ADVERTISEMENT

Givony updated NBA mock draft (5/22)

M

My point was: Perception of anything determines ones opinion.
It just an opinion.
Financial advisors offer various and different opinions.
Stocks. bonds, annuities, etc.
It's all relative.

Production is a measurable fact.

Potential is the variable and a matter of opinion for which I say Edwards has very little due to limited athleticism. Surely most people agree.

If you agree, then there really is no discernable reason he's drafted over Reeves except representation which absolutely makes a difference. We saw it before with UK guys.

Production is a measurable fact.

Potential is the variable and a matter of opinion for which I say Edwards has very little due to limited athleticism. Surely most people agree.

If you agree, then there really is no discernable reason he's drafted over Reeves except representation which absolutely makes a difference. We saw it before with UK guys.
Too cerebral.

Dillingham will be closer to Nate Robinson or Isaiah Thomas (Boston, Detroit IT) than Iverson or Young. Shepherd will be more like CJ McCollum or Austin Reeves.

Meaning they will both make over 100 mil in career earnings.
Possibly. Thats their ceiling. They could also one or both flop and be relegated to the G-league. I hope not, but both are relatively unproven. They’ve shown flashes of potential but that’s it. Major defensive and decision making issues. An unwillingness to be agressive on offense for Sheppard and a lack of physicality for Rob, both of which can change. We will see what they’re going to be in 3-4 years and if they stick. Hopefully they do.

Possibly. Thats their ceiling. They could also one or both flop and be relegated to the G-league. I hope not, but both are relatively unproven. They’ve shown flashes of potential but that’s it. Major defensive and decision making issues. An unwillingness to be agressive on offense for Sheppard and a lack of physicality for Rob, both of which can change. We will see what they’re going to be in 3-4 years and if they stick. Hopefully they do.

You aren't drafting shepherd to be aggressive on offense. You're taking him because he will run the offense, spaces the floor, and takes what the defense gives him. In this poor draft, that's a good quality in someone with elite athleticism.

Their defense is fine. They looked bad at times because there was zero team defensive coaching and they were asked to play man up vs screens and double screens, which is ridiculous.

You aren't drafting shepherd to be aggressive on offense. You're taking him because he will run the offense, spaces the floor, and takes what the defense gives him. In this poor draft, that's a good quality in someone with elite athleticism.

Their defense is fine. They looked bad at times because there was zero team defensive coaching and they were asked to play man up vs screens and double screens, which is ridiculous.
But he is too passive. He passed up too many open shots. If you want him to space the floor or run the offense while being a threat, then he has to be more aggressive. I’m not talking like he should be an iso machine. And their off the ball defense was terrible. The whole team’s was. But agree that most of that was coaching and scheming.

Feel bad for Reeves if that happens.This kind of shows the problem with the NBA at times . Drafting on potential(even disappointment) over someone proven and productive.
Yeah. The NBAs shift from drafting production and having a “prove it” mentality about college kids, to drafting potential in mass (not just a Kobe or KG type) is the biggest downfall of CBB quality. It’s what drives the 1nD era.

They over emphasize those 2-3 extra years of age and act like the upperclassmen are old men with only 1-3 good years left on their bodies. Reality is most the young guys wash out too and you’re just as likely to get a 8-10 year career from Reeves as you are from Edwards…and Reeves is ready to contribute day 1 instead of needing a couple years to develop.

The NBA and CBB would be better off if you reopened the straight from HS portal to allow the freak athletes (Lebron, Kobe, KG, Wall) to go. So say you lose the top 5 high school kids every year and they never play college…but the 5-50 ranked kids still make college rosters; and then the NBA drafts purely on production not hope and wishful thinking…Reed and Rob still go…Anthony Edwards still goes…Wall, Davis, Cuz still do etc….. but none of these their 2 guys make the jump and instead are replaced by guys like Reeves and the rest of the All American upper class list that isn’t highly projected bc “they’re old and maximized their potential”.

“Potential” is largely overplayed outside the top 5 type young guys like Wemby, AD etc. usually the tier 2 young guys w “potential” just end up being about as good as your top tier seniors in colllege…difference is they weren’t ready to immediately contribute to the team that drafted them

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Leach Report this morning said Robinson if he pulls out of the draft is 100 percent a KY LOCK and has heard it’s looking like he will withdrawl. Pope and Robinson are in contact frequently.
I want to get excited….but the little voice in my head says BYU is a bigger player than ppl are acting like.

They hired a home run hire coach (for them) that is widely respected in the NBA and was in line for NBA HC jobs in the coming years.

BYU is rumored to have a big donor that is ready to invest and that’s why they were even a player for Lanier.

I think they want a big splash player to say “we are here” type moment behind their new coach.

We’ve all heard the reports that Robinson wasn’t overly excited about moving and leaving Utah for just 1 year unless it was the NBA. If BYU has Money…and they have a coach w NBA connections…playing in the B12 and Robinson knows he will be showcased at either school and not the 6 man….he may stay. You also have some “grass is greener” effect where he may buy into what the new coach is saying he can help him develop from the NBA standpoint vs to coach he’s familiar w but has to move across the country for

Yeah. The NBAs shift from drafting production and having a “prove it” mentality about college kids, to drafting potential in mass (not just a Kobe or KG type) is the biggest downfall of CBB quality. It’s what drives the 1nD era.

They over emphasize those 2-3 extra years of age and act like the upperclassmen are old men with only 1-3 good years left on their bodies. Reality is most the young guys wash out too and you’re just as likely to get a 8-10 year career from Reeves as you are from Edwards…and Reeves is ready to contribute day 1 instead of needing a couple years to develop.

The NBA and CBB would be better off if you reopened the straight from HS portal to allow the freak athletes (Lebron, Kobe, KG, Wall) to go. So say you lose the top 5 high school kids every year and they never play college…but the 5-50 ranked kids still make college rosters; and then the NBA drafts purely on production not hope and wishful thinking…Reed and Rob still go…Anthony Edwards still goes…Wall, Davis, Cuz still do etc….. but none of these their 2 guys make the jump and instead are replaced by guys like Reeves and the rest of the All American upper class list that isn’t highly projected bc “they’re old and maximized their potential”.

“Potential” is largely overplayed outside the top 5 type young guys like Wemby, AD etc. usually the tier 2 young guys w “potential” just end up being about as good as your top tier seniors in colllege…difference is they weren’t ready to immediately contribute to the team that drafted them
Wish I could like this post 1000 times . I definitely don’t get the phasing out of guys proven and productive that are 22/24 years old . If you’re good you still could have a good 10 years or even more in the NBA.

I can see drafting a productive young guy . After watching Edwards this season I don’t get the intrigue . Even if you blame Cal lack of offensive creativity you had this guy flat out miss wide open dunks this year .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT