ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

It’s gonna take a good hunk of cash up front to make it playable again. It’s a shame because it was super convenient to work and home and me and my buddy could get around in 2.5 hrs most weekdays. Perfect late afternoon weekday work bailout.

Yep. Probably looking at 2019 before it’s back in good shape. The longer this drags on the longer and harder it will be.

Reactions: JohnKBA
Yeah, on second thought I was a bit too harsh on Tiger. He's certainly reached a level of greatness that will command respect the rest of his life. And he's not the first golfer who had a meteoric career but faded in their mid-30s. Age at time of last major: Gene Sarazen (33), Byron Nelson (33), Arnold Palmer (34).

Palmer's game and charisma at his peak changed the game. So did Tiger's.

But these last few years it's becoming obvious the nextgen golfers are taking over and have no fear of Wood's game (Justin, Jordan, Dustin, Jason, Roy, etc).

Why would they be scared of him ? He has been injured, personal life wrecked, and played like shit. I mean a guy firing 78's is not going to scare guys like Ben Crane or Harry English. I just pulled two random guys out of my ass there, but you get the point. I want Tiger to make a comeback. Not a Tiger fan at all, but when greatness fades, it sucks watching them fail after they have been so flawless.

Re: Andover, if I was the city, I'd sell Lakeside to a developer for a small fortune, take the money and buy and restore Andover, and you'd probably have plenty of plenty of money left over for a restoration of Picadome, practice facility at Tates Creek, First Tee/short course at Kearney, etc.

Re: Andover, if I was the city, I'd sell Lakeside to a developer for a small fortune, take the money and buy and restore Andover, and you'd probably have plenty of plenty of money left over for a restoration of Picadome, practice facility at Tates Creek, First Tee/short course at Kearney, etc.

Great idea and it was a proposal a while back but shot down by the HOA's.

Fwiw...I would switch Lakeside and Creek. New economical homes are needed in the TC area and that course is a disaster anyway.

Reactions: tfields01
How very Andover-like of the HOAs to think their backyards could be sullied by the general public.

Their delusions are the reason why AGCC is belly-up right now. If they want an actual golf course in their backyards, and not a barely mown field, then going public is their best option. Greenbrier is better, and already cleaned up on AGCC's departed membership. Keene is an awesome facility and only getting better, and Spring Valley remains probably the best value in private golf anywhere. Andover as a club is gone and the city, or some other public option, is the only way it ever becomes a golf course again.

How very Andover-like of the HOAs to think their backyards could be sullied by the general public.

Their delusions are the reason why AGCC is belly-up right now. If they want an actual golf course in their backyards, and not a barely mown field, then going public is their best option. Greenbrier is better, and already cleaned up on AGCC's departed membership. Keene is an awesome facility and only getting better, and Spring Valley remains probably the best value in private golf anywhere. Andover as a club is gone and the city, or some other public option, is the only way it ever becomes a golf course again.

All true...pretty baffling why common sense takes a back door to the pretentious mindset.

I need that new TM M3/M4 driver. That way I can start crushing it 350+ on a dime and miss hole-in-one Par 4's by 5 inches like Dustin Johnson. I mean, according to TM and every other golf manufacturer that claims 15-20 yards more with each driver they release, shouldn't we all be hitting that far by now??

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
Great idea and it was a proposal a while back but shot down by the HOA's.

Fwiw...I would switch Lakeside and Creek. New economical homes are needed in the TC area and that course is a disaster anyway.
That was the rumor back in the summer; that city and bank would swap courses. City run Andover and bank could develop TC and make some money.

Mark, you all get any updates after the mediation.

I need that new TM M3/M4 driver. That way I can start crushing it 350+ on a dime and miss hole-in-one Par 4's by 5 inches like Dustin Johnson. I mean, according to TM and every other golf manufacturer that claims 15-20 yards more with each driver they release, shouldn't we all be hitting that far by now??

Great post. If I added 15 yards every year since I started golfing with the newest 1 on the market, Id be hitting it 750 right now.

Greens are trapped where I play. Temperatures will head down again on Friday so they just decided to leave the tarps on. Spring can’t get here fast enough for me.

McIlroy on playing with Tiger last month:

“I was on my way there worrying thinking, ‘what will I see?’, but it was incredible,” McIlroy told Telegraph Sport. “My dad [Gerry] also played with us and we both couldn’t believe it. I remember mouthing to Dad, ‘WTF?’. And on the drive home afterwards, we said: ‘Where the hell did that come from?’ Tiger was that good; playing every shot, not having to hold back.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/golf/2018/01/12/rory-mcilroy-different-tiger-can-stun-world/

Reactions: Fox2monk
Watching the Sony Open is messed up now. The technicians went on strike before the last round today and they only have a couple hand held cameras and the guys in the studio are having to announce it.

technicians strike

Booked an appointment for 2/17, Taylormade fitting day at GG, to get fitted into a shiny new M3/M4. [banana]

Went up to the Cincy boat show today and was pleasantly surprised to find out they were also having a golf show in the same place.

Boats, campers, and golf. It was a very good day.

And the Golf Channel's biggest nightmare continues as the day their crew walks out they go at least 6 playoff holes.

As a way OT comment, the one and only time I ever saw a live wildcat was at Champions Pointe the same day we played Louisville in 2008. Played at CP in the AM and then went to the game that UK won 27-2. Anyway, we are standing on one of the tees when out of the bush walks what I first thought was the biggest cat I ever saw, then I noticed the ears and the tail, or lack thereof, and sure enough, Mr. Bobcat himself strolled right in front of us and on into the next thicket. Really cool especially as it turned out to be a very positive omen of the afternoon ass whipping.

Why would they be scared of him ? He has been injured, personal life wrecked, and played like shit. I mean a guy firing 78's is not going to scare guys like Ben Crane or Harry English. I just pulled two random guys out of my ass there, but you get the point. I want Tiger to make a comeback. Not a Tiger fan at all, but when greatness fades, it sucks watching them fail after they have been so flawless.

The PGA is as good as it has ever been but Tiger still won player of the year in 2013 so when healthy he can still get it done. They would fear him if he gets his game back together however unlikely that is.

McIlroy on playing with Tiger last month:

“I was on my way there worrying thinking, ‘what will I see?’, but it was incredible,” McIlroy told Telegraph Sport. “My dad [Gerry] also played with us and we both couldn’t believe it. I remember mouthing to Dad, ‘WTF?’. And on the drive home afterwards, we said: ‘Where the hell did that come from?’ Tiger was that good; playing every shot, not having to hold back.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/golf/2018/01/12/rory-mcilroy-different-tiger-can-stun-world/

Its all.about his mental side now but at his tournament he looked great. His ball speed was still 178 so he can still rip it.

Dumbest thing you’ve done on a golf course with your equipment?

I know of a couple folks in this thread who’ve gotten a little haywire. One threw his whole bags clubs and all off a bridge into the water on a course in Florida. Another deposited his Bettinardi putter into a thicket of trees.

As for me, I snapped a GBB driver over my thigh. For the record, graphite is tough and lift a shaft size bruise across my thigh for a couple weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT