ADVERTISEMENT

Give Cal Credit: He Didn't Ride Edwards into the ground

Kudos to Cal for pulling Edwards and not forcing it. Edwards had a couple of klutch shots but did not play well over all.

So for that, credit.
Yes. But ... when Ugonna and Bradshaw play a combined 30 minutes, Edwards (13) and Thiero (16) will both lose minutes ... as Mitchell (33) will still be on the floor and get minutes.

Reactions: CincyUKFan
Edwards did some good things, 8pts and 6rbs and only 1turnover in 12 mins, but like Cal said in the post-game show, if you go under 3 screens in a row and dudes nail 3's on you then you have to sit. Edwards will figure it out, but it's good to have so many options.

Last edited:
Edwards only played 14 minutes last game too. This seems like the point of the year where you start fading guys out a bit if they haven't turned the corner yet. I hope he does, and the coaching staff sees these guys in practice and we don't, but I have to imagine he'll keep playing limited minutes if he doesn't put together great games. There are too many great players fighting for playing time on this team to give average to good ones 30+ minutes.

Reactions: ganner918
Not been a great couple of years for Cal but I think he’s done a good job this year. Old Cal would have Edwards play 30+ mins, flaws and all, and take Dillingham out at any little mistake. He’s riding with Rob a lot more than I thought he would.

Seems like he’s starting to get a nice rotation going. I love Edwards potential but at some point he needs to deliver. 12-15 minutes is more than fair until then.

Kudos to Cal for pulling Edwards and not forcing it. Edwards had a couple of klutch shots but did not play well over all.

So for that, credit.
Yep, thought the same thing. He still needs minutes (to try and reach his ceiling for March) and had some good plays in this game but I don't trust him enough to be in at the end of games. Need other guys in for now to give us a better shot to win at the end.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
Yep, thought the same thing. He still needs minutes (to try and reach his ceiling for March) and had some good plays in this game but I don't trust him enough to be in at the end of games. Need other guys in for now to give us a better shot to win at the end.
He showed how good he can be at times against a very good team but yeah, his defense still sucks. Gotta get better on d if he's gonna take minutes on this team.

Need to strategically get Edwards in to develop him and get him going, just not in contested tight games where he is a net negative.

Edwards needs to be better for us to truly reach our ceiling, but now that we have Bradshaw back he's not as important. Thiero needs more of those minutes.

Edwards is not good enough on the perimeter for this team and they function best with 3 guards. If you were to bump edwards to the 4 Thiero is just better than him at everything he does there right now. He is not a bad player and its nice to have him, but he is option 8/9 with ugo back now. More a statement of how deep this team is that guys like Edwards, Ugo, Burks are 8,9,10 when it comes to output, none of them have been bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT