reactions: We-Todd-Did
When companies sell 55% beer in a squirrel, maybe the craft beer craze has peaked.

In the meantime, eat well and hydrate, watch your favorite college and pro foosball teams, drink beer or bourbon, then fetch Uber, Lyft or Mrs. Beer drinker.

Stay thirsty my friends!
Still room to grow. Especially when crazy SOBs like me and Willy still walk this earth.

Carry on.

Update

1. Knob Knee at the New Albanian (way ahead of the rest, maybe the best brown Lager I have ever had)
2. Bells (really good, not surprised)
3. Schalfly
4. Paulener
5. Rhineghast (Cincy local)
6. Goose Island (surprisingly good, but it was on tap instead of a bottle)
7. Sun King (OK)
8. Great Lakes
9. Sam Adams
10. Leinenkugels (meh)
11. Hofbrau Hous (this stuff tasted like Corona, surprisingly bad)

I hope you guys appreciate all the hard work I am putting in drinking this beer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT