ADVERTISEMENT

Gas prices

Maybe cause all those refineries in Texas are shut down from the ice storm? You usually get the "we are switching over to Summer blend" about this time.

Last edited:
Get ready to drive 10 miles to a gas station.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: chroix and JDHoss
Was $1.79 the week before Ho Biden took office. Today, $2.39 here. It is rising every week so far. Libnuts have got their wish. Gas gets to high no one will want to go out and everyone can quit their jobs and go on welfare.
Can you please explain what Joe Biden has done to influence the short term price of gasoline? Thank you.

Please also consider the total change in the price and how much of that change is due to ice storms and the global increase in demand for oil as we come out of the pandemic. You can do a pie chart to show out of the entire change how much Joe Biden is responsible for.

Reactions: kritikalcat
Can you please explain what Joe Biden has done to influence the short term price of gasoline? Thank you.

Please also consider the total change in the price and how much of that change is due to ice storms and the global increase in demand for oil as we come out of the pandemic. You can do a pie chart to show out of the entire change how much Joe Biden is responsible for.
No point. Many prices and flows of market are due to who is in charge of the nation. Projections happen. The fact that taxes will be raised and the talk of minimum wages doubling will do what they always do. You ever heard of gouging? This happens and with Ho Biden showing his dictator type leadership by record breaking EO's and the fact that the XL pipeline and fracking is being stopped should be enough for people who have the capacity to understand see this.

No point. Many prices and flows of market are due to who is in charge of the nation. Projections happen. The fact that taxes will be raised and the talk of minimum wages doubling will do what they always do. You ever heard of gouging? This happens and with Ho Biden showing his dictator type leadership by record breaking EO's and the fact that the XL pipeline and fracking is being stopped should be enough for people who have the capacity to understand see this.
This would never have happened if the Exalted One had not had the election stolen from him!

Reactions: awf
This would never have happened if the Exalted One had not had the election stolen from him!
Fact! But, all joking aside, isn't that they way it goes now? Who ever is in charge gets the blame except when it is a dim. Obama used 6 of his 8 years to blame Bush for all the bad that happened under his watch. Now, Ho Biden and company will use Trump as their excuse because, it will get worse.

In 2019 the US national gas price was 2.60. Today its also 2.60. One month ago it was 2.40.

In 2019 the US national gas price was 2.60. Today its also 2.60. One month ago it was 2.40.
It will go up even more shortly. It has been going up every week since Ho Biden took over. Now, you guys will compare short lived price hikes during Trump but, we will see just how far this goes as Ho Biden continues to wreck our economy.

Reactions: BBUK and blubo
It will go up even more shortly. It has been going up every week since Ho Biden took over. Now, you guys will compare short lived price hikes during Trump but, we will see just how far this goes as Ho Biden continues to wreck our economy.

Please do not call me “you guys”. I think extreme liberals and conservatives are equally dumb and damaging to the country. I am not a pawn for any political party nor do I think everything in the world is due to who is president. The amount of ridiculous shit blamed on trump the previous 4 years was insane, the president is not that powerful.

Please do not call me “you guys”. I think extreme liberals and conservatives are equally dumb and damaging to the country. I am not a pawn for any political party nor do I think everything in the world is due to who is president. The amount of ridiculous shit blamed on trump the previous 4 years was insane, the president is not that powerful.
Fair enough, that has been the point of all of the recent bickering. You can't get objective discussions because of this. Most know and understand the ebbs and flow of fuel prices and their causes. From projections to weather and just as important OPEC production or the lack of to drive up prices. Many have used the pandemic as well but I don't buy that one for an increase. In fact, a lot less people were traveling which made the prices go down to make it more inviting to go out. The only possible reason to blame the pandemic for price rising would be to say that production was hindered by the lack of workers being at work. Not sure that was the case for OPEC or for us for that matter.

US was energy independent for at least a few years with the production from fracking eliminating our need to purchase abroad. We've bought veryblittle oil from OPEC in recent years.

With the cancelation of XL and I would presume new restrictions on fracking coupled with higher demand, most analysts are predicting much higher gas prices. Which tends to hurt lower income folks more as they can't easily absorb the extra costs. Not to mention that higher gas prices also cause almost all prices to rise due to increased transportation costs.

I am not impressed by the current economic policies that have been implemented (by decree) nor what I presume will be implemented. Trying to destroy the current energy sector so a favored methodology of producing energy can become more viable when said methodology is currently incapable of replacing what is being destroyed seems like a very poor grasp of basic economics.

US was energy independent for at least a few years with the production from fracking eliminating our need to purchase abroad. We've bought veryblittle oil from OPEC in recent years.

With the cancelation of XL and I would presume new restrictions on fracking coupled with higher demand, most analysts are predicting much higher gas prices. Which tends to hurt lower income folks more as they can't easily absorb the extra costs. Not to mention that higher gas prices also cause almost all prices to rise due to increased transportation costs.

I am not impressed by the current economic policies that have been implemented (by decree) nor what I presume will be implemented. Trying to destroy the current energy sector so a favored methodology of producing energy can become more viable when said methodology is currently incapable of replacing what is being destroyed seems like a very poor grasp of basic economics.

As far as dollars and cents goes, the above is likely correct, so long as you are comfortable ignoring the much larger threat caused by global warming, which 95% of the posters on this site reject out of hand as a hoax, and nothing to worry about, so spending even $10 on alternate energy sources is essentially $10 wasted, so no need to go there or repeat the same old arguments that go nowhere.

As far as dollars and cents goes, the above is likely correct, so long as you are comfortable ignoring the much larger threat caused by global warming, which 95% of the posters on this site reject out of hand as a hoax, and nothing to worry about, so spending even $10 on alternate energy sources is essentially $10 wasted, so no need to go there or repeat the same old arguments that go nowhere.
You could as easily point out that fear mongering lead to many people over the years to stop believing because every ten years for about 70 years now the disasters that were predicted never came true. Billions of dollars squandered on fake or failed green energy businesses have a tendency to make people more skeptical going forward. Changing verbiage to fit the current situation or narrative tends to do that as well.

What year was it that New York was supposed to be under water - 1989?

If rising sea levels are such a concern, then why did Obama just purchase a $12 million sea side house? Won’t it be underwater soon?

Cancelling the Key stone XL pipeline was pretty dumb from an economic and environmental perspective. That same Canadian oil is still going to be shipped to the US only it will be transported via rail. This is less efficient and more likely to result in spills. Somehow the green nut jobs think this is a win.

$2.49 in Johnson County. Biden shutting down the Keystone XL pipeline on his first day by EO has to be one of the dumbest things a president has ever done. Says he will put people back to work, and on his first day in office he puts thousands OUT of work that have high paying jobs! Of course, they can always make solar panels. Insane! The oil will still move by rail, I can remember at least a couple train wrecks in the past few years with Alberta oil aboard that then has to be cleaned up!

Cancelling the Key stone XL pipeline was pretty dumb from an economic and environmental perspective. That same Canadian oil is still going to be shipped to the US only it will be transported via rail. This is less efficient and more likely to result in spills. Somehow the green nut jobs think this is a win.

BUT, BUT GLOBAL WARMING. WE ONLY HAVE 9 YEARS LEFT. OMG

I know they are going up, but I couldn't tell you if they were 1 dollar or 3 dollars a gallon. I fill up my car MAYBE once a month now. We both work from home, and aside from a trip to the grocery store or Home Depot, we never drive. Even our favorite restaurants are all walking distance.

BUT, BUT GLOBAL WARMING. WE ONLY HAVE 9 YEARS LEFT. OMG
Every 10 years for the last 70 years there has been a warning of impending doom. Funny though, some of us are called crazy for believing in Christ eventual return after the doom and destruction caused by the anti Christ as not going to happen everything is looking good for the world and then the same people turn around in the next sentence and say the planet is doomed because of x, y, and z.

Reactions: PhDcat2018
that's right, nothing to see here, move along . . .

Here are a couple of points that I believe:

1. Most of you guys on this site are convinced that global warming/climate change is liberal BS
2. Nothing I or anyone else posting on Cats Illustrated is going to your opinion on point 1 above

So . . . we can still get along, we will just talk about sports, women, beer, movies, music, shorting Gamestop, or hell, whatever else comes up of interest.

Deal?

Understand your point. Global warming is a threat that we need to address and I'm all for renewable energy sources that have less impact on the environment. Why is there no push for nuclear power which has no carbon footprint and produces much less waste with today's technology? If the Green New Deal was truly about reducing carbon footprint, shouldn't it include nuclear as a possible solution? And if the US had zero footprint, the two biggest culprits, China and India, would still result in a net increase. So, we should wreck our economy and still not eliminate the threat of global warming? What if natural phenomena prove to be a much bigger driver of climate than man? I'm all for clean air, water, soil, etc. and we should do as much as possible to keep the earth livable. Not sure that eliminating all fossil fuel in the US is possible or desirable.

A recent article I read discussed the environmental impact of all-electric cars. From the immense amount of water needed to mine the rare earth metals necessary for the batteries to the huge increase needed in the electrical grid to provide power up and down the highways, the environmental impact to make the switch is not necessarily a huge gain by eliminating fossil fuels. Disposing of used batteries and solar panels is another concern as those rare earth minerals leech back into ground water. Not to mention the number of birds splattered all over windmill turbines, some of which are endangered. I see airport shuttles that run on natural gas and they emit less than gasoline engines. Why isn't there more push for widespread used of NG?

A diversified energy policy that incorporates the best of all energy sources with both economic and environmental impacts in mind is a policy I'd get behind 100%. Unfortunately, I don't see that idea being supported by either side. One side wants to eliminate all fossil fuels and one side wants very little change from the status quo. On this and many other issues, the two parties don't really speak for me.

1. Most of you guys on this site are convinced that global warming/climate change is liberal BS
2. Nothing I or anyone else posting on Cats Illustrated is going to your opinion on point 1 above

So . . . we can still get along, we will just talk about sports, women, beer, movies, music, shorting Gamestop, or hell, whatever else comes up of interest.

Deal?
I don't think that it is total B.S. I am not going to argue with real science. I just think that it is over-hyped and being used as an excuse to raise taxes, transfer wealth and control certain aspects of our lives. The lies about the date of a tipping point hasn't done the carbon cause any favors. Likewise blaming every natural disaster on warming is a crock. Those have been happening since the dawn of time. The only variable is frequency. Until China and India stop building coal fired plants, the planet's carbon level isn't going to be reduced by much. That is why the Paris Accord was such a joke. Those countries weren't required to cut emissions for 15 years while we had to start immediately. If the tipping point is really that close how can two of the largest polluters wait that long?

Last edited:
It's $2.43 here today. Somebody said something about gas prices being determined mostly by supply and demand, crude oil price and a few other more intermittent things like refinery trouble/hurricanes, etc. I'm not buying it though. I think whoever is president controls them.....

Deal?

Look..I believe the climate is changing. I also believe that making irrational statements of doom about global warming, while costing America thousands of jobs and our energy independence is strictly a leftist political ploy, while other countries are burning their own turds for heat. There is always a good compromise that radicals on both sides refuse to explore.

And I agree with your last point most of all. Peace and Go Cats.

ADVERTISEMENT