ADVERTISEMENT

Guy on IU board

RunninRichie

All-American
Sep 5, 2019
Again, take this FWIW, Just a rando IU fan claiming shit. But he's saying this:

''Definitely not anything worth a ton…but I know someone fairly connected with UK bball…and he said it is a possibility…and he knows there are some very influential people that will “do whatever it takes” to make Billy Donovan happen…if Calipari is done.

He said it’s mostly Caliparis decision though at this point''.

''And my dude says he’s (Banhart) talking with Calipari about it. The implication was Calipari could talk his way in to keeping his job, but he’s not sure he’ll want to. And they’ll work on some sort of negotiated buyout''.

''Definitely not anything worth a ton…but I know someone fairly connected with UK bball…and he said it is a possibility…and he knows there are some very influential people that will “do whatever it takes” to make Billy Donovan happen…if Calipari is done.

''And my dude says he’s (Banhart) talking with Calipari about it. The implication was Calipari could talk his way in to keeping his job, but he’s not sure he’ll want to. And they’ll work on some sort of negotiated buyout''.
Yeah I don’t believe it’s Cals decision lol because it sounds like everyone else is saying Cal is trying to save his ass and wants to stay

I won't believe any of this unless it's from a trusted "source", and not anyone from Indiana. Although oddly the timing could be literally ideal with the Bulls situation coming to a close right now. But even then, I'll let it play out and not hold my breath on it until there's more smoke from good locations.

The second part about Cal talking his way into keeping his job - I certainly hope Mitch just goes deer in the headlights while the car salesman is trying to sell his 1974 Ford Pinto for 6 times the blue book value. Surely Mitch is smart enough to have had enough of Cal's horsesh*t sales pitch over the years, especially since the last 4 years have produced NOTHING.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Yeah Donovan I’ll pass he had his chance and spurned us more then once. CAL on the HOT seat with most wanting him out and the money available to get rid of him.
You'll pass, until he actually says yes and then you'll do what? Moan and complain or accept him and be excited?

I'm not saying there's a chance heck he does, but just playing the scenario out against your "I'll pass" opinion.

I remember an interview years ago, where someone asked Donovan about turning down the UK job and he said something to the effect of “they didn’t try very hard” I imagine it was something like Mitch: “would you be interested in the job?” Donovan: “Well, I’m happy at my current job” (waiting for an offer) Mitch: Ok, then, nice talking to you 😂

My two cents:

1) Barnhart letting Calipari choose his own adventure on staying vs going? That’s the most “Barnhart” thing ever, so I could see that.

2) Donovan is our ship that will never come in. He was my dream coach in 07, 09 and still is. Perfect mix of competence and confidence. Not arrogant, but sure of himself. Of course you promise him the world if he’d come, but I couldn’t possibly imagine any scenario he comes back to college. He’s been in the NBA 17ish seasons now, right?

My two cents:

1) Barnhart letting Calipari choose his own adventure on staying vs going? That’s the most “Barnhart” thing ever, so I could see that.

2) Donovan is our ship that will never come in. He was my dream coach in 07, 09 and still is. Perfect mix of competence and confidence. Not arrogant, but sure of himself. Of course you promise him the world if he’d come, but I couldn’t possibly imagine any scenario he comes back to college. He’s been in the NBA 17ish seasons now, right?
17ish not so successful seasons. He was a much better college coach and I think he realizes it

IDK. I think the legend of Billy Donavon has grown past reality in some respects. Beyond the fact that he has turned us down repeatedly, when was the last time he actually coached a college game? I can also make the argument that he caught fire in a bottle with returning players for 2 years at Florida. I would also be leery of Mitch getting us into another ridiculous one-sided contract again just to land Donavon. If he comes, I will be supportive, but I don't think he is some instantaneous cure-all for what is hindering Kentucky basketball either.

What’s the number of times he has to turn down UK? Number of times no one noticed he has been coaching in the NBA for years and must like it?

You’d have to have the back end of Billy’s ~17 yrs at Florida. From 1996-2005 it was about like Cal here now , then back to back titles and the faucet opened . Average yr was elite 8 from 2006-2012.

Reactions: Fox2monk

And that “IU guy“ probably thinks Billy is at Florida, Stevens is coaching the Celtics and Wright is at Villanova.

• Haha
Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
Donovan's Bulls are currently 34-37.

If he's gonna move back to college, his last window is probably after this job.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Yeah, I feel like this is going to be way more collaborative than combative. There are not many people with more power than Cal and MB, at UK, or as a combo in all of college sports.

MB being one of the most respected and powerful ADs, Cal being one of the biggest name brand coaches.

Any other place an AD could boot a coach with ease, and University President could boot both. There are some places where the coach is so big he can bump an AD, or at least keep him at bay. Not here. We have a couple titans who are essentially at a stalemate.

People have never fully comprehended who and what MB is. His personality is deceiving. Ya boy is a real one, he's top dog at UK and he even has weight in SEC and college sports in general. He is a sought man amongst big ballers.

I have zero faith in Mitch ending the Cal era. If he actually does, I don't know if we can afford to wait on a current NBA coach. That's at least 3 more weeks unless they would step down sooner. We have to get going on recruiting the transfer portal and try and maintain some signees if the future coach wants them. I believe the start of the portal is about the same time as the NBA regular season ends. So there would be no time to try and recruit those players if they are signing with a new team right away.

Throw at $100 million 10 year deal at some of these big name coaches and make them say no.
And then you're staring down the barrel of another massive buyout when everyone realizes the college game has passed those guys buy with NIL and the transfer portal. Did we learn nothing from Cal's contract?

Throw at $100 million 10 year deal at some of these big name coaches and make them say no.
Brad Steven's is the only coach you throw that money too . Be nice to find a coach,who cant stand cal,and be a good quality coach, so we could bring him in.

Donovan isn’t coming to Kentucky. The guy despises us. Let’s not do this again.

Reactions: TexKat
And then you're staring down the barrel of another massive buyout when everyone realizes the college game has passed those guys buy with NIL and the transfer portal. Did we learn nothing from Cal's contract?

I don't know many good coaches that are independent contractors willing to work on a 6 month+ contract at UK, lol. But we could hit the database and look!

Reactions: Fox2monk

He’s playing with you; Like you’ve been messing with them over the years.

I don't know many good coaches that are independent contractors willing to work on a 6 month+ contract at UK, lol. But we could hit the database and look!
I'm not saying that. But a 10 year $100 million contract to a guy who hasn't coached a college game in almost two decades is absurd. You can still find a good coach with a much less risky contract. If you give that contract to someone and it doesn't work out you're looking at like $12 million per year in just former coach's buyouts. That's literally the doomsday scenario.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT