ADVERTISEMENT

Good Article from Kyle Tucker On Cal Losing His Way

Fantastic article.

What is not mentioned though was the opportunity if handled right to have returned as King of the Hill with K. retiring. In fact, there were several articles prior to K's last season suggesting that possibility. However, poor performance with Cal's team and coaching took the spotlight off and onto others including an inexperienced Jon Scheyer. Kentucky will of course continue to get high level recruits but back in the seasons leading up to 2015 Kentucky was really the "it" program along with Duke and that is definitely not the case anymore.

There also have been controversy since 2015 with several players not getting appropriate time, others too much favoritism despite poor on court performance, the Sharpe debacle, and other issues hurting not helping the view of the program.

Winning can cure all.

It was...long. No one can dispute that.

I kept waiting for something new or profound or at least more insightful than you find on common blog sites. I'm still waiting. It reminded me of what Samuel Johnson said when some writer goaded him for an opinion of the man's recent work: "It was both original and good. But what was original wasn't good, and what was good wasn't original."

I get it though. Cal is a target all over the country, including within the Kentucky program. Partly that's because of his own actions and the Cats falling short of three real opportunities in the past six or seven years to cash in on a Final Four. And partly it is because everyone who follows the sport is jealous of Kentucky and would love to see the program falter. A turgid rehash based on the dubious and unoriginal premise that one game changed Calipari will find lots of readers happy to agree. And that's the name of the game for someone like Kyle Tucker.

I kept waiting for something new or profound or at least more insightful than you find on common blog sites. I'm still waiting. It reminded me of what Samuel Johnson said when some writer goaded him for an opinion of the man's recent work: "It was both original and good. But what was original wasn't good, and what was good wasn't original."

I get it though. Cal is a target all over the country, including within the Kentucky program. Partly that's because of his own actions and the Cats falling short of three real opportunities in the past six or seven years to cash in on a Final Four. And partly it is because everyone who follows the sport is jealous of Kentucky and would love to see the program falter. A turgid rehash based on the dubious and unoriginal premise that one game changed Calipari will find lots of readers happy to agree. And that's the name of the game for someone like Kyle Tucker.
Going to have to disagree. I found the article pretty unbiased. No can dispute how mediocre we've been for that past 5 season. This is Kentucky. Good enough, isn't good enough here.

Going to have to disagree. I found the article pretty unbiased. No can dispute how mediocre we've been for that past 5 season. This is Kentucky. Good enough, isn't good enough here.
Thanks for your respectful response.

I didn't say it was biased. And I didn't say the past few years haven't been disappointing.

I just said the article didn't really have anything new or insightful to say. It was a rehash based on what strikes me as a weak and strained premise that one game changed Calipari. It was taking the facts -- that Kentucky hasn't returned to the Final Four since 2015 -- and twisting them to fit a spurious thesis. As journalism, it was a Nothing ball.

Two shots go the other way in 2017 and 2019 and Kentucky is in two more Final Fours, and no one would be saying, "yeah, that 2015 game really wrecked Calipari." It's disappointing and frustrating those FF's didn't happen. I won't dispute anyone who feels Cal didn't cash in on those golden opportunities. But it doesn't fit the narrative of a guy crushed by a loss in 2015. It's just a weak charge that adds nothing new or interesting to the debate over Kentucky basketball.

Last edited:
I do agree with the person who said the 17 team was really the last fun UK team to watch. I think that E8 loss was what really “broke” everything. I really don’t think Cal or the program has been the same since that screw job. There’s been moments here and there since then, but nothing close to the magic of 10-17.

At this point we have to hope these new freshman live up to their hype and ball out. I don’t think Cal has much goodwill or patience built up with BBN these days. UK has got to come out the gate winning this season. No more “we’re playing for March” and then lose to inferior teams.

I do agree with the person who said the 17 team was really the last fun UK team to watch. I think that E8 loss was what really “broke” everything. I really don’t think Cal or the program has been the same since that screw job. There’s been moments here and there since then, but nothing close to the magic of 10-17.

At this point we have to hope these new freshman live up to their hype and ball out. I don’t think Cal has much goodwill or patience built up with BBN these days. UK has got to come out the gate winning this season. No more “we’re playing for March” and then lose to inferior teams.
We just can't lose like we have been. If we play KU to the wire and lose on a last second shot or just miss on of our own, tip your hat- on to the next. We can't have anymore of these be down by 7-10 with 3 minutes left knowing we're done kinds loses. We've had far too many of those to bad teams. That's the stuff that has to stop.

We just can't lose like we have been. If we play KU to the wire and lose on a last second shot or just miss on of our own, tip your hat- on to the next. We can't have anymore of these be down by 7-10 with 3 minutes left knowing we're done kinds loses. We've had far too many of those to bad teams. That's the stuff that has to stop.
This.

I'll always believe that the tournament is a very volatile and oftentimes lucky sporting event.. and I believe that Cal got a little more lucky/fortuitous in his first 6 years and a little less lucky after that.

You play replay his tenure over, and I think it's very likely we don't have final4s in 2011 and 2014.. and maybe we have a title in 2015 and a final4 in 2017 and one in 2018, maybe even avoid the 2022 early upset and get an elite 8 or more..

Was good to see what we’ve all seen with our own eyes confirmed. The bball program is currently broken, hopefully it’ll be fixed this year but I’m not holding my breath.
I mean, there's a LOT of confirmation in this article that proves the "bennies" weren't crazy and were RIGHT. And it was even further confirmed by the on court performances. We KNEW there was drama and this is just validation.

Cal needs to pull his head out of his butt and get back to being Prime Cal.

Last edited:
Do we assume that the coach was Joel Justus?

Also, does Cal now cut out Tucker like he did MJ?

I didn't say it was biased. And I didn't say the past few years haven't been disappointing.

I just said the article didn't really have anything new or insightful to say. It was a rehash based on what strikes me as a weak and strained premise that one game changed Calipari. It was taking the facts -- that Kentucky hasn't returned to the Final Four since 2015 -- and twisting them to fit a spurious thesis. As journalism, it was a Nothing ball.

Two shots go the other way in 2017 and 2019 and Kentucky is in two more Final Fours, and no one would be saying, "yeah, that 2015 game really wrecked Calipari." It's disappointing and frustrating those FF's didn't happen. I won't dispute anyone who feels Cal didn't cash in on those golden opportunities. But it doesn't fit the narrative of a guy crushed by a loss in 2015. It's just a weak charge that adds nothing new or interesting to the debate over Kentucky basketball.
It sounds like most of Tucker's sources were actual staffers. That's definitely new. It may not have been "new" from the perspective of what's said here on this forum, but in terms of mainstream articles, these things aren't being said. Furthermore, these things need to be said. Calipari has a lot to answer for, and at this point nothing short of a championship is going to compensate for his questionable behavior along with his subpar results. His defenders can bleat the usual "MUH CONTRACT HERP DERP" but at some point losing the fans will mean something, and even someone as rich as Cal doesn't want to be hated by two entire states when he retires.

Nothing new but it does compile all the issues in one spot.

It does seem extremely positive that he has added Welch and Martin.

Like that Cal will read the article and it summarizes issues. Hopefully he is humble enough to take it to heart and continue to fix them. He does read a lot of self help and motivational books and has a good generous heart. Deeply religious. Those traits factor in who he is. Sometimes an outside audit by a good source can really make good change.

Cal was a badass when he came. Take no prisoners. UK intimidated other teams in the pregame layup lines! Get back to where you were. Cal needs a 2nd title to separate himself from the one title coaches at UK and nationally. He does deserve another one.

This article could really be a positive and eye opening and motivating event.

Thank you Kyle Tucker

I'll always believe that the tournament is a very volatile and oftentimes lucky sporting event.. and I believe that Cal got a little more lucky/fortuitous in his first 6 years and a little less lucky after that.

You play replay his tenure over, and I think it's very likely we don't have final4s in 2011 and 2014.. and maybe we have a title in 2015 and a final4 in 2017 and one in 2018, maybe even avoid the 2022 early upset and get an elite 8 or more..
I see the lucky argument get brought up (mostly by UK fans talking about Cal), and I do agree somewhat; but the elite coaches are able to win multiple titles. Cal really needs that second title if he wants to be viewed as one of the elite coaches. It can be done, but time is quickly ticking away.

I see the lucky argument get brought up (mostly by UK fans talking about Cal), and I do agree somewhat; but the elite coaches are able to win multiple titles. Cal really needs that second title if he wants to be viewed as one of the elite coaches. It can be done, but time is quickly ticking away.

It's more just that I never believed Cal was some excellent coach in 2014, when we barely made the tournament. Nor do I think he was a lousy coach when we got robbed in 2017. Is he the same coach in 2009 as he is today? Probably not. But I think we forget that he has largely the same tendencies throughout his career. People talk about him playing stall ball when up in big games.. he did that going back to his time Memphis.

I guess I don't believe he was AS good as others think from 2009 to 2015.. and I don't believe he was AS bad as we think since. I think both are a little closer to the middle than we want to believe.. we just had a few extra shots go in during those first years.

That's a great article and spells things out for everyone to see. The decline of the UK program rests on the shoulders of John Calipari. I would love to see things change and Kentucky to get back to where it should be at the top of college basketball, but I just don't have faith in Calipari. I'll be happy if he proves me wrong and changes my mind.

It's more just that I never believed Cal was some excellent coach in 2014, when we barely made the tournament. Nor do I think he was a lousy coach when we got robbed in 2017. Is he the same coach in 2009 as he is today? Probably not. But I think we forget that he has largely the same tendencies throughout his career. People talk about him playing stall ball when up in big games.. he did that going back to his time Memphis.

I guess I don't believe he was AS good as others think from 2009 to 2015.. and I don't believe he was AS bad as we think since. I think both are a little closer to the middle than we want to believe.. we just had a few extra shots go in during those first years.
You are right, a couple tournament games did take the stink away from some bad regular seasons. Cal use to get the team amped for tournament time, nowadays the team is super tight for any big game. His approach and player relationship has seemed to be the biggest difference from then to now.

Personally I think Cal is washed, and I won’t keep hoping for some light bulb to go off for him. I will hope that these new guys are the real deal and take over games when need be.

Do we assume that the coach was Joel Justus?

Also, does Cal now cut out Tucker like he did MJ?
probably. the link to kyle tucker was through tj biesner. now that tj is gone to unc, that connection is gone. kyle was also close with joel i believe.

Reactions: wildcatdonf

I agree with your points about 2017 and 2019 but I think we also have to realize that was almost 7 and 5 years ago.

Yep there were red flags in the WVU game in 2010. Cal got outcoached and he panicked. That team should have gone the distance.

This post is so good. Also that quote from Samuel Johnson is incredible. Thanks for bringing that into my life!

Not sure about Cal, but 2015 certainly broke me as a fan.

Still haven't fully recovered from the shock and pain of losing that one.

Will likely take it to the grave with me.
I've recovered from that mostly. Still sucks. 2017 is he one that still hurts to me because we WERE the best team in America and we were robbed of a title thanks to a natiionally acknowledged (at least amongst the media) screwing

We know it has to stop. The writers know it has to stop. But I think the administration doesn't look at it the same way we do. And I know Calipari doesn't give two chits what the fans think about it all. What his goals are, and what the fans of the goals are, are two completely different things. The administration is caught in the middle and likely thinks "hey, we filled the position as best we could, he hasn't violated any rules, his contract will be up for discussion before too long".

At one time he wanted to be viewed as an elite coach. IMO he thought going to UK was his meal ticket to being an elite coach. After he got exposed I think he shifted his goals toward doing everything possible to get his players into the NBA, thinking of himself as some sort of saint. He probably thinks the college game crumbled around 2015, and that he arrived just in time to save the kids.

The writer has an agenda. He wrote an article to support his agenda.

He did a pretty good job of it too.

I first met Cal when he was at UMass.

Jersey Red introduced me.

He’s the same guy now.
Sooooo....five different people, are lying? Come on.

Take off the rose "Cal-erd" lenses and realize that he's not the same guy as he was in 2009. People do change over time. Especially as we age. That's a fact.

I'm glad a lot of this got said in a mainstream article. It gets it out into the open instead of all the "rumors" that were floating about, even here on the Rafters. It's out there. We acknowledge it. Heck, I even sympathize with Cal a bit. I've done similar stuff when depression or exhaustion hits. You can get more controlling and paranoid. It's human nature. You just can't take it out on other people and then say random thins to your bosses (Mitch and to a degree the fans). Say you're disappointed in your performance, not "I'm going home to pet my dogs". Say your burnt out, not "I gotta watch Little House". Yeah, those are funny quips.....IF you're winning. Just be open and clear with the fans and your staff. And especially so with all the stuff we've had going on in the program (losing Terrence, Ben Jordan's passing, Damion's dad dying, etc); showing vulnerability to a degree is not a bad thing. It makes you human and a better leader/person.

The man just has to get back to his winning ways. And listen to those folks around him. Welch and Antigua do care about him and want to help. The fans want to help and be there for the team. But he has to be open. I think we've seen a little bit of that over the offseaons (saying he's going to wear suits again, talking about not being "Kentucky good")

Heck, for all the griping I've done about him lately, I don't hate the man. If he can be Prime Cal again, I want him here. If he can't? Well, time to move on. That's really that simple. I want hime to be true swaggy Cal again. Damn it's fun when he is and we're kicking butt.

Last edited:
Losing Robic was more of a big deal than most people think IMO.

Martin and Welch are “more like Cal’s previous staffs,” said the fifth former staffer. “They’re more, ‘We’re here to win games. What do you need from us, Coach?’”

Hopefully these two on the staff will help "IF" Cal will listen to them.

At one time he wanted to be viewed as an elite coach. IMO he thought going to UK was his meal ticket to being an elite coach. After he got exposed I think he shifted his goals toward doing everything possible to get his players into the NBA, thinking of himself as some sort of saint. He probably thinks the college game crumbled around 2015, and that he arrived just in time to save the kids.
Plus he is a HOF Coach already, what is his motivation? Does he still have the fire to lead a Championship contender?

I would think his early success at UK inflated his ego and he thought it would be easy to keep the train rolling. But the game and players changed, and Cal kept to his old ways. When he saw titles weren’t going be rolling in, he shifted towards look at all these NBA guys. It was weird, I feel he hardly talks about winning titles anymore. It’s all about chasing dreams for kids.

I really feel this is his last chance. He couldn’t win with a more traditional roster. So, if he can’t win with the top OND players again; he ain’t winning anything.

I read that whole thing and never found one reference to The Rooferee.

I also thought this part was funny: “He picked fights with Kentucky’s athletic director, with the biggest radio personality in the state, and with the Wildcats’ wildly popular football coach”

I honestly thought he was talking about Tom Leach. He later reveals it was Matt Jones.

Who cares?

Kyle Tucker picks fights with people on Twitter. He and Matt Jones were made for each other.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT