ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer....the sequel

@We-Todd-Did do you ever go to Bourbon on Main in Frankfort? Do they usually have decent taps?

Ethereal looks good and the location is indeed neat. The problem is, the 4 times I've tried to go I literally couldn't park anywhere. Maybe just hit them at super busy times, but my lord. I had to back out of the parking lot because I couldn't even turn around
Thanks for the feedback, Transy. I'll probably bus in from Knoxville when I travel up that way next November.

@We-Todd-Did do you ever go to Bourbon on Main in Frankfort? Do they usually have decent taps?

Ethereal looks good and the location is indeed neat. The problem is, the 4 times I've tried to go I literally couldn't park anywhere. Maybe just hit them at super busy times, but my lord. I had to back out of the parking lot because I couldn't even turn around
I haven't been. That's one of the places the wife wants to go so it's going to happen.

In Frankfort I really like Buddy's Pizza. The pizza is good and their beer selection is the standards and a few really nice bottle craft beers they rotate pretty often.

I know what you mean about Ethereal. Ate at the Middle Fork a couple of weeks ago and the parking was nuts. When we left we had to sit in the car and wait until cars moved around to let us out. I may try that one afternoon.

Walmart offers its own private label craft beer. The suds are produced by a NY-based brewer called "Trouble Brewing".

If I can find the beer nearby, I may give it a shot.

Well goddamn, I guess there will be one way to get me to Wal-mart. I'll try it. But my only worry is having to be around lesser class people. Not sure I wanna mix with the poors.

I tried Ommegang's newest every day offering and it was pretty darn good. Its brewed in a sister brewery in Belgium. Its basically a dark ale with caramel/chocolate notes blended with a some sour cherry kriek. However, its not overly sour at all. The brewer's intention was to create a mildly sour ale that you would be able to drink multiples at a time. Its a little hard to find though.

http://www.ommegang.com/blog/meet-rosetta/

Ommegang%2BRosetta.jpg

Last edited:
Bought a Arcadia Ales loch down which is a scotch ale. At 8% it's got a good kick. It's pretty good and I'd definitely buy it again. Also bought a Kentucky Ale (not the bourbon barrel). Haven't tried it yet but it says it's a English pale ale and Irish red ale which are both good to me. After that I have one falls city which is my go to beer. When those are gone it's good old colors light.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Ommegang is a sick brewery to visit. Lot's of concerts in the summer, even some national acts (but mostly regional). Lots of people pitch tents ans camp out in the fields. Based in Cooperstown NY about a 45 min ride from albany (or I'd guess 2.5 hours from NYC), very Norman Rockwell-ish.. Great town. Some other breweries out there lile Cooperstown brewing and Butternuts, working for the latter a short while. Also the baseball hall of fame, which is very well done.

Ommegang/Cooperstown is definitely a top10 beer trip in the US

mocha_IPA_stone-225x300.png
I suggest if you see this pick it up. This is now in my top 5 best beers I've had. I believe it's a limited release. I picked up a 6 pack at the liquor barn in Bowling Green. 9% abv

Found another good summer beer: Avery Liliko'I Kepolo.. Wheat beer with Passion Fruit. Awesome all-day 90 degrees out type beer. Very refreshing. But, Avery's marketing and can design is lacking. I know it doesn't affect the taste, but I do respect the marketing, like 21st Amendment and Magic Hat.

Finally found a Ballast Point beer I DIDN'T like.. Thai Chili Wahoo. God, that's awful. I like spicy food, but spicy beer? Not sure why I thought this would be good. And it comes in a damn 22 ounce bottle no less.. like, people actually want to drink that much spicy beer?

Keep this as a reminder, if putting chili powder in beer sounds like a bad idea.. it probably is.

Found another good summer beer: Avery Liliko'I Kepolo.. Wheat beer with Passion Fruit. Awesome all-day 90 degrees out type beer. Very refreshing. But, Avery's marketing and can design is lacking. I know it doesn't affect the taste, but I do respect the marketing, like 21st Amendment and Magic Hat.

Finally found a Ballast Point beer I DIDN'T like.. Thai Chili Wahoo. God, that's awful. I like spicy food, but spicy beer? Not sure why I thought this would be good. And it comes in a damn 22 ounce bottle no less.. like, people actually want to drink that much spicy beer?

Keep this as a reminder, if putting chili powder in beer sounds like a bad idea.. it probably is.
[laughing]

I like spicy beer and drank Ballast Point Thai Chili Wahoo on 06/17. To me, it was decent for a "chile", but for some folks such beers are more of an acquired taste.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Yes, and in my opinion, Shiner Bohemian Black Lager is more satisfying than Shiner Bock. Think of it as sort of a poor man's/woman's Köstritzer Schwarzbier (Black Beer). Nice malts. Single hop. I believe you'll enjoy it.

Into the beer fridge it shall go then.

Drinking a Bell's Oberon for the first time in years and am disappointed. Made me think, what's the craft beer you've had the biggest about face on, either good to bad or bad to good?

I used to love Oberon, easily one of my favorites. Now? just barely average

I had two "about faces" with Magic Hat, actually. When I was in college, craft beer was just getting popular, but being broke and lack of palate meant piss beer like Natty Light.

Dirty hippies back home used to drink Magic Hat in the summer.. But more so cause they were hipster-ish and no one else drank it. They stuck their nose up at the light beer and I remember saying "F Magic Hat and F hippies.. "

Then after I graduated and spent more time skiing in vermont I learned to love it. It was really the first non-college beer I drank. Number 9, HIPA, etc.. At the time, such a new take in what beer should taste like.

Since, they really haven't done much for me. A lot of their new offerings were terrible, like some cucumber beer. Even their mainstays stsrted to pale in comparison to other offerings. I feel like they've just gotten complacent.

I had two "about faces" with Magic Hat, actually. When I was in college, craft beer was just getting popular, but being broke and lack of palate meant piss beer like Natty Light.

Dirty hippies back home used to drink Magic Hat in the summer.. But more so cause they were hipster-ish and no one else drank it. They stuck their nose up at the light beer and I remember saying "F Magic Hat and F hippies.. "

Then after I graduated and spent more time skiing in vermont I learned to love it. It was really the first non-college beer I drank. Number 9, HIPA, etc.. At the time, such a new take in what beer should taste like.

Since, they really haven't done much for me. A lot of their new offerings were terrible, like some cucumber beer. Even their mainstays stsrted to pale in comparison to other offerings. I feel like they've just gotten complacent.
North American Breweries of Rochester NY purchased Magic Hat in 2010. Two years later, a Costa Rican company, Cerveceria Costa Rica, bought North American. Acquisitions aside, I've also noticed a decline in Magic Hat.

Drinking a Bell's Oberon for the first time in years and am disappointed. Made me think, what's the craft beer you've had the biggest about face on, either good to bad or bad to good?

I used to love Oberon, easily one of my favorites. Now? just barely average

Good one. I dunno. I've drank Great Divade's Hercules then and about spermed in my pants. Now I drink it. I wonder what the hell I was thinking. I have had that happen several times. Terrapin beers. I drink them now and I start to have shame issues.

I think Austin is the Beer Whisperer. Guy controls beer. You think I'm effing kidding. Yeast is alive. It takes live yeast to brew beer. Austin has a unique connection to various strains of yeast.

Man, if you give Austin 200 years of life. All of us beer drinkers would be microwaving our beer and f***** it. All because of him. I'd love to f*** a german beer. I'd go all nazi on it.

Wait.. Genesee is a hot commodity outside of Upstate, New York? It has some nostalgia, and isn't terrible on a hot day.. but no one drinks that but hicks and rednecks up here. You put me in a small gas station with just 10 types of beers.. I'm probably picking Genesee 6th..

Wait.. Genesee is a hot commodity outside of Upstate, New York? It has some nostalgia, and isn't terrible on a hot day.. but no one drinks that but hicks and rednecks up here. You put me in a small gas station with just 10 types of beers.. I'm probably picking Genesee 6th..
Since Genesee has expanded their selection, for some reason I've been looking forward to drinking a few. I have not drank a Genesee beer in over 30 years.

Ya think you're right. My brother had me pick up his nostalgia college beer when I was passing thru PA.
IMO it's a good broke ass college student beer to shotgun, I should have brought back some Yuengling instead.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Throwing a lil' 4th of Jooly party this Sunday.. Ran over to the BD on my lunchbreak and picked up the following:

12er of 21st Ammendment Watermelon
6er of Avery Lilikoi
6er of Ballast Point Grapefruit
6er of Long Trail Blackberry wheat (haven't had this yet)
And a 36er of Bud light for drinking games.
Also going to make a house drink, probably Keywest Lemonaid.. Everyone loves that drink in the summer.

Here's what kills me, though. I got a receipt for the first time in a while (who returns beer anyways)... The Avery and BP were $13.50 for a 6-PACK!! I get that these are going coast-to-coast.. but so is 21st, and that's only $9.30 for a 6er. What gives?

Throwing a lil' 4th of Jooly party this Sunday.. Ran over to the BD on my lunchbreak and picked up the following:

12er of 21st Ammendment Watermelon
6er of Avery Lilikoi
6er of Ballast Point Grapefruit
6er of Long Trail Blackberry wheat (haven't had this yet)
And a 36er of Bud light for drinking games.
Also going to make a house drink, probably Keywest Lemonaid.. Everyone loves that drink in the summer.

Here's what kills me, though. I got a receipt for the first time in a while (who returns beer anyways)... The Avery and BP were $13.50 for a 6-PACK!! I get that these are going coast-to-coast.. but so is 21st, and that's only $9.30 for a 6er. What gives?

Got any crack?

Sounds like you have enough beer, but you need some crack to spice shit up my man.

I'm sitting on a patio over a river listening to live music and drinking draft PBR. Sometimes a meh beer is the right choice and this is one.
No shame in my game.:sunglasses:

Going to get a West Sixth Snake Eyes when I get home as a night cap. Been saving it.

Reactions: Willy4UK
I'm sitting on a patio over a river listening to live music and drinking draft PBR. Sometimes a meh beer is the right choice and this is one.
No shame in my game.:sunglasses:

Going to get a West Sixth Snake Eyes when I get home as a night cap. Been saving it.

Ha ha

A good PBR is awesome when you feel good. Hell yeah.

Going to cigar city brewery tomorrow

Anyone had Mead? Just tried some for the first time recently. My first was Viking Blod.....and it was soooooo sweet, I about went into a diabetic coma....yuck. Then had a nice taste of BNektor....it was really good. Kinda like a sweet white wine.

I still prefer beer, scotch, bourbon, and red wine....but it's nice to try new things. Lexington's getting a craft cider place fairly soon. The amount of craft places are going to double this year in Lexington to almost 10.

Also just tried: I love La Fin du Monde from Unibroue so I tried Maudite and Don de Dieu. All very good.

Also just got a wonderful bomber box set from Moerlein. Came with 2 etched snifters and 4 bombers from their private selections. One is a blackberry imperial Hefe, a brandy barrel aged Belgian, and a couple others.

Also tried Moerlein Blood Orange IPA for the FC Cincy. It was good too.

Anyone had Mead? Just tried some for the first time recently. My first was Viking Blod.....and it was soooooo sweet, I about went into a diabetic coma....yuck. Then had a nice taste of BNektor....it was really good. Kinda like a sweet white wine.
I visited the only Austin meadery last year, which is located nearby, and left quite satisfied + buzzed.

I drank Viking Blod earlier this year in Orlando at World of Beer with @Willy4UK . Very good and sweeeeeeeeeet.

Reactions: Willy4UK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT