ADVERTISEMENT

FOUR THINGS I'D LIKE TO SEE CAL DO...

I'm a Cal fan, but last year he had horses and it didn't work out at the end. This year we have as good or better horses. so, I want an old dog to learn new tricks….

1)Start Wheeler, but give someone (most likely Wallace) major minutes at PG so that if offense ever stagnates or they drop off Wheeler, you have a offensive threat pg grooved and primed. Don't be afraid to sit Wheeler for long stretches.

2)when it comes down to final shot to win it or lose it, don't draw up one of your plays, and don't put it in wheeler's hands, put the ball in the hands of your best wing player, clear out and let him create (like Knight who hit key last minute shots in final four run back in the day). and position oscar and toppin for rebound-put backs.

3) Have an assistant coach who studies the hell out of the other team. Even if it's Morehead. Go through a practice to shut down their best shooters. If you put Bill Bellicheck hours into studying the other team, you beat the other team.

4) Have a plan for when the offense stagnates or getting a basket gets hard - my idea would be to have an offense call/name where only the two best offensive players on the floor at that moment can shoot it. And everybody else works to get them a shot or a rebound.
Sounds good to me. Good post.

One thing I’d like to see Cal do:

5463-BFF9-05-C9-47-C0-9-A78-460-C67-EDDF95.jpg

That’s one of my main gripes.
Especially with all the athletic, springy players we typically have. Even if not a lob, run some screening and backdoor cuts. Same thing in the half court, with back cuts. My number 1 really should’ve been to SET THE TEMPO! No reason for us to ever play anything but “fast paste”! 😆

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: flacat22
5. Win # 9

If not, his time here will be seen much like Tubbys.
I’d like that. But with the class he’s got coming in next season he doesn’t HAVE to win it this year. BUT. He does need to get to the FF. FFs are standard here. Winning the title is great but almost a crap shoot at that point. So I’m a realist. But getting to the FF should be pretty common for us.

Reactions: jauk11 and SosaUK87
Especially with all the athletic, springy players we typically have. Even if not a lob, run some screening and backdoor cuts. Same thing in the half court, with back cuts. My number 1 really should’ve been to SET THE TEMPO! No reason for us to ever play anything but “fast paste”! 😆
But, everyone on here bitches and says all Cal does is yell "GOOO". Isn't he trying to set a fast paced tempo?

Reactions: jauk11
Unfortunately he will never change and no media will simply ask him “Why don’t you run inbound plays to score” Why don’t you teach a 2nd defense that you could use as a change of pace
Why do you set your best player 14 minutes in the first half with 2 fouls and he finishes game with 2.

DON'T LET THE OTHER TEAM ESTABLISH THE PACE OF PLAY.

We've gotta team that can really play downhill this year.

It’s put up or shut up time for Cal.

Four things he needs to do?

1..Beat KU
2. Win the SEC Reg Season
3. Win the SEC Tourney
4. Get to Final Four.

5. secure a number 1 seed
It’s fair weather to claim to be the gold standard and list those four reasonable objectives?

Nah buddy. I’d say screw you to but I have standards.

So if you don’t like the way the country is run you can get out to right?

And I think that’s twice you’ve singled me out to attack my post.

Fans like you are the extremists. Attacking anyone that dares criticize our performance.
Ignore the guy. He doesn’t even know what a fair weather fan is. If you’re sitting here in July reading this forum or posting that is the direct opposite of fair weather fan. That is an extremely engaged fan regardless of anyones position on the current state of the program.

ADVERTISEMENT