ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

Got in 18 at the Golf Club of the Bluegrass today. Course was in surprisingly good shape for end of March. Zero roll in the fairway today. If you hit it it 180 or 280 on the fly then that’s all you got.

Now we need the weather to cooperate so we can all get out and play some more.

Probably going to see our friends at Golf Headquarters in Louisville this weekend. Driver, 3-Wood, couple hybrids, irons and new wedges...the works. My only slight hesitation is I wish I was able to actually do the fitting outside, but as a 13 Hcp just getting fitted with some new technology will probably help to some degree. Either way it will be a nice overhaul on 10yr old equipment that served me well.

Anyone know if there is any negotiation on any of the pricing if you plan to pay cash all at once?

Probably going to see our friends at Golf Headquarters in Louisville this weekend. Driver, 3-Wood, couple hybrids, irons and new wedges...the works. My only slight hesitation is I wish I was able to actually do the fitting outside, but as a 13 Hcp just getting fitted with some new technology will probably help to some degree. Either way it will be a nice overhaul on 10yr old equipment that served me well.

Anyone know if there is any negotiation on any of the pricing if you plan to pay cash all at once?
JMO, I would not get fitted in an indoor area only. I am a big believer being outside and actually seeing the true ball flight and distance than relying on a launch monitor only. That said, there are many great fitters who can dial you in indoors so if the fitter is really good then it should do the trick for you.

About the negotiating part, not sure as I have never done it. Keep in mind most folks pay for equipment in full so I am not sure how willing the shop will be to cut you a deal. I have been lucky enough to know folks in the business who have hooked me up with their rates over the years so I have saved no telling how much on equipment.

BTW, have to admit the ladies major was pretty exciting to watch. Playoff was as good as it gets and I rarely ever watch women's golf.

Reactions: anon_aawvduncd4ay0
BTW, have to admit the ladies major was pretty exciting to watch. Playoff was as good as it gets and I rarely ever watch women's golf.

I watched it last night and then the highlights a few minutes ago. Those two ladies made about 3 miles each of pressure putts, it was a hell of a show. The lady that won had never won an LPGA event and yet got up and down about 5 or 6 times yesterday to save par. Really good stuff.

Buddy just left Augusta National. Said the new merchandise building is amazing. Spent $1200 in there. Also saw Tiger on the range. Said he was shaping the ball at will and looked really good. Most relaxed he has ever seen Tiger (he goes to a ton of golf events). Of course, he is a huge Freddy fan so was glued on him most the time. Nothing like spending a day at Augusta.... So glad I was able to see Arnie there his final year with us.

Reactions: USSLair
Anybody know of any good instructional videos or tips to prevent chunking or thinning your irons? Nothing pisses me off more than a perfect drive in the middle of the fairway followed by a 50 yd iron shot that doesn't get more than 20 ft off the ground.

Anybody know of any good instructional videos or tips to prevent chunking or thinning your irons? Nothing pisses me off more than a perfect drive in the middle of the fairway followed by a 50 yd iron shot that doesn't get more than 20 ft off the ground.

Get fitted for your irons if you haven't already.

Best decision I ever made.

Reactions: Rex Kwon Do

Got fitted for some M2 irons last year. I love them, but I'm hit or miss with them. When I hit it well, it's a thing of beauty, but I've gotta eliminate the chunks and thin shots. As someone told me once, golf is all about good misses.

Maybe i just suck, lol.

Yep, I went in last year with 2 sets on my mind, but willing to try anything. I wanted Ping i200’s or Callaway Apex. Hit both fine, but I was flat striping the Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metals. I also hit Titleist AP’s and TaylorMades. You just never know what will work till you have hit them.

Reactions: USSLair
I took 5 strokes off my HC after watching this.

I took 5 strokes off my HC after watching this.

2853581-6591939441-54dc3.jpg

Keep your spine angle consistent thru the swing, and keep your head level (no dipping or raising at impact) Thank me later

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
Getting rid of my hybrid, which I absolutely despise, and just purchased this son of a bitch. I hadn't been paying much attention, and just notice they started making driving irons again the last couple years. A God send for those of us who just don't like hybrids.

AL419_zoom_D.jpg

Getting rid of my hybrid, which I absolutely despise, and just purchased this son of a bitch. I hadn't been paying much attention, and just notice they started making driving irons again the last couple years. A God send for those of us who just don't like hybrids.

AL419_zoom_D.jpg
hybrids are great once you master them to get a nice backspin stick on the green.

Might be in the market for a new driver. What's good and hot out there?

Picked up a Taylormade M2 earlier this year. Easily the best driver I've ever played, but I'll admit I haven't tried a ton. Lots of forgiveness. Many pros use them.

TM-M2-Driver.jpg

Keep your spine angle consistent thru the swing, and keep your head level (no dipping or raising at impact) Thank me later
Maybe he already does those extra two things you gave him to think about. The fix could be as simple as ball placement at address. If you're hitting it thin, move the ball back in your stance a little at a time until you stop hitting it thin. If you start hitting it fat then you've gone to far.

All I want is a Saturday warm enough to play 18 holes in the morning, then come home sit on the deck with a cooler of cold ones and some tunes. Is that too much to ask.
if-mother-nature-would-stop-with-this-bullshit-that-would-31355837.png

If you live in Lexington, the answer is emphatically YES, that is asking too damn much!

Might be in the market for a new driver. What's good and hot out there?

I'm done buying brand new drivers. The yearly upgrade isn't worth the premium price. I've found the best value is getting last year's model used at 50%+ discount.

With that said I'd look at:

Callaway Epic
Callaway Epic Sub Zero
Taylor Made M1 or M2
Ping G, Ping G LS Tec or Ping G SF Tec, depending on your needs.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
Maybe he already does those extra two things you gave him to think about. The fix could be as simple as ball placement at address. If you're hitting it thin, move the ball back in your stance a little at a time until you stop hitting it thin. If you start hitting it fat then you've gone to far.

That's true also. So many factors. Maybe he doesn't have enough bounce on his wedge, or his forward press negates the bounce. Golf is a fascinating, rewarding, and frustrating game.

Thanks for the excellent tip. Have been catching my irons a little thin as of late, and today I put the ball slightly back in my stance and caught almost everything flush. Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT