ADVERTISEMENT

Guy on IU board

Incentive based contracts. Win sec regular season 250k bonus same with sec tourney. 1 million for a title base salary 5 years 35 40 million

The guy probably doesn’t really know anything but I believe if Jeff Sheppard could choose any other coach for Reed to play for, it would be Donovan. But that’s just my opinion
How about donovans mentor
rick injury GIF

I don’t believe the IU guy has any contacts whatsoever. But this would be the perfect time for a Donovan hire. The Bulls are going nowhere. if he makes it to next season then that’s probably his last there. This is the time. Bring him home.

Billy's wife does not like Lexington maybe she has changed but when they resided in Gainesville she publicly stated she did want to live in Lexington

IDK. I think the legend of Billy Donavon has grown past reality in some respects. Beyond the fact that he has turned us down repeatedly, when was the last time he actually coached a college game? I can also make the argument that he caught fire in a bottle with returning players for 2 years at Florida. I would also be leery of Mitch getting us into another ridiculous one-sided contract again just to land Donavon. If he comes, I will be supportive, but I don't think he is some instantaneous cure-all for what is hindering Kentucky basketball either.
Nothing will be instant even if we could get an in his prime Pat Riley
It will be a tough transition no matter what
We will lose a lot before we start winning

If I’m the AD I’m willing to take that chance
We need a fresh start all around

I do believe what Calipari wants to do, is part of the current equation & complexity. He's been miserable here the last 3-4 years. The game has changed... not just X/O's, but with NIL, and portal, and social media, college coaching is a 24/7/365 job. harder than ever. I do think Calipari is trying to decide if he wants to keep coaching. Change Jobs. Stay at UK as coach, or stay at UK as ambassador.

In the end, Mitch may decide to keep him or fire him. But I bet, Mitch would like to come to some kind of agreement with Calipari on a way forward that works for both parties.

Reactions: Fox2monk
My two cents:

1) Barnhart letting Calipari choose his own adventure on staying vs going? That’s the most “Barnhart” thing ever, so I could see that.

2) Donovan is our ship that will never come in. He was my dream coach in 07, 09 and still is. Perfect mix of competence and confidence. Not arrogant, but sure of himself. Of course you promise him the world if he’d come, but I couldn’t possibly imagine any scenario he comes back to college. He’s been in the NBA 17ish seasons now, right?
100% on both

Again, take this FWIW, Just a rando IU fan claiming shit. But he's saying this:

''Definitely not anything worth a ton…but I know someone fairly connected with UK bball…and he said it is a possibility…and he knows there are some very influential people that will “do whatever it takes” to make Billy Donovan happen…if Calipari is done.

He said it’s mostly Caliparis decision though at this point''.

''And my dude says he’s (Banhart) talking with Calipari about it. The implication was Calipari could talk his way in to keeping his job, but he’s not sure he’ll want to. And they’ll work on some sort of negotiated buyout''.
Cmon Richie, you posted Joes BS like it was true yesterday and now some random IU fan is a “source?” You gotta do better at vetting your “information” unless you’re just screwing with us.

Nothing will be instant even if we could get an in his prime Pat Riley
It will be a tough transition no matter what
We will lose a lot before we start winning

If I’m the AD I’m willing to take that chance
We need a fresh start all around
Jerome Tang started with two guys, built the rest of the team out of the portal, and made the Sweet 16 in in his first year. If we get the right coach we’ll be fine.

Cmon Richie, you posted Joes BS like it was true yesterday and now some random IU fan is a “source?” You gotta do better at vetting your “information” unless you’re just screwing with us.
I'll take anything at this point, man.

How is there going to be a "negotiated buyout"? Wasn't that already negotiated? From what I've seen here, if Cal chooses, he can retire, with pay. If he's fired, 33mil. What's left to negotiate?

Reactions: blubo
Don’t remotely think it will happen but it would be priceless to witness all the butthurt it would generate from u6 fans. he’s one of the coaches they really covet and pray for.

My two cents:

1) Barnhart letting Calipari choose his own adventure on staying vs going? That’s the most “Barnhart” thing ever, so I could see that.

2) Donovan is our ship that will never come in. He was my dream coach in 07, 09 and still is. Perfect mix of competence and confidence. Not arrogant, but sure of himself. Of course you promise him the world if he’d come, but I couldn’t possibly imagine any scenario he comes back to college. He’s been in the NBA 17ish seasons now, right?
That’s actually crazy, that he’s been out of college that long? The game is so different today, I just wonder how he would adjust now. Kids today are probably worse to recruit than they were in his day.

Last edited:
That’s actually crazy that he’s been out of college that long. The game is so different today, I just wonder how he would adjust now. Kids today are probably worse to recruit than they were in his day.
That guy is way off base. Donovan last coached in college in 2015. So almost 10 years (WTF?)

Reactions: Fox2monk
As an IU fan who wanted IU to go all in for Billy D the previous 2 hires.....IU never even made the call. Thats because IU prefers peeing with the puppies instead of barking with the big dogs. The university insiders know what they want in both places. At IU....they want very little. At Kentucky....they want to hold onto the honeymoon suite. There isn't a closer thing to a sure thing than Billy Donovan. He last coached in 2014 in college. He isn't out of the loop. I hate the thought of A. IU not getting Billy Donovan..and B. Kentucky landing him. But there isn't a better option anywhere than this guy.....with one possible exception......Jay Wright. Neither of these guys have expressed interest in college coaching....especially with NIL and the portal. But....programs that are positioned to benefit the most, like Kentucky....would get the choice of coach too. Timing is the other thing....I think if a college program is going to land Billy Donovan...it will be now. He's 58....and has one more gig to burn.

Again, take this FWIW, Just a rando IU fan claiming shit. But he's saying this:

''Definitely not anything worth a ton…but I know someone fairly connected with UK bball…and he said it is a possibility…and he knows there are some very influential people that will “do whatever it takes” to make Billy Donovan happen…if Calipari is done.

He said it’s mostly Caliparis decision though at this point''.

''And my dude says he’s (Banhart) talking with Calipari about it. The implication was Calipari could talk his way in to keeping his job, but he’s not sure he’ll want to. And they’ll work on some sort of negotiated buyout''.
I could get on board with that for sure if true.

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT