ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread. Cats vs Southern

Southern went 6-7, 6-7, 6-6, 6-1 and 6-1. They were small and quick at all five spots. I would’ve pressed the hell out of us for the whole game, if I were Woods.

Not only will Cal lose to the top teams in the conference, he'll lose some games bad. Oscar can save you when the other team doesn't have any size. But once he goes up against dude's that have a better shot at the league than he does, and can do a decent job of keeping him off the glass, we'll be exposed.
Huh? He had 17 pts and 20 rebs against Duke. Bad take, dude.

We have no clue about this team. Cals dream schedule. He literally has to do nothing for the first month and a half of a job that pays him nearly 10 mill a year.
Cal will dick around the entire pre conference playing every dumb combination of players you can think of, and then play 6 or 7 players until their tongues hang out for the remainder of the year.

Happy for the W, but not a very encouraging performance.
It happens. Finals week, haven't played in 8 days, players getting over illnesses, meh opponent on a weeknight, etc.

I'm holding off on making any long-term predictions for this team until after we get through the next few weeks.

Reactions: Fox2monk and CB3UK
It happens. Finals week, haven't played in 8 days, players getting over illnesses, meh opponent on a weeknight, etc.

I'm holding off on making any long-term predictions for this team until after we get through the next few weeks.
Yep. We're certainly not a bad team thank heavens. But are we a good team? I don't know. We are about to find out.

If I'm being honest this feels like the Joe/Ramel Tubby teams/years. Pretty good but not good enough to win the league. Just how I feel right now. A whole lot of ball to go.

It's not finals week!

Yep. We're certainly not a bad team thank heavens. But are we a good team? I don't know. We are about to find out.

If I'm being honest this feels like the Joe/Ramel Tubby teams/years. Pretty good but not good enough to win the league. Just how I feel right now. A whole lot of ball to go.
Tonight? No.

But this was by far our worst performance against a tough scrappy defense.

We hit our damn FTs and this game doesn’t look near as bad.

Tonight? No.

But this was by far our worst performance against a tough scrappy defense.

We hit our damn FTs and this game doesn’t look near as bad.
I don't think it was a bad performance. That's what I characterized last years games as. It was just a ho-hum, lazy day sleepwalking rusty one. Hell yeah we can play better, but it never felt like we were bad. Just one of those meh games.

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
It’s next week. Still distracting. Projects due this week I’m sure. The week before and the week of are stressful as hell.
I'm in law school currently, it's really not that bad. These guys are taking sports management classes, CRT classes, and keyboarding 101. Not sure what they are stressed about.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I don't think it was a bad performance. That's what I characterized last years games as. It was just a ho-hum, lazy day sleepwalking rusty one. Hell yeah we can play better, but it never felt like we were bad. Just one of those meh games.
You and I are agreeing on something. That’s a sign of the apocalypse.

Anyone seen four horses of different colors?

😂

I'm in law school currently, it's really not that bad. These guys are taking like sports management classes and keyboarding 101. Not sure what they are stressed about.
Maybe to you it’s not. Most students have trouble during those weeks.

Glad to know everyone handles everything the same.

• Haha
Reactions: PasadenaCat
Maybe to you it’s not. Most students have trouble during those weeks.

Glad to know everyone handles everything the same.
There "tutors" might be stessing a bit, and the walk-ons who are here to bring up the average. I doubt the actual players even know what finals are.

Do you honestly think hardly any of these dudes even give a passing thought to finals week vs. any other week?
Our student athletes are constantly praised in conference for maintaining good GPAs. Our Athletic Department actually requires our players to go to class unlike another school wearing powder blue.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Do you honestly think hardly any of these dudes even give a passing thought to finals week vs. any other week?
Yes actually, I think some of them do. We have a lot of upperclassmen that realize that they might not make a career out of basketball and likely care about their grades. As upperclassmen they're also probably taking more difficult classes than the freshmen.

Regardless, my point still remains the same. Finals are just one example of what can contribute to an uneven performance. Forget I said it if it makes it easier for you to understand what I was saying.

The cats looked flat and overconfident — expecting an easy blowout win against that bad team — cal needs to get their attention in practice this week

These tune up games really paid off huh
Didn't look good tonight. Average margin of victory over the 7 duds scheduled was 27. Combined win loss of teams in 16-43, average of 2.2W - 6.1 L. I would say it was an ok run through the cupcakes....especially considering some of the guys not playing, etc.

We will see where we are over the next 2 weeks.

OK...so what happened tonight? Were they looking ahead to ND? Seriously, UK should have bulldozed that team!
Reality. This is an average team.
Not horrible like last year, but not great.

Without Big O on the floor, we go from average to mediocre, borderline horrible.

Can we improve? Probably.
Will we improve? Unknown at this time.

Unless and until we get an offense that can actually get our shooters open looks against good teams, we have little chance of improving.

Good teams will double Oscar in the post and play off our 1-2 players that are not a threat to score, even when they are left open from the outside.

A zone defense will kill us.

Reality. This is an average team.
Not horrible like last year, but not great.
Which is why I shake my head every year when people have an orgasm about the next great in-coming class.

Sorry CH...I'm not pounding on your post.

Now, these guys may figure it out before the season ends and we all hope they do... but lets be serious...people on this board yank off every year before a single game is even played...then they get all crazy eyed at the next seasons class coming in before this season is half over.

Sorry for the rant...but it happens every year...it's nuts.

Reactions: cathouse
Lot of jumpers tonight. You guys need to get off the roof. That was a marginal team. We're not going to brow beat a legacy coach. Win by 15. Win by 50, neither tells you a damn thing about our team against such weak competition. This was essentially a practice scrimmage. SU put some money in their pocket and mission accomplished.

I did see some improvement on foot movement on defense. We are still leaning like crazy.

And somebody put some stick'um on the ball. . . .

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Didn't look good tonight. Average margin of victory over the 7 duds scheduled was 27. Combined win loss of teams in 16-43, average of 2.2W - 6.1 L. I would say it was an ok run through the cupcakes....especially considering some of the guys not playing, etc.

We will see where we are over the next 2 weeks.
There are only a couple of guys on this team that could have played on some of Cal's best teams at UK. The rest of this team are role players.
The one thing everyone said this team would be able to do is shoot the ball. Well that aint happening right now.
Nothing has really happened in these games that I have seen that looks like this team is becoming a real contender.
Roles are still not defined. The 3 and 4 spots are stillup in the air. Shooting is getting worse instead of better.

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT