ADVERTISEMENT

Government Weather Modification aka Cloud Seeding

"Patents" can be civilization changing. Like lightbulbs or lasers. Or innocuous doodads. You can't cite a patent to prove government conspiracy. In 2023, there were over 300,000 patents issued.

Practical modification of the weather involves rainmaking. Seeding clouds. It has some success but it's advantages are ambiguous. You sure can't gin up a hurricane and you can't dissipate it. Trump once asked if he could nuke one to dissipate it. That's the kind of energies involved.
A hurricane releases energy through the formation of clouds and rain (it takes energy to evaporate all that water). An average hurricane (1.5 cm/day of rain, circle radius of 665 km), that's a gigantic amount of energy: 6.0 x 10^14 Watts or 5.2 x 10^19 Joules/day!

This is equivalent to about 200 times the total electrical generating capacity on the planet! NASA says that during its life cycle a hurricane can expend as much energy as 10,000 nuclear bombs! And we're just talking about average hurricanes here. You don't F with mother nature.

Rather than take a walk in the park on a beautiful day, the Hall Monitor has announced that this discussion is absurd in a lengthy novella post upstream.

So, please honor the Hall Monitor. If you have any questions, you can find him in the professional wrastl’n/soap opera thread with quiet frequency.
If the purpose of discussing small scale and widely known efforts to modify weather (e.g., cloud seeding) is to try to lend credence to the idea that we can manipulate a hurricane, then that is an absurd conversation to have.

We know that humans are capable of significantly modifying a landscape. Bulldozers can shift a hill’s worth of dirt and explosives radically changed the face of Mt Rushmore. It’s fine to have a discussion about the ways that we’re able to reshape the land.

But it would be absurd to suggest that because we can do those things, that we are also capable of adjusting the position of Mt Everest.

Last edited:
If the purpose of discussing small scale and widely known efforts to modify weather (e.g., cloud seeding) is try to lend credence to the idea that we can manipulate a hurricane, then that is an absurd conversation to have.

We know that humans are capable of significantly modifying a landscape. Bulldozers can shift a hill’s worth of dirt and explosives radically changed the face of Mt Rushmore. It’s fine to have a discussion about the ways that we’re able to reshape the land.

But it would be absurd to suggest that because we can do those things, that we are also capable of adjusting the position of Mt Everest.
I don't think anyone believes the government has the ability to form or dissipate a hurricane but it is an interesting question as to if it's possible that an existing hurricane could be supercharged in it's intensity. It's asinine to think our government has not explored the weaponization of weather in some form or fashion.

I'm pretty sure that if we can control hurricanes Trump would have told us.

I'm also pretty convinced that making a hurricane for the sole purpose of, well I don't even know, only to have it demolish one of the biggest democratic havens in a purple toss up state 8 weeks before the election seems like a pretty questionable move.

It's one thing to debate climate change, this is a bit more on the fringe imo.

Reactions: BigSexyCat
I don't think anyone believes the government has the ability to form or dissipate a hurricane but it is an interesting question as to if it's possible that an existing hurricane could be supercharged in it's intensity. It's asinine to think our government has not explored the weaponization of weather in some form or fashion.
If someone wants to speculate about what it would take to one day manipulate hurricane intensity, more power to them.

However, it is absurd to suggest that we currently have the capability to do so.

Whether or not the government has explored that capability is not relevant. The government and other organizations are constantly exploring new ways of pushing the limits of what we’re capable of. But simply exploring an idea doesn’t mean we’re capable of it.

It’s laughable to suggest we’re capable of doing something solely on the basis that someone, at some point, has looked into whether or not it was possible.

Reactions: Alias44 and Mossip
If someone wants to speculate about what it would take to one day manipulate hurricane intensity, more power to them.

However, it is absurd to suggest that we currently have the capability to do so.

Whether or not the government has explored that capability is not relevant. The government and other organizations are constantly exploring new ways of pushing the limits of what we’re capable of. But simply exploring an idea doesn’t mean we’re capable of it.

It’s laughable to suggest we’re capable of doing something solely on the basis that someone, at some point, has looked into whether or not it was possible.
What's laughable is you pretending to know the limits of government R&D and how far we have advanced in this field, then again maybe your a G man with your ear to the ground but I doubt it. I'll admit I don't if it's even possible but it's definitely plausible.

I'm pretty sure that if we can control hurricanes Trump would have told us.

I'm also pretty convinced that making a hurricane for the sole purpose of, well I don't even know, only to have it demolish one of the biggest democratic havens in a purple toss up state 8 weeks before the election seems like a pretty questionable move.

It's one thing to debate climate change, this is a bit more on the fringe imo.
I agree but I think intensifying is not necessarily controlling.

Let’s cut to the chase here. You believe - or are using your “critical thinking skills” to think about whether - the federal government has caused (or intensified) these two hurricanes. Putting aside the fantasy of that being possible, why would the current administration do that especially right before an election?

Reactions: Alias44
Let’s cut to the chase here. You believe - or are using your “critical thinking skills” to think about whether - the federal government has caused (or intensified) these two hurricanes. Putting aside the fantasy of that being possible, why would the current administration do that especially right before an election?
That insertion is made by you not me. You conspiracy theorists really need to chill.

I'm just wondering which bot, meme, or tweet started this because when a tornado destroyed a large portion of Mayfield, there wasn't a peep online about that having anything to do with the government (I can't believe I just had to write that). In the last few days however, I've seen a local met on twitter feel the need to comment on this notion that the government has something to do with the last couple hurricanes and how utterly insane that is. Folks keep getting played by bots and memes that are likely created overseas, choose to believe whatever they're putting out, and spread that false info as if it makes sense that we should all be asking if the government has anything to do with Helene or Milton. It's some weird, wild stuff.

I'm just wondering which bot, meme, or tweet started this because when a tornado destroyed a large portion of Mayfield, there wasn't a peep online about that having anything to do with the government (I can't believe I just had to write that). In the last few days however, I've seen a local met on twitter feel the need to comment on this notion that the government has something to do with the last couple hurricanes and how utterly insane that is. Folks keep getting played by bots and memes that are likely created overseas, choose to believe whatever they're putting out, and spread that false info as if it makes sense that we should all be asking if the government has anything to do with Helene or Milton. It's some weird, wild stuff.
It's pretty unusual for a country to weaponize something to use on....itself. I How does that make sense to anyone?

Caveman, do you think the government has intentionally manipulated Helene and/or Milton?

I have no reason to believe that. Do I think that a storm could be weaponized? I suspect that theory is not far-fetched. Do I have any reason to believe that has happened? No.

Disagreeing and acting like ass intending to shame are very different. Do you agree?

My first boss I ever had in the corporate world back in the way back days of 1999 told a group of us young go getters something that I think about to this day:

“It doesn’t matter if it’s true or false. It matters if it’s effective”.

Great post, thanks for detailing your firsthand account. I've heard talk of lasers being used in weather modification which would be fascinating if true.

On a side note I'm quite amazed with the science deniers we have responding to this thread.

Here's a short clip discussing it. Take Kaku fwiw.

I have no reason to believe that. Do I think that a storm could be weaponized? I suspect that theory is not far-fetched. Do I have any reason to believe that has happened? No.

Disagreeing and acting like ass intending to shame are very different. Do you agree?
This. Make no mistake that research is being done into it. Of course it is. Controlling the weather has been a sci-fi dream for decades.
Can we actually do it? Lol no; not well. Hell, cloud seeding is only like 20-30% effective AT BEST.

What's funny is alot of the people people who claim we faked the moon landing because we can't get there with our tech are the same one's claiming we can steer hurricanes. Like, bud, that's a strange technological juxtaposition gap there.

Some of the people who are ragging on those in this thread who believe it might be possible to manipulate the weather (don't know myself) are some of the same people who believe men can get pregnant, Biden was sharp 6 months ago, and Anna Nicole married for love. Some of that critical thinking being bantered around.

You guys can go back to your echo chamber. We talking lazers, y'all!!

A fully developed hurricane can release heat energy at a rate of 5 to 20x1013 watts and converts less than 10% of the heat into the mechanical energy of the wind. The heat release is equivalent to a 10-megaton nuclear bomb exploding every 20 minutes. According to the 1993 World Almanac, the entire human race used energy at a rate of 1013 watts in 1990, a rate less than 20% of the power of a hurricane.

Reactions: GeraldV
Has anyone actually read, or heard a real person write, or say they think the Govt can steer or create a hurricane? This all seems like a bit of misdirection to me.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Has anyone actually read, or heard a real person write, or say they think the Govt can steer or create a hurricane? This all seems like a bit of misdirection to me.

I attempted to find the post that suggested that. Seems it was in response to the OP, rather than anything in the OP. And, then the snarky opposition laid in like it was a prevailing thought. 🤦‍♂️

The reason I came to this thread is not to debate whether the govt influenced this hurricane, but to get a sense of whether we could stop a hurricane if we really wanted to. Like would it be feasible? Everything I've read said the only way to do that would be to nuke it, and they damn sure aren't going to do that.

“It goes back into Greek mythology to think you can control the powers of the heavens, but it’s a failed idea.” - Jim Fleming (expert in climate engineering who is reportedly critical of technological fixes to address global warming).

Project STORMFURY was evidently an attempt to diffuse hurricanes by seeding the storm, envisioning the storm getting larger, but weaker. Ethical concerns were one reason that never happened. Nuking a hurricane probably would not work, but would add radioactive material to an already bad situation. I think Bill Gates would promote solar geoengineering. Let’s hope we don’t come to that sort of risky behavior.

The reason I came to this thread is not to debate whether the govt influenced this hurricane, but to get a sense of whether we could stop a hurricane if we really wanted to. Like would it be feasible? Everything I've read said the only way to do that would be to nuke it, and they damn sure aren't going to do that.
No, we cannot "stop" a hurricane, even if we really, really wanted to.

This thread is causing me to type sentences I never thought I'd have to type.

• Haha
Reactions: GJNorman
No, we cannot "stop" a hurricane, even if we really, really wanted to.

This thread is causing me to type sentences I never thought I'd have to type.
Ironically, the only thing that "stops" a hurricane is land. Land, especially mountainous regions, will zap a hurricane's fuel source really quick.

Hence why Milton after passing over Florida, is now a shell of its former self.

Warm water (like the Gulf) helps making those things just explode in size and strength.

Reactions: GJNorman

Have they tried magnets?

Ironically, the only thing that "stops" a hurricane is land. Land, especially mountainous regions, will zap a hurricane's fuel source really quick.

Hence why Milton after passing over Florida, is now a shell of its former self.

Warm water (like the Gulf) helps making those things just explode in size and strength.
Great info! You wont get any likes around here, unless you post fantasy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT