ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

Hitting your drive 170 yds is absolutely wrong, unless you’re 80 years old.

That's a smooth 8 iron for me. I play with an older friend who, because of several shoulder surgeries, can only make about a 3/5 swing. He hits his driver about 180-200. 170 is realllllllly short.

Good news, finally have gotten my swing speed back to 110-115 and accurately. Bad news, now I cannot hit my irons consistently. GD, I love and hate this game....

Reactions: parrott and KRJ1975
Have you ever taken golf lessons and if so did they really help you? My game is decent but not great and I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter enough to spend money on it. However, I have a young daughter (10) who has recently fell in love with golf and wants to go all the time. Would it be beneficial to get her lessons? She would love to get a golf scholarship and I would love it too.

I thought about Man O War golf but we are a couple of hours away so it would be a pretty good drive to do lessons.

Any good golf web sites with plenty of coverage of all the tours? Outside of PGA.com?
ESPN's site is an embarrassment. I read some blogs but not what you'd get from a website that should have all the data in one spot.

Any good golf web sites with plenty of coverage of all the tours? Outside of PGA.com?
ESPN's site is an embarrassment. I read some blogs but not what you'd get from a website that should have all the data in one spot.

Golf.com
PGATour.com
Golfdigest.com

Have you ever taken golf lessons and if so did they really help you? My game is decent but not great and I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter enough to spend money on it. However, I have a young daughter (10) who has recently fell in love with golf and wants to go all the time. Would it be beneficial to get her lessons? She would love to get a golf scholarship and I would love it too.

I thought about Man O War golf but we are a couple of hours away so it would be a pretty good drive to do lessons.

Yes get her some lessons before she develops bad swing habits. Myra Blackwelder still gives lessons as far as I know. Your daughter may be more comfortable with a female teaching her. Will be a bit expensive though.

^^^Tennye Ohr teaches at MOW....$100/hr. She is probably their best overall teacher and works w/ many juniors in the area.

Always recommend anyone to get lessons. Especially kids who are learning the game. Its not cheap but pays huge dividends if you find a good instructor versus learning nasty habits that are very hard to correct the older you get. BTW, if your daughter ends up wanting to really play the game and not move on to something else as she gets older and becomes pretty good at it, the scholarship opportunities are tremendous. The money spent on lessons, etc. will pay off.

She has just been going to the range with the middle school team for a few months and practicing. After practice last night the coach asked her to play in a match today with the middle school team. She is only in 5th grade so she is a little nervous about playing with 7th and 8th grade kids but I just tried to reassure her that she will be fine and to just go have fun and learn from the experience.

Reactions: FargenBastich
I gotta brag a little bit on my daughter. They played circle 8's to speed it up but she still shot 65 through 9 in her first match. Not bad for a 10 year old who has only been playing less than a year. She really could have broken 60 if her putting would have been better. She has to work on that part of her game for sure.

I gotta brag a little bit on my daughter. They played circle 8's to speed it up but she still shot 65 through 9 in her first match. Not bad for a 10 year old who has only been playing less than a year. She really could have broken 60 if her putting would have been better. She has to work on that part of her game for sure.

What's "circle 8's"?

Put the Mizuno MP14's back in the bag last week. They're beat all to hell with chatter but the grooves are in excellent shape. I've always hit them pretty good and I guess it's because the head is so small next to the ball that it makes me pay better attention to what I'm doing.

Put the Mizuno MP14's back in the bag last week. They're beat all to hell with chatter but the grooves are in excellent shape. I've always hit them pretty good and I guess it's because the head is so small next to the ball that it makes me pay better attention to what I'm doing.

I had a set of mizuno irons back when I played; best set of irons ever!! If I ever start playing again, I will definitely have a look at mizuno irons again.

Reactions: ymmot31

If you haven't, sharpen your grooves. I did mine a couple weeks ago and got more spin especially on short pitches and chips.

Reactions: ymmot31
What's "circle 8's"?

I guess for young kids they play Circle 8's so if they haven't gotten the ball in the hole after the 8th shot they pick up the ball and put an 8 with a circle on the scorecard. It is to help speed up the game and not crush a kids confidence by shooting 15 or 20 on a whole. I am wondering if I should start playing that way. :joy::joy:

Last edited:
I guess for young kids they play Circle 8's so if they haven't gotten the ball in the hole after the 8th shot they pick up the ball and put an 8 with a circle on the scorecard. It is to help speed up the game and not crush a kids confidence by shooting 15 or 20 on a whole. I am wondering if I should start playing that way. :joy::joy:

Gotcha.

Hell I play that way now sometimes except we call it "no more than a snowman". Luckily I don't get as many 8's as I used to.

My daughter is 11 so around the same age. I've taken her to the driving range a few times and she'll ride around in the cart with me when I play 9. Bought her clubs and everything but she's not that interested in playing, she just likes hanging out with me. So I don't push it since I don't want her to resent the time we spend together and just let her do what she wants.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
Those new Mizuno MP 20’s are beautiful. Mizuno’s are the one brand I see in good golfers bags that have the center worn out because they refuse to get rid of them for a new set. Played with a friend a few weeks ago who is still playing with the MP60’s. Shot a 66... AHole

I went to Titleist irons but seriously thinking about going back to Mizuno.

Broke down and bought some hybrids.

6-9 woods

They’ve taken 5 strokes off my game.

(Weak, 170 yard driving old man...)

Gotcha.

Hell I play that way now sometimes except we call it "no more than a snowman". Luckily I don't get as many 8's as I used to.

My daughter is 11 so around the same age. I've taken her to the driving range a few times and she'll ride around in the cart with me when I play 9. Bought her clubs and everything but she's not that interested in playing, she just likes hanging out with me. So I don't push it since I don't want her to resent the time we spend together and just let her do what she wants.

My wife thinks that is why my daughter has taken to it because it's time we can spend together. We played 9 holes Saturday and after we came home she went out in the yard and hit range balls into the net for another 30-45 minutes to work on her swing.

Those new Mizuno MP 20’s are beautiful. Mizuno’s are the one brand I see in good golfers bags that have the center worn out because they refuse to get rid of them for a new set. Played with a friend a few weeks ago who is still playing with the MP60’s. Shot a 66... AHole

I went to Titleist irons but seriously thinking about going back to Mizuno.

I'm waiting on my club to get the new Mizuno irons in and then I'm going to hit the MP20 MMC and HMB as well as the T100 and T200 from Titlesit. My last two sets have been Mizuno (MP58 and MP 54) and I have loved both of them, but I'm open to a change because there's so much new technology out there now.

I'm waiting on my club to get the new Mizuno irons in and then I'm going to hit the MP20 MMC and HMB as well as the T100 and T200 from Titlesit. My last two sets have been Mizuno (MP58 and MP 54) and I have loved both of them, but I'm open to a change because there's so much new technology out there now.
MP54 are the best irons I have had to date. Shafts became too heavy (back issues) and was more expensive to replace the shafts than just buy a new set of irons. Mistakenly went to the AP’1s thinking I needed the help but could not work the ball at all. Switched to the AP2’s and have been “meh” with them.

Tried all of the MP20 line yesterday at the range. Best feeling irons I have hit. Was able to work the ball well with the HMB which is always tough with a “game improvement” iron. Would love to play blades but honestly why when you can get a club that looks like one but also allows more forgiveness and goes further. Mizuno really hit the mark with these irons. Great players irons that gives us 3 really good options.

Broke down and bought some hybrids.

6-9 woods

They’ve taken 5 strokes off my game.

(Weak, 170 yard driving old man...)

I have you beat. Currently carry 5,7,9 in the bag and another that makes up for a 4/5 iron. Forgot what it is. But agree 100%. This old 52 year old has sliced big time strokes off my otherwise shitty game. Even got the little illegal chipping club. Deadly from the fringe with that bad boy. Now if i could just find a hybrid putter, lol, I will be scratch in no time. Did not miss a green yesterday on par 3's. However, I do hit my 8 degree Callaway driver around 200-210. it is a old Bertha driver, picked it up at Goodwill in Hopkinsville for $6.95. true story.

Man, the Bull isn’t in good shape.

Played it this morning for the first time this year. Won’t be back.

The food was pretty damn good though.

Was it dried out? What was up?

Greens and tee boxes are in rough shape. #12 green needs to be completely blown up and redone - crab grass and dead spots everywhere. Lots of dead spots on several other greens.

On the plus side it was only $21. I’ll be sticking to Marriott and Moss Hill the rest of the year.

Reactions: cawoodsct
Cog Hill #4 Dubsdread is a helluva track. 85 from the blues. Game rounding back into form just in time for winter.

Reactions: KRJ1975
This really opened my eyes and illustrates just how good these guys are (even the “scrubs”). Crazy pins, but probably just another day for them.

image0.jpg

Other than 7,8,15,18, leave the approach short of the flag and leave a uphill putt. Easier said than done, but those pins are crazy and would be very risky to attack the pins on those holes. Mr. Obvious, but it is how I would think they play it.

Tiger really has the body of a 50-60
Year old. Think that win in Augusta will prove to have been even more Epic than we all think now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT