ADVERTISEMENT

Good ole Cal is back…

I'm glad you guys are happy with the post-up offense finishing with 6 assists. This game should have never been close.
How many 3s did we miss? How many did Florida make? When one aspect of the game is not working you adjust to what is. The 6 assists are really bad but we missed a lot of gimme's and open 3s we usually make. To say this game should never have been close is a super weak response. Florida played above themselves, what we normally do wasn’t working. This game was always going to be close.

We should have won this game by 10+. Playing Edwards too much, not working through Reed / keeping him cold / and moving away from what makes this team great is the reason it was close.

The players 100% came through, the coaching was pretty bad as far as game management goes until the end when it had to be sealed.

Sorry it’s the truth. Love Calipari or hate him, the truth is still the truth.
What are you talking about

Three straight possessions ending with Onyenso is not going to otherwise undo the majority of the game that was well coached. Cal drew up some great plays for Bradshaw late in the game. Also did a great job at getting his best free throw shooter the ball over and over to close out the game. In bounds play between Wagner and Reed was good, making sure Reeves was in on offense and out on defense was good.

Other than Reed fouling (and not sure how you can blame that on anyone but him) the end of the game was coached really well.

There’s not a coach in America that won’t have a few moments in a game that can be cherry picked to utilize to say they’re a bad coach. Not sure why we have so many fans jumping at the gun and wanting to focus so much energy on any little bad stretch of play.

6 straight road wins at Florida. Pretty good.

Last edited:
Other than leaving Dillingham in to long 1st half I thought he and entire coaching staff did a great job! And trust me I haven't posted in few years but I've been critical of COACH! But he will be my guy until he leaves our great basketball program!

Cal actually did an EXCELLENT job with his rotations and playing time today. Especially considering how poorly we shot the ball.

Going to Bradshaw at crunch time after how poorly he had played the first 30 minutes was CRAZY, but VERY EFFECTIVE!!!

Hopefully this game will give him the confidence he's been lacking. Edwards even played better in the 2nd half.

I'm glad you guys are happy with the post-up offense finishing with 6 assists. This game should have never been close.
Alternatively you could argue the team was ice cold from 3, adjusted to go inside to take advantage of some mismatches, and made good coaching adjustments at the half to eliminate the turnovers.

Win or lose Calipari is done winning big at UK. He just cannot adapt and you have to. Coach K did it, Saban did it, you have to. And he just can’t do it.

It’s not about winning or losing a single game for me. Every coach in the country starts Reed Sheppard and works through him. Not doing this is malpractice.

He’s going to allow Edwards to kill his draft stock and hurt the team at the same time. You can’t do that and win titles.
Silly silly... Calipari coached a very good game today. Nice halftime adjustments. Had the best lineup on the floor under 4-5 minutes. until we needed to make FTs... then he put our best ballhandlers and FT shooters in.

Reactions: University-6
I am not a Cal fan. He will lose more games like this than he wins. However, I thought that today was a pretty well coached game. He took a young team into a very hostile environment and did as good of job as I've seen in some time.

• Haha
Reactions: shodaman
Channel 9 Reaction GIF by Married At First Sight

• Haha
Reactions: Mdnerd
Things get tough and he immediately reverts to feeding the post and slowing things down. If we need to depend on our bigs to make offensive plays, we won’t beat anyone.
Were you watching the game? Florida's perimeter defense was good. Their interior and post defense was awful. They couldn't handle Mitchell or our guards when they drove. Pounding it onside is why we won this game.

Reactions: bigbluelou
Win or lose Calipari is done winning big at UK. He just cannot adapt and you have to. Coach K did it, Saban did it, you have to. And he just can’t do it.

It’s not about winning or losing a single game for me. Every coach in the country starts Reed Sheppard and works through him. Not doing this is malpractice.

He’s going to allow Edwards to kill his draft stock and hurt the team at the same time. You can’t do that and win titles.
I agree about Edwards and Sheppard. I don't see how you can justify Sheppard playing the fifth most minutes on the team, as was the case today.

Cal has his flaws for sure. Every coach does, but this was a well coached game in a tough environment.

Sad that some hate Cal so much that they miss out on many of the good things that come our way.
My god, a rational take that acknowledges both sides of an argument. I feel like I’ve just seen a unicorn.

Reactions: bigbluelou
I wish people would go and look at SEC results over Cals tenure. We have so many 2-4 point wins on the road. Even our best teams. Road games are always close and tough, if they weren’t we would be favored by 10.

no it is a university of kentucky win as a whole team
Yeah but if you’re gonna blame Cal for a loss, you gotta credit him for a win. I’ll be honest, I was about done with Cal before the season and I’m still skeptical but he has the potential to win me back. This season has been his best coaching job in quite a while. He’s got a lot of talent but there’s no AD/John Wall level players here that he usually requires to win big.

And today was a really solid win that I feel like they wouldn’t have pulled off the last few years. Again, I’m trying to keep my expectations in check, but danged if I ain’t starting to get a little excited.

Yeah but if you’re gonna blame Cal for a loss, you gotta credit him for a win. I’ll be honest, I was about done with Cal before the season and I’m still skeptical but he has the potential to win me back. This season has been his best coaching job in quite a while. He’s got a lot of talent but there’s no AD/John Wall level players here that he usually requires to win big.

And today was a really solid win that I feel like they wouldn’t have pulled off the last few years. Again, I’m trying to keep my expectations in check, but danged if I ain’t starting to get a little excited.
I totally agree

We should have won this game by 10+. Playing Edwards too much, not working through Reed / keeping him cold / and moving away from what makes this team great is the reason it was close.

The players 100% came through, the coaching was pretty bad as far as game management goes until the end when it had to be sealed.

Sorry it’s the truth. Love Calipari or hate him, the truth is still the truth.
Bafoooooon

It will age great come tourney time. Check back…

I’m glad we won, but the point still stands and Cal will continue to revert.
What do you mean "continue" to revert? Nothing about the offense since the bigs started playing has been reverting to anything. Since Bradshaw and Ugo came back we've continued to play mainly a 4 out offense and tempo has gotten even faster. We were in the 60s in tempo before Bradshaw and now we're 20. Only three power conference teams play quicker than we do.

Not every game is going to be a three point shooting clinic. We were cold as hell from three today and came up with a way to win anyway.

I wish people would go and look at SEC results over Cals tenure. We have so many 2-4 point wins on the road. Even our best teams. Road games are always close and tough, if they weren’t we would be favored by 10.
People acting like we barely beat a scrub. They’re Top 50 Net and Top 35 Kenpom. That’s a damn good win on the road. I mean they were 10-3 coming to today and those 3 losses were close.

People acting like we barely beat a scrub. They’re Top 50 Net and Top 35 Kenpom. That’s a damn good win on the road. I mean they were 10-3 coming to today and those 3 losses were close.
Yeah Florida is a tournament team no doubt. It’s like everyone expects “good” teams to be all ranked top 10, or if you don’t beat a team that is not ranked by 20 that it’s not a good win.

What do you mean "continue" to revert? Nothing about the offense since the bigs started playing has been reverting to anything. Since Bradshaw and Ugo came back we've continued to play mainly a 4 out offense and tempo has gotten even faster. We were in the 60s in tempo before Bradshaw and now we're 20. Only three power conference teams play quicker than we do.

Not every game is going to be a three point shooting clinic. We were cold as hell from three today and came up with a way to win anyway.
That’s a great sign to me, we have been on from 3 most games this season and usually a team like that won’t win if they go cold. We found a way.

Reactions: University-6
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT