ADVERTISEMENT

“Quote” from Cal when he got the UK job…..

"The team had won a total of just two NCAA tournament games in the previous four seasons….that's not supposed to happen in Lexington."

– John Calipari
Well, he was right about that.

And do you know what’s even worse? UK winning only one tourney game in the last five years (and being nearly equally inept in the SECT). But here we are.

"The team had won a total of just two NCAA tournament games in the previous four seasons….that's not supposed to happen in Lexington."

– John Calipari
I think Cal had two intentions when he was hired. I think at the time he had some respect for Kentucky, but his narcissism got the best of him by allowing it to be "players first".

After he won his first title an old booster straight up asked Cal how he plans to catch UCLA now that after he won his first title at a booster luncheon. Cal looked at Ellen and said, "Glad that's over". The booster was a big donor, got up and left. Then stopped his donations.

Cal really wanted a 40 and 0 team, and I think after he lost in that final 4, his care for winning completely dispersed and his focus was no longer split between winning and NBA factory.

John Robic Left.

Mitch's dumb contract helped provide Cal to have a mind set to just coast at UK to focus on his NBA factory.

I believe this is a quote in his book, not a verbal quote. I saw someone that had a photo of a book and this statement was underlined.

He still said it, but I don't think it was during any new hire press conference.

But he also supposedly said, after winning the 2012 NC, something along the lines of "well, at least we got that out of the way", as though now he could focus on his true goal of "making" kids bazillionaires in the NBA.

I believe this is a quote in his book, not a verbal quote. I saw someone that had a photo of a book and this statement was underlined.

He still said it, but I don't think it was during any new hire press conference.

But he also supposedly said, after winning the 2012 NC, something along the lines of "well, at least we got that out of the way", as though now he could focus on his true goal of "making" kids bazillionaires in the NBA.
He did. I can go find the YT clip.

Reactions: delk4three
He did. I can go find the YT clip.
Ok, I'm not arguing he didn't say it. I just thought it was only in a book. If the book was written after, maybe he just included his quote into his book, or if the book was before the quote, he just regurgitated it verbally.

Doesn't really matter - he said it one way or the other and isn't holding himself to his own standard.

Ok, I'm not arguing he didn't say it. I just thought it was only in a book. If the book was written after, maybe he just included his quote into his book, or if the book was before the quote, he just regurgitated it verbally.

Doesn't really matter - he said it one way or the other and isn't holding himself to his own standard.
He's said tons of quotes in those books. One was he lies to the fans about injuries frequently to protect the ''kids''.

Reactions: NociHTTP

Yeah, that's correct. I think he also said it in the 30for30 documentary.

How many times is losing in the first or second rounds is it going to take until everybody knows he needs to go, how many. Hall of fame coaches with the players he has had don't keep losing to inferior teams with little known coaches, they just don't. His rhetoric is laughable now, like we eat first, or we are the gold standard, this horse sh__ and the college basketball world is laughing about it. Every time we lose in the NCAA tournament, he has more excuses than a drunk going to jail, and some people still believe them. Even the SEC tournament is out of reach for him now, he's convinced some that it doesn't matter, but it does. This program is at a crossroads now and a change needs to be made now or we will keep sinking down to a mediocre program, something I though Kentucky would never do.

• Angry
Reactions: catben and ukfan041
Everyone wants Cal gone but we have all saw and remember. We don’t need daily reminders of what was said 15 years ago.

I think Cal had two intentions when he was hired. I think at the time he had some respect for Kentucky, but his narcissism got the best of him by allowing it to be "players first".

After he won his first title an old booster straight up asked Cal how he plans to catch UCLA now that after he won his first title at a booster luncheon. Cal looked at Ellen and said, "Glad that's over". The booster was a big donor, got up and left. Then stopped his donations.

Cal really wanted a 40 and 0 team, and I think after he lost in that final 4, his care for winning completely dispersed and his focus was no longer split between winning and NBA factory.

John Robic Left.

Mitch's dumb contract helped provide Cal to have a mind set to just coast at UK to focus on his NBA factory.
Cal spends more time trying to placate Ellen to make up for his misdeeds than trying to win championships.

Her showing up on senior night in place of Wheeler is quite revealing.

There are Cal stories that have been buried by the media for a long time. Got to wonder how far he can push it before dirt spills. He should talk to RP about that.

Everyone wants Cal gone but we have all saw and remember. We don’t need daily reminders of what was said 15 years ago.
True and to be fair when he said some things they were true. We did eat first for a while and we were the gold standard. Times change and he didn’t navigate it very well. Ready to move on but acting like NIL and the transfer portal had no impact is silly. Bottom line is he had a great team this year and they were not prepared to win so that is on him and we can say that about most season going back several years.

True and to be fair when he said some things they were true. We did eat first for a while and we were the gold standard. Times change and he didn’t navigate it very well. Ready to move on but acting like NIL and the transfer portal had no impact is silly. Bottom line is he had a great team this year and they were not prepared to win so that is on him and we can say that about most season going back several years.

Agree completely!

Here's the photo. Has more impact.

Reactions: TheDude73

You are right. I absolutely recall hearing him say it

Reactions: TheDude73
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT