ADVERTISEMENT

Forde alert

Blueathletics

Senior
Dec 21, 2007
No link so no hits but here it is as best I could format it...

Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?

73803de0-de90-11e6-baf7-356270d21458_512-1-.png

Pat Forde
College football and basketball columnist
Yahoo SportsApr 24, 2017, 4:12 PM
It will be a 'total reload' for Kentucky next season
CBS Sports Videos
48965b6c7e37c1414b638da559ad6a69

Scroll back up to restore default view.
It’s now time for John Calipari to work his most extreme makeover yet.

That player is forward Wenyen Gabriel, who averaged 4.6 points and 4.8 rebounds as a freshman. By season’s end the exceedingly raw Gabriel had all but played himself out of Calipari’s rotation: In four NCAA tournament games, the five-star recruit averaged 6.5 minutes and 0.3 points while missing all eight of his field-goal attempts.

There’s your veteran to build around.

The rest of the returning roster: Sacha Killeya-Jones, a 6-10 sophomore-to-be who arrived as a five-star recruit but never left the bench in Kentucky’s final 19 games of the season; Tai Wynyard, a 6-10 center who sat the final 14 games; and a couple walk-on-caliber guys who played even smaller roles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lacocat
Yep. Garden variety Forde set up. Devotes an entire column to establishing why we might have a rough go of it next year. Then, if it proves right, he'll criticize Cal for underachieving. Predicable. Not worth much thought...

I guess he forgot about 2012-13 that was the toughest rebuild by far. Lost everyone and had a weak class to recruit from

Don't see an issue with the article. We do not do well (by our standards) after losing everyone. We will struggle next season.

We aren't winning a title next season. No one should have those expectations. For all of our success, we've always needed help from returnig contributors. We don't have that next year at all.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Don't see an issue with the article. We do not do well (by our standards) after losing everyone. We will struggle next season.

We aren't winning a title next season. No one should have those expectations. For all of our success, we've always needed help from returnig contributors. We don't have that next year at all.

Well, hell, why even play the games. BTW, can you send me the scores of all of our games next season? You seem to have it all laid out.

Well, hell, why even play the games. BTW, can you send me the scores of all of our games next season? You seem to have it all laid out.

Is it really a far fetched guess since it has never happened in the history of the tournament? An all-freshmen team has never won it all. During the Cal era, we've never been successful without returning contributors.

Is it really a far fetched guess since it has never happened in the history of the tournament? An all-freshmen team has never won it all. During the Cal era, we've never been successful without returning contributors.

It's admittedly a long shot, but it's a long shot every year. And I've never been one of those "it's never been done" guys. Every single record for anything that keeps records had never been done before.

Reactions: Aike
No link so no hits but here it is as best I could format it...

Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?

73803de0-de90-11e6-baf7-356270d21458_512-1-.png

Pat Forde
College football and basketball columnist
Yahoo SportsApr 24, 2017, 4:12 PM
CBS Sports Videos
48965b6c7e37c1414b638da559ad6a69

Scroll back up to restore default view.
It’s now time for John Calipari to work his most extreme makeover yet.

That player is forward Wenyen Gabriel, who averaged 4.6 points and 4.8 rebounds as a freshman. By season’s end the exceedingly raw Gabriel had all but played himself out of Calipari’s rotation: In four NCAA tournament games, the five-star recruit averaged 6.5 minutes and 0.3 points while missing all eight of his field-goal attempts.

There’s your veteran to build around.

The rest of the returning roster: Sacha Killeya-Jones, a 6-10 sophomore-to-be who arrived as a five-star recruit but never left the bench in Kentucky’s final 19 games of the season; Tai Wynyard, a 6-10 center who sat the final 14 games; and a couple walk-on-caliber guys who played even smaller roles.

Then there is redshirt Hamidou Diallo, a five-star guard who arrived in January but never played and then rather unexpectedly threw his name into the draft late in the process. Diallo will not hire an agent and thus could return to Lexington and see his first collegiate action.

Rivals’ No. 2 player, 7-footer Mohamed Bamba, and/or another currently uncommitted prospect.

So, yes, Calipari will have a glut of talent. But it will be the most inexperienced talent he’s ever put on the floor.

6081ba50c0574619964d9534602e248b

John Calipari will have his work cut out for him at Kentucky next season. (Getty)
The 2015-16 Wildcats also returned none of the top seven scorers from the previous season, but that team still had 14 percent of its scoring back – about double what next year’s group will have. That team had first-round pick Tyler Ulis, fourth-year junior Alex Poythress, Marcus Lee, Derek Willis and Dominique Hawkins all as veterans – and it didn’t get past the first weekend of the NCAA tournament.

The 2010-11 Cats also had 14 percent of their scoring returning from the previous year, led by juniors Darius Miller and DeAndre Liggins. Buttressed by a stellar freshman class and the emergence of senior center Josh Harrellson, that team made the Final Four.

Calipari has done a lot with young players, but he’ll be fighting history next season. A team that looks like the 2017-18 Wildcats has never won a national title.

Complete remodeling jobs requiring freshmen to do everything hasn’t been the formula for winning it all, which remains the annual objective for UK fans. (Even if that ranks second to winning draft night, according to the head coach.)

The last 11 national champions returned at least one double-digit scorer from the previous year, and often more than one. Seventeen of the previous 18 champions had a returning double-digit scorer. The lone exception was Florida’s 2006 team, which did have its Nos. 4 through 9 scorers back from ’05.

And if anything, the recent trend has been even more weighted toward experience. The North Carolina team that just won the title had six of its top eight scorers back from the previous season. Villanova’s 2016 champions returned five of its top eight scorers from ’15. Freshmen impact players have been almost nonexistent the past two Final Fours.

Even the two freshmen-led teams that have won the title in the past six years were heavily supplemented by veteran input. Duke’s 2015 team, with Jahlil Okafor and Justise Winslow and Tyus Jones, would never have won it all without senior guard Quinn Cook and others. And Calipari’s own 2012 team, with freshman Anthony Davis as its centerpiece and two other freshmen starters, needed clutch contributions from senior Miller and double-digit scoring averages from sophomores Doron Lamb and Terrence Jones.

not be on the ’17-18 roster. We know that the top seven scorers are gone, and eight of the top nine. We know that even John Calipari, the master of the roster makeover, has never given himself this thorough a rebuilding job."
Hey Pat, you worthless hack, you can't get a basic bit of information right with Diallo. He didn't redshirt.

I have no idea how Pat The Asshat gets paid for that garbage.

Everyone's comments are about the hack Forde...you are having a discussion with yourself, get with the rest of us.

The guy is awful.

How many all freshman teams have there been. No won had gone 38 and 0 before either.

Reactions: TexKat
I mean Coach Cal faces this each year at UK with rebuilding UK's roster. This year's recruiting class and the players that I have seen play in Vanderbilt, PJ Washington, Quade Green, Alexander, Richards, Baker and if we can get Cam Johnson to transfer and have BAM back or get BAMBA, wait and see with Diallo, to go with Gabriel and SKJ to me would be just as good if not a better team than last year's Elite 8 team. WE basically had two good 3 point shooters in Monk and Willis last year. Next year with Alexander and if we get Cam Johnson, Green is not a bad outside shot, and Diallo stays is four strong guards that can shoot the ball with close to 40% from 3 and then add Vanderbilt and Washington which both are decent outside shots and next year's UK team could be one of the best if not best shooting teams that Coach Cal had at UK. Then underneath with Richards, if Bamba comes or BAM stays with Gabriel and SKJ will be one tough frontcourt for UK next year. This could be one outstanding team if all the pieces of the puzzle aligns in the next couple of weeks with BAMBA decision and also waiting to see what BAM does and then reel in CAM Johnson from Pitt and this is a potential Final Four team and a good shot winning another Championship. I am more excited if we can get Cam Johnson to transfer here to add to our shooters for next year with Alexander, Green, Diallo if he returns and Vanderbilt and PJ Washington two forwards that can shoot the ball and this will be one outstanding shooting team next year!

I like this link better. :48 mark...Still waiting for something to go wrong Pat?
Said UK hiring Cal was an "April Fool's Day joke" and that IU hiring Tom Crean was "a home run hire." That's all you need to know - for him to get each of those so laughably bad means he either doesn't know a lot about college basketball, or he's so biased against Cal that nothing he says about him has any value. That's it, those are the only choices....

Said UK hiring Cal was an "April Fool's Day joke" and that IU hiring Tom Crean was "a home run hire." That's all you need to know - for him to get each of those so laughably bad means he either doesn't know a lot about college basketball, or he's so biased against Cal that nothing he says about him has any value. That's it, those are the only choices....

Matt Jones said he heard Pat Forde, in person, say that he was going to bring Cal down. Goodman at least has a reasonable excuse for hating Cal. I don't know what Forde's deal is.

I was not offended by article. I have the same questions. If Diallo leaves and we do not get Bamba it will be first year with no Top 10 OADs. PJ, Green , Vanderbilt and and Richards do not replace Bam, Fox, Monk and Briscoe. Gabriel and SKJ are not equal to Willis and Hawkins.
If we get Diallo and Bamba with other six freshmen we should be better next year than last year. We will have more depth

So what Pat is trying to tell us is..... Cal has made his bed. Wonder why he didn't just use that phrasing?

Matt Jones said he heard Pat Forde, in person, say that he was going to bring Cal down. Goodman at least has a reasonable excuse for hating Cal. I don't know what Forde's deal is.
Surely that's an exaggeration? I don't have any doubt he detests Calipari, but it's kind of hard to believe he thinks he can "bring him down" or that, even if he's delusional enough to think it, that he'd actually say it out loud in front of others.

You're right - the story goes that Cal tried to get Goodman fired once, so I can understand why they may not make goo-goo eyes at each other. Forde, far as I can tell, simply disapproves of Cal's "methods". He has said before that as dirty as college football recruiting might be, it can't hold a candle to the "cesspool" that is college hoops recruiting, AAU world, etc. I don't think he thinks - like some delusional UofL fans - that Cal carries a satchel (or paper bag, whatever) of cash around, meeting recruits and parents in dark alleys and buying their services. I always thought that's ludicrous - any coach could survive doing that only so long, especially a coach with enemies, like Cal, who'd like nothing more than to rat him out. No, Forde just thinks the whole sordid business of recruiting top ranked basketball players is a swamp, filled with unsavory hangers on like WWW and many others who exploit kids, and Cal is chest-deep in that swamp. And, I'm sure, Cal's personality grates on him - you see that in the references and asides he makes (like in this piece, where he comments about the 'millions of times Cal will moan about his young team'). I don't think there's any direct conflict between them - he's a Pitino guy, so he's required to dislike Cal, plus the "swamp factor" and the personality = he just really dislikes him. It's a Rorschach test - when Forde sees Cal, all he sees is bad. That greatly influences everything he says about Cal, so naturally he says some dumb things, like Barnhart would regret hiring him. 8 years of amazing success later, I'm wondering if he yet realized how dumb that was......

Forde didn't write a story about UL's meeting with the NCAA a few days ago. Wonder why?

many years ago, I was dating a gal who was pretty cool. we were young and drama filled, but we were solid. at the same time, my friend was having an epic breakup with his girl.

all of my friends would gossip about the fights my girl and I would have, but never talked about the friend going through the break up.

one day, i asked why. the answer: "no point man, he's f***ed". analogy holds here.

The best use of Pat Forde's work is to print it off and line your bird cage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT