ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

Spieths preshot helps with trying not to get stuck in the downswing. I have the same issue that pops up once in awhile and I came up with a similar drill on my own that helped.

Have an old range finder, and thinking of buying a newer one with slope adjustment on it. Question: For a 12 HCP semi hacker, does knowing slope tell you all that much? Price is not all that different, but have never had one so curious as to what if any help it lends.

Have an old range finder, and thinking of buying a newer one with slope adjustment on it. Question: For a 12 HCP semi hacker, does knowing slope tell you all that much? Price is not all that different, but have never had one so curious as to what if any help it lends.
If you are good enough to need a 5 yard difference in distance, get the one with slope. I have never been given a slope yardage that was more than 5 yards off what I had with my non-slope range finder.
It never made me adjust my club. but I am a 10-11 handy like you.

If you are good enough to need a 5 yard difference in distance, get the one with slope. I have never been given a slope yardage that was more than 5 yards off what I had with my non-slope range finder.
It never made me adjust my club. but I am a 10-11 handy like you.
May not be something that effects you. But most tournaments don’t allow the lasers with slope or other features. At least they didn’t use to.

May not be something that effects you. But most tournaments don’t allow the lasers with slope or other features. At least they didn’t use to.
My daughter plays on the high school team and they aren't allowed to use one with the slope feature even if it's turned off. With that said I am sure a lot of them do but unless someone calls them out on it they can get away with it.

LPGA at Rancho Palos Verdes Estates this weekend, one of the better places on the Southern California coast, have not played the course they will, but have played Trump National and it is a damn fine golf course. Right across from Catalina Island, sometimes you can get distracted from golf when a pod of whales surfaces.

This Saudi tour is going to be filled up by older players who know their days of winning on the PGA Tour are over or journeymen who struggled to win in the first place. They need their money grab now before their age completely catches up to them. Seems to be a bridge from the PGA Tour to the Champions. I can't see it being successful but if they can get a few younger studs to take the cash grab it may gain some traction. Guys like Sergio are has beens that will not be missed on the PGA Tour. Pretty sure they can care less if he and others rumored to go leave. Too much young and more marketable talent on tour now or will be joining soon.

Reactions: Tskware
Too much young and more marketable talent on tour now or will be joining soon.

That is definitely not true.

Better younger talent, definitely, but outside of the golf world, those guys aren't exactly household names, largely due to the tour doing a piss poor job in putting their faces out there. For example, Scheffler should be the face of golf right now and people wouldn't know him from Adam unless you followed the sport.

People may not miss Sergio, but the PGA tour will.

That is definitely not true.

Better younger talent, definitely, but outside of the golf world, those guys aren't exactly household names, largely due to the tour doing a piss poor job in putting their faces out there. For example, Scheffler should be the face of golf right now and people wouldn't know him from Adam unless you followed the sport.

People may not miss Sergio, but the PGA tour will.
I have to agree that the average non golf fan would recognize older players like Phil, Tiger and heck to an extent even guys who haven't been in the top 10 in years like a Ricky Fowler or John Daly over great young players like Scheffler, Hovland, Morikowa or Cam Smith.

Anyone going to the Barbasol this year? Since it is prior to The Open instead of the same week and the last chance to qualify for the Open I assume there will be some bigger names there this year.

Anyone going to the Barbasol this year? Since it is prior to The Open instead of the same week and the last chance to qualify for the Open I assume there will be some bigger names there this year.
Every day or three at least

Last year had the best field we have had and as you say, with an auto invite to the winner to the British Open should be even better this year

Reactions: Creed Bratton
Every day or three at least

Last year had the best field we have had and as you say, with an auto invite to the winner to the British Open should be even better this year
I saw Josh Teater tweet he had been given a sponsor exemption so looks like a local boy will be in the field.

I saw Josh Teater tweet he had been given a sponsor exemption so looks like a local boy will be in the field.
He has played every year I think, his mother is a secretary at a big law firm in town, he always brings a contingent of local fans

OT, did anyone watch the PGA event at TPC Avenel this weekend? Thought that was the most contrived awful looking course I have seen in a while, no wonder they drew a weak field and the PGA eventually cancelled the event held there. Really bad weather did not help to say the least.

OT, did anyone watch the PGA event at TPC Avenel this weekend? Thought that was the most contrived awful looking course I have seen in a while, no wonder they drew a weak field and the PGA eventually cancelled the event held there. Really bad weather did not help to say the least.

That course has a lot of history. It didn't help this year w/ the temporary move from Quail Hollow, which normally has one of the best non-major fields of the season. I think most of the players were picking their spots...playing Byron this week or taking extra time to head into what will be a brutal test at Southern Hills.

Reactions: KYExtemper
I watched and it was a pretty miserable tournament with all the rain. Poor Jason Day had a meltdown on Saturday with 5 bogeys, a double bogey and a triple bogey. He went from being up by 3 strokes to down 7 in 1 day.

I watched and it was a pretty miserable tournament with all the rain. Poor Jason Day had a meltdown on Saturday with 5 bogeys, a double bogey and a triple bogey. He went from being up by 3 strokes to down 7 in 1 day.

And just that morning, I had read an interview where he was touting his new swing, how much better it feels, etc. Bad karma bit him it seems

Reactions: Creed Bratton
I'm reminded of how much I hate the move of the PGA Championship to May. I much preferred the PGA TOUR schedule when there was no FedEx Cup, no wraparound schedule, etc. You just play all the way to the TOUR Championship where the top 30 in earnings got in.

Disagree...love this. You have a top tour event and/or a major from Jan thru Sept. A few tourney's to start the "season" beginning in Oct and these are huge for those looking to keep their cards and get a jump on the year.

Why complain about having quality golf 10 months out of the year?

Disagree...love this. You have a top tour event and/or a major from Jan thru Sept. A few tourney's to start the "season" beginning in Oct and these are huge for those looking to keep their cards and get a jump on the year.

Why complain about having quality golf 10 months out of the year?
Because the Open Championship ends the majors (thereby denting whatever the PGA had going for it with "Glory's Last Shot") and there's been no appreciable boost in ratings since the advent of the FedEx Cup. That is why the FedEx Cup is now three events instead of the four that the PGA TOUR started with. So what it has led to is people just tuning in for a few short months and checking out by July. Golf is not set up for a contrived playoff system and it doesn't need one. It's like how NASCAR leaned into the Chase for the Cup and it wrecked itself in the process.

Even most golf fans that I know check out between Labor Day and January. All the top players campaigned for this schedule but all they really wanted to do was time off to play for appearance fees elsewhere around the world.

It's also caused a weird reshuffling of the schedule with tournaments and such and made a mess of a lot of things. Just not a fan of all the tweaks that have been made to the TOUR, something that might get worse with the rise of the LIV series of tournaments that Greg Norman and the Saudis are behind.

Because the Open Championship ends the majors (thereby denting whatever the PGA had going for it with "Glory's Last Shot") and there's been no appreciable boost in ratings since the advent of the FedEx Cup. That is why the FedEx Cup is now three events instead of the four that the PGA TOUR started with. So what it has led to is people just tuning in for a few short months and checking out by July. Golf is not set up for a contrived playoff system and it doesn't need one. It's like how NASCAR leaned into the Chase for the Cup and it wrecked itself in the process.

Even most golf fans that I know check out between Labor Day and January. All the top players campaigned for this schedule but all they really wanted to do was time off to play for appearance fees elsewhere around the world.

It's also caused a weird reshuffling of the schedule with tournaments and such and made a mess of a lot of things. Just not a fan of all the tweaks that have been made to the TOUR, something that might get worse with the rise of the LIV series of tournaments that Greg Norman and the Saudis are behind.

The FedEx was moved to 3 events inc. the Tour Championship to insure all players looking to get into the top 30 played each event, where before you would have the leaders sitting out the first one, for example.

I go to East Lake each year and it is a blast. One of the most historic courses in the country and the players love it there, plus the very nice pay day.

The reshuffling of the schedule is not weird nor did it make a mess out of anything. It sounds like you just hate golf after the summer.....some of us love it year round.

The FedEx was moved to 3 events inc. the Tour Championship to insure all players looking to get into the top 30 played each event, where before you would have the leaders sitting out the first one, for example.

I go to East Lake each year and it is a blast. One of the most historic courses in the country and the players love it there, plus the very nice pay day.

The reshuffling of the schedule is not weird nor did it make a mess out of anything. It sounds like you just hate golf after the summer.....some of us love it year round.
My oldest daughter lives about 10 minutes from TPC Southwind. I am considering going for a visit with her and watching the Saturday round of the St Jude while we are there.

Reactions: cole854
The golf schedule as it is now is a great schedule, imo. More meaningful golf with less competition from other major sports.

I preferred The Players in May but overall schedule is good. Always going to be a few dud tournaments each year and only so many elite players that can play in them. FedEx Playoffs sounded like a great idea but has never done much for me. Does help the tour some with football starting get the main attention by late Aug.

If there is one good thing about the TOUR schedule it's that Kentucky has that Barbasol event, which I always have fun going to. The weather just never wants to cooperate for it, though.

Eh? My argument is that I liked the old calendar when you had the TOUR Championship in November. When the season started logically in January and didn't do this wrap around nonsense.

What gets lost in the FedEx push is that its been bad for players trying to get starts if they aren't in the top tier. That was an issue in the late 1990s when the WGC events started and it's only gotten worse since that time. And even the WGCs are getting toyed with too much in the scheduling as we're now down to just two of them. World Cup doesn't exist anymore and the TOUR doesn't go to Firestone anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT