ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD: Kentucky vs. Auburn - SECT

More bizarre moves by our Coach - must win game and he doesn't start best available- then pitches best available rest of game
Continues to give up needless outs bunting to much

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Absolutely... now we are at the mercy of the selection committee and if we get in this might be a good thing we certainly need the rest especially the pitchers evidently

More bizarre moves by our Coach - must win game and he doesn't start best available- then pitches best available rest of game
Totally agree with the bunting too much!!! What did we have four Innings with only two outs

Disagree entirely. This was a 4 run game. You can't win giving up just 4 then it isn't on the pitching.

Bats are dead right now. That's the problem. Had to bunt because there was little chance we strung together hits

Reactions: BluegrassBlake
Heroic effort from Hjelle, but the 'Cats can't plate enough runs. Dawson also played a very good game, and Cottam ripped the baseball every at bat and came through with a huge clutch hit. Unfortunately, UK missed too many opportunities to get a big hit with runners on base. With UK's strong early season, quality wins, and RPI, it is rather amazing that they are now in jeopardy of missing the NCAA tournament. Fingers crossed that the selection committee gives them one more chance and they can get some arms back for a regional.

Fought back... Thompson just didnt have it.

We need more Kole's at the place looking to take the fastball either way. Too many weak swings or just standing down there and watching it go by

We may well receive an NCAA bid but honestly don't think we deserve one, sort of like a bowl bid at 5-7

Almost ready for this season to be over. Just not a fun team to watch and every game is frustrating. Really disappointed in ming. Going into the season, I had more faith in him than any other coach on campus, but I was wrong.

I think if our softball team can host than there's no reason the baseball team should miss the postseason.

We've missed a starter in the rotation all year. Whole body of work. Should take every game into consideration.

Unfortunately for the Cats, they knocked the starter out quickly today. Story of the season.

More unfortunate is the coaching staff's decision to not start their ace in a critical game. I don't know how many times teams have to get burned by that for it to sink in.
SEC Network arguing that conference record is maybe more important than RPI. It cannot be. Conference teams don't play the same schedule. LSU did not play Florida or Georgia.

You seem to be forgetting the most important element of sports - winning the games on your schedule.

You are going to have some discrepancies in scheduling when you have a 14 game league with divisions. For instance, UK benefits every fall playing in the SEC East. And this baseball team didn’t have to play Ole Miss.

Some will make a ton of excuses but at the end of the day, whether they get in or not it has been a disappointing end to the season.

I am guessing that UK is in based on the RPI and non-conference schedule. The loss is a blessing because our pitchers will have a full week of rest if there are no upsets in other conference tourneys and LSU loses and that leaves them at 33-24 while we are 34-22. The one thing that worries me is LSU is brand name in Omaha and have a lot of pull with the selection committee.

Fought back... Thompson just didnt have it.

We need more Kole's at the place looking to take the fastball either way. Too many weak swings or just standing down there and watching it go by
I swear half of the posters on here don't even watch the game. Thompson didn't pitch.....

Almost ready for this season to be over. Just not a fun team to watch and every game is frustrating. Really disappointed in ming. Going into the season, I had more faith in him than any other coach on campus, but I was wrong.
Ming and the coaching staff did a terrible job this year. Like I said in another thread, I hope he isnt a one hit wonder.

Can I first just say that I hate this next game. I want LSU to lose, but I freaking hate Miss. State. This bull crap about them being 9-1 against top 10 RPI is ridiculous considering that they were able to get all 10 of those game at home. It is good that they won those games. I give them credit, but we also have to understand that they got all of those as home wins. Actually, to be fair, I think one of them was technically a neutral site.

More unfortunate is the coaching staff's decision to not start their ace in a critical game. I don't know how many times teams have to get burned by that for it to sink in.

You seem to be forgetting the most important element of sports - winning the games on your schedule.

You are going to have some discrepancies in scheduling when you have a 14 game league with divisions. For instance, UK benefits every fall playing in the SEC East. And this baseball team didn’t have to play Ole Miss.

Some will make a ton of excuses but at the end of the day, whether they get in or not it has been a disappointing end to the season.

We have plenty of wins. In fact, we have 16 wins against top 50 opponents. Only 10 other teams in the country have 16 wins against RPI top 50 and 6 of those 16 came against the top 15 RPI. We are one of 8 teams to be .500 or above against the top 50 and have over 15 wins.

Realistically, this year comes down to who you got at home and who you got on the road. To be fair, UK had some favorable road matchups that they should have won. Still, had they gotten UT at home then they likely win 2 of three and we are at that 14 win number and we are in the tournament.

Well isn't this rich. The most insufferable of the resident trolls on these boards, who decided to venture over to stir up trouble on the baseball board only once this season went sour, is now calling out and trying to troll Jeff Drummond, who is a Moderator and Managing Editor of the site, not to mention a seasoned and knowledgeable baseball observer. He even manages to make this a combo troll job in this post, getting a jab at not only the baseball team but also the football program. Just think what an unfulfilling life one must have to spend such an inordinate amount of time on a rival team's message boards to incessantly pick internet fights.

Last edited:
Reactions: irishcat1965
Well it can be debated whether UK deserves to get in or not and each side has an argument. However, at this point all UK fans can hope for is the team gets a bid and uses this time to rest its pitchers. One thing is clear though- UK has to have more players than Cottham and Heyer to get timely hits on a consistent basis to advance.

Reactions: bigbluegrog
Well it can be debated whether UK deserves to get in or not and each side has an argument. However, at this point all UK fans can hope for is the team gets a bid and uses this time to rest its pitchers. One thing is clear though- UK has to have more players than Cottham and Heyer to get timely hits on a consistent basis to advance.

Regardless, they all better be in the bullpen seeing a ton of pitches to get back to seeing the ball better.

Well isn't this rich. The most insufferable of the resident trolls on these boards, who decided to venture over to stir up trouble on the baseball board only once this season went sour, is now calling out and trying to troll Jeff Drummond, who is a Moderator and Managing Editor of the site, not to mention a seasoned and knowledgeable baseball observer. He even manages to make this a combo troll job in this post, getting a jab at not only the baseball team but also the football program. Just think what an unfulfilling life one must have to spend such an inordinate amount of time on a rival team's message boards to incessantly pick internet fights.

According to some trolls, I am apparently new to the sport of baseball. I've only surrounded myself with the game for almost 30 years, so I am really wondering when it no longer becomes, "new."

My mistake. 80 hour work weeks gives you little time to fully pay attention to a game lol.

Which is fine. I suspect most, if not all, of the posters here work hard at our respective crafts.

But to call out people for not doing something you apparently didn’t do is hypocrisy at its worst. I don’t care if you haven’t slept in 2 weeks, that’s just plain awful.

Reactions: LukaszObrzut
If Thompson hadn't gone down along with Collette I think this ends differently.

Can I first just say that I hate this next game. I want LSU to lose, but I freaking hate Miss. State. This bull crap about them being 9-1 against top 10 RPI is ridiculous considering that they were able to get all 10 of those game at home. It is good that they won those games. I give them credit, but we also have to understand that they got all of those as home wins. Actually, to be fair, I think one of them was technically a neutral site.
CB3...let's lay the blame where it belongs. Getting swept by Vandy and Ark and losing series to the two worst teams in the league. If we don't get in that's where the fault lies.

Which is fine. I suspect most, if not all, of the posters here work hard at our respective crafts.

But to call out people for not doing something you apparently didn’t do is hypocrisy at its worst. I don’t care if you haven’t slept in 2 weeks, that’s just plain awful.
Salty much?

Agreed. It’s mind boggling how our hitters continuously watch pitches go right down the middle of the plate.
I would love to ask Ming if this is a coached thing or if it's on the players... I've watched baseball for a long time and this team has made more Cy Young award candidates than any team I've ever seen
How many times have you seen the guys give the little two finger chest bump acknowledging that they have two strikes knowing that they need to be careful, be alert to swing at a decent pitch and then turn around and the very next pitch take a fastball right down the middle.

Last edited:

Yes sir...I know I work my ass off at this retirement gig:clap::clap::fistbump:[banana]:pimp::cool2:[cheers]:golf::joy::sunglasses:but somebodies gotta do it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT