ADVERTISEMENT

To make matters worse, Welches offense is gone now too.

Yeah, I’m wondering the same thing about “Welch’s offense.” I have seen him quite a bit working one-on-one with players, but I don’t recall reading anything from someone in the know about Welch developing an offensive scheme for UK. Maybe he did, but I suspect it might also be one of those deals where somebody makes an off-hand remark or states an unsupported opinion (e.g., “this is clearly Welsh’s offense”), it gets repeated a few times, then suddenly it’s conventional wisdom. Anyway, if anybody has a link or reference to an article discussing Welch’s role in the offense, I’d appreciate reading it.
“With the strength of our guards and perimeter players, we need to get back to that style of play,” Calipari said at the time. “John will be involved heavily in our offensive strategy and will be our lead coach in on-court player development. We’re excited to have him join our program.”

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...tball-men/article283949648.html#storylink=cpy

The other day on the radio a pregame interview with Cal. I heard him stress how he wants 25 shots in the paint minimum. Some things never change, best 3 point shooting team we may have ever had. Let's stop shooting them and turn to our shaky post play.
That’s fine as long as the other 30 are 3’s. Alabamas shot chart was beautiful the other night. Not a single shot out of the paint or from 3.

Cal has reverted to slowing it down, and grinding out wins. That’s not working either so he’s out of answers. I’d rather at least try to score 100 and see what happens because we won’t get a stop when we need 1.
Cals commitment to Ugo screwed everything up . We were better without him. .. play to your strength - scoring . Not some bean pole that adds next to nothing

Ball movement has stalled. We have 1-2 guys who are willing passers now. It was a thing of beauty early in the year and now it’s gone.

Yeah, I’m wondering the same thing about “Welch’s offense.” I have seen him quite a bit working one-on-one with players, but I don’t recall reading anything from someone in the know about Welch developing an offensive scheme for UK. Maybe he did, but I suspect it might also be one of those deals where somebody makes an off-hand remark or states an unsupported opinion (e.g., “this is clearly Welsh’s offense”), it gets repeated a few times, then suddenly it’s conventional wisdom. Anyway, if anybody has a link or reference to an article discussing Welch’s role in the offense, I’d appreciate reading it.
Did you watch ANY of the early games before the 7 footers got in the lineup???

Trey Mitchell and 4 shooters on the 3 point line sure was something new for our offense.

Was that Cal changing what he has always run and then suddenly reverting back to DD with 2 bigs in the paint, or no???

Cal has reverted to slowing it down, and grinding out wins. That’s not working either so he’s out of answers. I’d rather at least try to score 100 and see what happens because we won’t get a stop when we need 1.
You do realize the other team has a part in how the game is played right?

Trey Mitchell and 4 shooters on the 3 point line sure was something new for our offense.

Was that Cal changing what he has always run and then suddenly reverting back to DD with 2 bigs in the paint, or no???
We don't play with 2 bigs in the paint.

Ugo and Theiro being on the floor together make it impossible to run Welch’s offense. Neither are a threat to score 5ft from the basket so teams are just clogging the middle . Neither are very good passer’s either. Ugo is horrible with all ball skills.
The scoring was better withe small ball lineup with Mitchell at the 5. Better spacing and passing with Mitchell out high. Of course the defense was bad and Ugo adds that.

Ugo and AB in the game at the same should never happen.

Cal is gonna Cal and that means rock fights.

Lol. OK Cal. Whatever you say.
When? When is this happening? Just because you want it to be true and know someone will jump in and agree with your put down comments doesn't mean it really happens. Hell Adou has been playing the 4 and he sure as hell isn't standing in the paint

The scoring was better withe small ball lineup with Mitchell at the 5. Better spacing and passing with Mitchell out high. Of course the defense was bad and Ugo adds that.

Ugo and AB in the game at the same should never happen.

Cal is gonna Cal and that means rock fights.
Mitchell has been pitiful since the sec games started.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I think UK shot 20 3 pointers against LSU

but there was a stretch there where the team just went into the teeth of LSU's defense time after time, it was intentional - and they missed a bunch of shots. I guess it could be because Dilly wasn't hitting anything in the first half, but in the Ole Miss game and LSU , to me it seemed like the emphasis for taking a 3 when it was there has been limited. Its scripted and its holding them back

3/4 of the way into game game Cal flipped a switch. Started running stall ball with DJ.

He’s playing 4D chess. Gunning for that 8 seed so he can get lauded with praise for knocking off Purdue and demand a contract extension for making the Sweet 16.

You guys will be sorry you ever doubted him.
Painter will our coach him so bad it won’t be funny. He will run the same play with Edey 47 times in a row and Cal will stand on the sideline like Elmer Fudd.

Reactions: TopCatCal
We know what happened. Cal went back to his safety blanket and we’ve been running weave and floppy action bc that’s better for Edwards and Wagner to drive. We de-emphasized spacing and shooting bc it’s their weakness. It isn’t a coincidence Edwards has played better the last 2 weeks now that we are taking 20 or less 3s and focusing on penetration off weave and floppy action.

No I'm not saying its purely to help Wagner and Edwards but that’s a part of it combined with Cal hoping it would let them improve defensively by slowing the game down. We are still average to bad defensively but now we aren’t applying offensive pressure to force the other team to “keep up”….most college teams can’t keep up if you’re forcing them to score 90+ night in and night out.

If you want to slow it down to try to help the defense….ok sure….but no reason to stop running a good spread offense and focusing on our biggest strength of having 3 guys shooting 40+% from 3….we should be taking 25-30 a game and living w the result. If the 3 isn’t there then shot fake and get to floater distance w those same 3 guys being the focal point. No need to revert to his preferred offensive style. The offense wasn’t the issue. We’d barely seen floppy action all year other than a play or 2 here or there. We’ve watched it almost every other possession the last few games

May have to do with Mitchell being out too and losing your true stretch 4….will be interesting to see if we go back to the other offensive style and getting closer to 25-30 3s once he’s back in the lineup
Wagner has fallen off a cliff since floppy action came to be.

Reactions: TopCatCal
Putting John Calipari in charge of the UK basketball program without John Robic at his side or him not listening to John Welch, would be like putting a man with Alzheimers in charge of running our country. Either way it's a disaster.

Yes, I watched the games, and saw that. But where is there anything attributing a new offense to Welch? The Lexington Herald article had Calipari saying Welch would be involved with the offense too, but again seemed to indicate that his primary job would be working with the players - which is what I see when I see Welch. I'm sure he's involved with the offense, but I would assume the same for all the assistants. I just haven't seen anything attributing a completely new offensive scheme to Welch.

Putting John Calipari in charge of the UK basketball program without John Robic at his side or him not listening to John Welch, would be like putting a man with Alzheimers in charge of running our country. Either way it's a disaster.
Amen brother!

Reactions: crestcat
Ugo and Theiro being on the floor together make it impossible to run Welch’s offense. Neither are a threat to score 5ft from the basket so teams are just clogging the middle . Neither are very good passer’s either. Ugo is horrible with all ball skills.
This is the answer to everything!

Yes, I watched the games, and saw that. But where is there anything attributing a new offense to Welch? The Lexington Herald article had Calipari saying Welch would be involved with the offense too, but again seemed to indicate that his primary job would be working with the players - which is what I see when I see Welch. I'm sure he's involved with the offense, but I would assume the same for all the assistants. I just haven't seen anything attributing a completely new offensive scheme to Welch.
So you're saying you think Cal " changed" HIS offense??

Did hell freeze over and I missed it???

So you're saying you think Cal " changed" HIS offense??

Did hell freeze over and I missed it???
I don’t know to what degree any of the coaches were involved in the offense this season. That’s why I was asking. I know if I ask for information related to basketball on this message board, then I’m likely to get some good references. In my opinion there is no better place to find out stuff about UK basketball than what you can find collectively here.

I’m just not a fan of accepting conventional wisdom as “fact.” Someone’s opinion is fine, but it doesn’t elevate to a fact just because it gets repeated over and over; and the “well, if you can’t see” is usually the last refuge of people who don’t know what they’re talking about. So, again, if there is something with substance written about Welch developing the offense used this season, I just wanted to read it. It’s not a for/against Calipari issue – and I’m not interested in being involved in that bickering which adds nothing to a good discussion here.

Reactions: cathouse
Like how does a dude have 17/10 without much practice and now he literally can’t be in a game? It makes no sense.
It’s baffling. I get confidence plays a factor but he seemed to play stronger than his frame would suggest those first few games. Now he gets pushed around like a rag doll, the Gonzaga game being the best example. Really thought he was the missing piece, especially after the first Florida game.

I agree with this 100%. Thanks for this post, F2M !

The biggest happened. But they slowed it down to limit the opponents possessions. Less possessions. Less points against UKs garbage defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT