ADVERTISEMENT

FOUR THINGS I'D LIKE TO SEE CAL DO...

Oct 30, 2009
I'm a Cal fan, but last year he had horses and it didn't work out at the end. This year we have as good or better horses. so, I want an old dog to learn new tricks….

1)Start Wheeler, but give someone (most likely Wallace) major minutes at PG so that if offense ever stagnates or they drop off Wheeler, you have a offensive threat pg grooved and primed. Don't be afraid to sit Wheeler for long stretches.

2)when it comes down to final shot to win it or lose it, don't draw up one of your plays, and don't put it in wheeler's hands, put the ball in the hands of your best wing player, clear out and let him create (like Knight who hit key last minute shots in final four run back in the day). and position oscar and toppin for rebound-put backs.

3) Have an assistant coach who studies the hell out of the other team. Even if it's Morehead. Go through a practice to shut down their best shooters. If you put Bill Bellicheck hours into studying the other team, you beat the other team.

4) Have a plan for when the offense stagnates or getting a basket gets hard - my idea would be to have an offense call/name where only the two best offensive players on the floor at that moment can shoot it. And everybody else works to get them a shot or a rebound.

2. This was TyTy before he got hurt. Drive get the shot up and let Oscar get the board.
Our last shot to win St Peters, he put it in Wheelers hands, wheeler drove into trouble, did manage to get the ball barely to ty ty who put up a rushed shot. Should have given the ball to Ty ty from jump street on that play, let ty ty work up a shot in rythemn.

I can not think of one shot in last two years where we were like one point behind and won the game on the last shot.

I'd like to see him:
1) design multiple inbounds plays

2) stop telling every player to shoot if they're open, or they're coming out. You have to value the basketball and that's such a bad idea. You end up with bad shooters taking bad shots, especially when the opposing coach knows you gave your team that instruction.

Shaheen left Brooks and Wheeler open from the outside and covered everyone else. That has to end.

I'm a Cal fan, but last year he had horses and it didn't work out at the end. This year we have as good or better horses. so, I want an old dog to learn new tricks….

1)Start Wheeler, but give someone (most likely Wallace) major minutes at PG so that if offense ever stagnates or they drop off Wheeler, you have a offensive threat pg grooved and primed. Don't be afraid to sit Wheeler for long stretches.

2)when it comes down to final shot to win it or lose it, don't draw up one of your plays, and don't put it in wheeler's hands, put the ball in the hands of your best wing player, clear out and let him create (like Knight who hit key last minute shots in final four run back in the day). and position oscar and toppin for rebound-put backs.

3) Have an assistant coach who studies the hell out of the other team. Even if it's Morehead. Go through a practice to shut down their best shooters. If you put Bill Bellicheck hours into studying the other team, you beat the other team.

4) Have a plan for when the offense stagnates or getting a basket gets hard - my idea would be to have an offense call/name where only the two best offensive players on the floor at that moment can shoot it. And everybody else works to get them a shot or a rebound.
Good post with rational thoughts

you muss be knew to these parts

Our last shot to win St Peters, he put it in Wheelers hands, wheeler drove into trouble, did manage to get the ball barely to ty ty who put up a rushed shot. Should have given the ball to Ty ty from jump street on that play, let ty ty work up a shot in rythemn.

I can not think of one shot in last two years where we were like one point behind and won the game on the last shot.
Wheeler lost his footing. If he gets that shot up O likely get it and puts it in. I agree if TyTy was able he should have been the one to drive the ball.

I'd like to see him:
1) design multiple inbounds plays

2) stop telling every player to shoot if they're open, or they're coming out. You have to value the basketball and that's such a bad idea. You end up with bad shooters taking bad shots, especially when the opposing coach knows you gave your team that instruction.

Shaheen left Brooks and Wheeler open from the outside and covered everyone else. That has to end.
Yes, # 1 for sure. We NEVER look to score on an inbounds play. We just throw in to the wing area, but our opponents score 2-3 baskets a game on inbound plays.

How about if Oscar is unstoppable with 30 points and 18 boards you get him the damn ball for an easy layup/dunk or foul! I agree about Belicheck. The reason outside Brady they were so tough was the team was solid in every phase. It was more of a impossible to beat the team than just worrying about Brady.

It should have been a simple pick to get Oscar the ball anywhere at the foul line or below. Preferably right by the goal, they couldn’t stop him.

Cal should add you to the staff. Obviously you have thought about things no one on the coaching staff, including cal has thought about before.

#2. Is exactly what cal has always done. Give the ball to a guy and let him do as he wants. Problem is we haven't had a killer in a while now.

#2. Is exactly what cal has always done. Give the ball to a guy and let him do as he wants. Problem is we haven't had a killer in a while now.
No. i think he instills an "if you're open shoot it" mentality as opposed to being more selective and value the possession when things get tight and look only to your best player. Last shot against saint peters he should have put the ball in ty ty's hands to bring up court. Did he believe ty ty was a first round pick or not? As opposed to "let's let the 5'8" guy who's never gonna play for big money drive into trouble."

It’s put up or shut up time for Cal.

Four things he needs to do?

1..Beat KU
2. Win the SEC Reg Season
3. Win the SEC Tourney
4. Get to Final Four.
Screw you and your pessimistic, fair weather fan attitude. Cal, nor UK, owe you nothing. If you don’t like what Cal’s doing, find a new team. We don’t need fans like you.

Screw you and your pessimistic, fair weather fan attitude. Cal, nor UK, owe you nothing. If you don’t like what Cal’s doing, find a new team. We don’t need fans like you.

It’s fair weather to claim to be the gold standard and list those four reasonable objectives?

Nah buddy. I’d say screw you to but I have standards.

So if you don’t like the way the country is run you can get out to right?

And I think that’s twice you’ve singled me out to attack my post.

Fans like you are the extremists. Attacking anyone that dares criticize our performance.

Last edited:
Sounds like YOU’RE the one that needs to find a new team. Damn man. His post was fair … for the kind of money Triple C makes he DOES owe BBN more than the shit shoe we’ve been getting from him. Geez.

It should have been a simple pick to get Oscar the ball anywhere at the foul line or below. Preferably right by the goal, they couldn’t stop him.
I am so glad I missed the game.. (we had practice), I DVRed it...but erased it, as soon as I got home)

Reactions: Fox2monk
Lots are lumping me (the orig poster) with the down on Cal side. I'm not, I believe he's earned the right to go forward and make things right. But he's a smart guy, even he must know he needs to look in the mirror and ask tough questions: "why didn't I win more close games?" "How can I use superior talent better against average talent but well- coached teams that are ultra ramped up, dropping off wheeler, and playing out of their minds."

Two chances of that happening.....slim and none LOL.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Sounds like YOU’RE the one that needs to find a new team. Damn man. His post was fair … for the kind of money Triple C makes he DOES owe BBN more than the shit shoe we’ve been getting from him. Geez.

I like Cal. I want Cal here. But he’s got to give us better than the last year or so. Last years regular season was acceptable. Just didn’t finish strong. Have to do better this year.

Reactions: BlueWhite21

What I really want to see cal do is get UK past the round of 64....

I think he's just a UK fan more than a Cal fan... That is possible you know. Cal may not owe anything per you... But in recent years his coaching hasn't earned anything either... Reg season SEC champs... SEC tournament... NCAA tournament success.... So some want more from Cal... That doesn't mean they do not support UK at all. On the contrary they want better for UK. His fandom is solid and reasonable

Last edited:
That is really a dumb reply. The man made good points and that is all u can say? You Cal slurpers are something else.

No your reply is dumb. I’m glad you’re the person that can rate replies.
Cal slurpers huh? You probably another arm chair quarterback that sits back and thinks they are better and more knowledgeable than qualified folks that get paid to do their job.

I think he's just a UK fan more than a Cal fan... That is possible you know. Cal may not owe anything per you... But in recent years his coaching hasn't earned anything either... Reg season SEC champs... SEC tournament... NCAA tournament success.... So some want more from Cal... That doesn't mean they do not support UK at all. On the contrary they want better for UK. His fandom is solid and reasonable
In Cal’s early days and even right after Fox/Monk. I was a solid Cal defender. And I’ll still defend him when it’s fair and reasonable. He’s done good things here.

But the past two years have just sucked. Not so much last season per se, but 1-2 in the post season is unacceptable here. Always.

Go
Cal slurpers huh? You probably another arm chair quarterback that sits back and thinks they are better and more knowledgeable than qualified folks that get paid to do their job.
Good one. Lol. So pathetic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT